PDA

View Full Version : Writing Progress

Gardenarian
3-10-14, 2:44pm
My goal is to write 1,000 words (or so) everyday. I have done so for the past four days, though I haven't had a chance to today.

I hope other writers will join me in charting their progress, whether it is by word count, time spent writing, or projects!

As I posted in my other writing thread, I'm shifting from trying to be a professional writer to writing as a hobby - they look very much the same, but the difference is in my attitude - it takes a lot of the pressure off when I only have to please myself. :)

nswef
3-10-14, 6:22pm
I have been working on it as well. Never a professional, but now I am writing a story. I have signed up for a writers' g roup which is tremendous. Close, every two weeks, about 6 people, the leader is quite skilled and gives us prompts and encouragement. It's a great group for a beginning writer. I have been trying to write every day. I just finished an easy picture book for the local library contest. Probably won't win, but I have fun doing them.

Kestra
3-10-14, 6:53pm
Thank you for starting this thread, Gardenarian.
I returned to writing, outside of paid work, (after a 15 year hiatus) by writing a few things that were just for my own amusement.
Now I'm taking it further, though I still want to mostly write in ways that I enjoy.

My goal is a long term one because I want to prove my commitment to my business project before I further reduce my hours at my currently-paid work. The project isn't exclusively writing but that is the majority of it, at least eventually. Recently it's been a lot of website development stuff.

On January 18th I set my goal of 160 hours (the equivalent of 1 month of a full time job). I planned to be done by the end of May at the latest - 4 months. It's been 7.5 weeks and I have accomplished 87 hours towards my goal.

My general plan is two websites and becoming a personal money coach. I write a lot more about my intentions in my personal blog - see my signature - if anyone is interested. You can also check out my food website. My money website isn't quite ready for the big unveiling but is getting closer.

I'd love to keep hearing about everyone else's writing and goals. If you want anything read, from a reader or an editing perspective I'd be happy to help. Or if you just want someone to post encouraging comments on your blog like fidgiegirl does for me (thanks Kelli!) that's all good, too. Life's too short for absolute perfectionism or pointless fear (as I keep needing to remind myself). Just write whatever makes you happy, when it makes you happy, and we can support each other through the process.

Valley
3-10-14, 7:04pm
I'm going to a one day writing conference on the last Saturday in April. They have contests to enter, and I need to send in my submissions by April 5th. I won a blue ribbon last year, and it was very encouraging. So, I'm working on a few pieces now to submit. I'm editing and polishing 2 pieces that I wrote over the winter and I would also like to enter the first chapter of a book I've started for the 6 page critique that is offered as part of the conference fee.

frugalone
3-10-14, 7:13pm
I am seriously considering pursuing a master's degree in creative writing.
However, I don't have much material to submit for my portfolio for admission. I'd like to start a daily writing habit. I'm looking around for writing classes online (my schedule doesn't permit attending in real life) but they can be costly.

If anyone knows of any reasonably priced online workshops, please let me know!

Thanks, Gardenarian, for this thread and your other writing thread.

Gardenarian
3-11-14, 2:53pm
Hi frugalone!
That's why I started this thread - to help keep me writing daily.

Writer's Digest (http://www.writersdigest.com/writing-articles) has a ton of helpful information as well as forums. They may have writing groups; I haven't explored that. They offer writing workshops as well (they are pretty expensive.)
I just joined a group called "Mom Writers" (http://www.momwriters.com/contents.html) because I need help with time management...but so far it doesn't seem very helpful.
Google "free online writing workshops" and you'll get a lot of results.
I was in a writing group similar to nswef and found it incredibly helpful. I took it through a community education program and it was inexpensive ($200 per semester.)

A few books that I have found inspiring:
The 90 Day Nove (http://www.amazon.com/The-90-Day-Novel-Unlock-within-ebook/dp/B0046LV9AO)l
The Forest for the Trees: An Editor's Advice to Writers
A Writer's Time: Making the Time to Write. (http://www.amazon.com/Forest-Trees-Revised-Updated-Editors-ebook/dp/B0042JSOTE/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1394563416&sr=1-1&keywords=forest+for+the+trees)

I know quite a few people who have their MFA in creative writing and I have to say that, while they met some interesting people, most were disappointed with the results. They are no closer to being published than when they started, and I actually know a couple of people who were so intimidated by the programs that they gave up on writing entirely.

My writing progress:
I only ended up writing 600 words yesterday (had a small crisis), so I will try to do 1,400 today.

Gardenarian
3-11-14, 2:55pm
Kestra - really enjoyed your blog! I like that you keep track of your work time spent on their. Neat!

frugalone
3-11-14, 3:16pm
Thanks for the links and book suggestions. I think I used to own a copy of "Forest," actually.
I rarely ever think of publication, actually. This may be because I used to be a journalist and PR worker, and have had many things published. I would like the honor of having a master's degree in something I enjoy doing, tuition is free b/c I work on the campus, and I would like to develop a steady writing habit. Free time is something I have plenty of at the moment; hopefully I will learn to put it to good use!

Gardenarian
3-11-14, 3:53pm
Well heck, if it's free - go for it!

Kestra
3-12-14, 8:23pm
Kestra - really enjoyed your blog! I like that you keep track of your work time spent on their. Neat!

Thanks! I find the public posting of my work numbers very motivational. Especially when you are just writing on your own without any real deadlines it's useful to at least fake some accountability to someone.

For forums, I really like http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/. But I find it's better to stay off forums to get any real work done.

fidgiegirl
3-12-14, 9:36pm
I enjoy blogging but don't do as much as I would like. I tend to fall more into stream of consciousness which is great for a purge but not quite so great for the reader. I do really like to share the experiments I've done or things I've learned and would like to get back to that.

Yes, Kestra and I have been commenting on each other's stuff since last summer - it's so nice to get those comments and know that at the very least there is an audience of one. :)

I have learned something in my blogging fits and starts about my DH and I - if I want to seriously work on writing/blogging/any kind of online business (not exactly what this thread is about, but they are all related in my mind), having my own computer will be a non-negotiable. It never fails that I'd get in the zone and he'd inevitably end up wanting the computer for whatever his (more important :/ ) things were that he wanted to do. So then I'd get to where I wouldn't let myself get there because we'd just have a fight over it. Lesson learned, but not at a serious enough point in life with the blogging right now to justify the expense.

Gardenarian
3-13-14, 1:01pm
Oh yes, I need my own computer. I bought an old iBook on Craigslist. It is so out of date that all I can do is write and access my gmail account - it can't handle Pinterest or any other time wasters. And it is built like a tank. I save my writing to my thumb drive and also email it to myself.

Of course if you're blogging you need an up-to-date computer of your own! GO for it!

I've been keeping up my 1,000 words a day (and up to 4,000+ some days.)
Some is stream of consciousness stuff, some is very focussed. I'm taking a different view to writing these days - I'm using it as a practice, like yoga. Just as yoga helps to squeeze out the toxins from my organs, writing dispels the toxins from my mind. And I'm trying to keep that yogic spirit of non-comparison - 'Don't compete with anybody, not even yourself.'

I am also using the "infinite monkey" theory - quantity is more important than quality. "The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare." (Wikipedia)

In an art experiment they divided a class in two. Group A was graded purely on how much art they produced - they put it on a scale and weighed it. Group B was graded solely on quality. Guess which group made the best art? Yep, Group A, because they just got on with it.

Gardenarian
3-17-14, 3:58pm
I've been keeping up with my writing pretty well, though I'm having a lot of right shoulder pain that makes it a bit difficult.
How are you all doing with your writing?

Kestra
3-18-14, 9:48am
I'm on vacation from my day job and originally intended to keep up with my writing but so far haven't felt like it. Probably for the best to take a break from everything. I do keep thinking about it so hopefully when I return I will be eager and refreshed and be more productive than if I'd forced myself to continue.

Gardenarian
3-24-14, 2:16pm
Kestra - I like your more relaxed attitude about writing, and am trying to get to that place myself.
I find the less I force it, the more engaged I am, and the more I actually enjoy writing and like what I have written.
It's not waiting for 'the muse' to come, as I make time in my schedule for writing on a regular basis. But I find that sometimes making mind maps or writing lists turns out to be more satisfying than writing prose.

Dhiana
3-24-14, 6:34pm
I've been moving away from the writing part which is almost done and have been putting together art books with some of my recipes and coordinating stitch projects. I find it helps me edit my message to the most essential elements. Making me see my book from a whole new point of view, finding which photographs enhance the writing and which are simply a distraction.

Love the 'infinite monkey' theory you mentioned, that's what I've been doing with my work. Doing as much as possible and it really has been working for me. If I get stuck on one area of a project, I move to another project so in the end I have a lot more work done.

nswef
3-24-14, 6:59pm
Thanks for the push Dhiana. I've been quite excited about a writers' conference- my first- this coming Saturday. I've gathered all the materials for each pull out session, ordered business cards, and before that I finished my picture book for the local contest at the public library. I am working on a middle graders novel and have spent time organizing the chapters so I can write an adequate query letter ( had to look up wht it was and what it involves) to have critiqued at the pull out session. So, I feel I am making huge progress in getting published eventually. My writers' group leader is leaving which has left all of us kind of up in the air. I signed up for meet up .com but haven't committed to a group yet. I'm happy right now with all I am doing to move forward. Hope I can keep the momentum and not feel horrible after the conference that everyone is SO MUCH BETTER than I am. It's a worry I have to address and I think if I know it is something I might feel, being prepared for it will help.

Gardenarian
3-25-14, 2:13pm
nswef, you have been very busy! Good luck with the picture book contest!
What are you specifically worried about at the conference? Will you be sharing your work there? It sounds very exciting.

nswef
3-25-14, 4:40pm
I do fear that seeing too much othere better work might make me give up on my writing...there is a competitive streak in me that has sometimes sabotaged me. I'm planning to NOT react that way. I am more excited than anything!

Dhiana
3-26-14, 3:24am
I do fear that seeing too much othere better work might make me give up on my writing...there is a competitive streak in me that has sometimes sabotaged me. I'm planning to NOT react that way. I am more excited than anything!

I am not the best artist in my Art group, nor did I have the best work in our latest gallery showing :( But I'm not the worst!
Despite my inadequacies, I managed to be the only artist who sold work. 2 Pieces in fact :)

Writing is also about connecting with your audience. Find your audience and your work will be the best in that arena.

I read a lot, several hours a day. Usually an hour or two before I fall asleep and then a bit at 2AM when I'm wide awake for some unknown reason. I'm trying to fall back asleep so I don't want to read the most awesome, nail-biting, overly emotional, great-American novel. Just a nice, relaxing story that is properly edited.
Don't worry about those you think are 'better,' find your own niche.

Gardenarian
3-26-14, 2:00pm
Don't worry about those you think are 'better,' find your own niche.

Excellent advice. With the Internet, it is much easier to reach those in your niche. I have been reading about Long Tail distribution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Tail), which speaks to that. It's fascinating.

nswef
3-26-14, 2:08pm
Thanks Gardenarian and Dhiana, Each year I don't win the picture book contest I do go to the awards to see what has won. I find it enjoyable to see how other people write and draw. That doesn't discourage me, so I think I'll be fine at the conference. It's not a test! Just an opportunity to mix and see what is out there. I'm not much of a group person, so this is a big step to go put myself out there. I will report back. It's a good thing to have this group to express fears etc.

nswef
4-2-14, 4:19pm
The Writer's Conference was bedazzling...I was tired and disoriented after all day listening and seeing and being around so many like minded people. After I digested it all- it took two days- I decided it was a wonderful conference. International Society For Children's Book Writers ISCBW sponsored it. There were excellent speakers. I also made the decision that I need more time to polish up this one book, but plan to keep writing of course. This time next year I should be ready for some of the workshops on marketing. I signed up to be matched with some critique groups in our area. Today I met with a fellow writer from my library writers' group and we had a session of critique and then lunch. So I am making steps. She and I decided our first goal is to write every day for an hour, then organize our writing... Her goal is to make an income with her writing, mine is more to have fun.

Dhiana
4-2-14, 5:09pm
nswef - Very glad to read the Writer's Conference was a positive experience for you and that you now have a game plan in place for your work!

Gardenarian
4-7-14, 4:35pm
nswef - I'm glad the conference turned out to be fun and enlightening!

I've been writing a bunch of essays, poems, and stories, just whatever comes to mind. I have a long list of topics that I want to write about, so I just choose one for the day and start writing. This is a much more comfortable way for me to write. I'm writing an hour a day (though I miss the odd day now and then, which is okay.) I'm planning on putting my work into a blog eventually.

I still have my novel that is about 1/3 done, but I'm putting it on the back burner for now.

Gardenarian
4-13-14, 3:27pm
I'm on a writing mission this weekend - I have a whole bunch of little notebooks and journals, and I'm writing to fill up every page. When I'm done I'm going to sort through it all and get my stuff organized into various categories:
1) Blog-worthy material and ideas
2) Compile all my lists and reminders into a master to-do list
3) Sort and compile my fiction and poetry.

Currently I just write on whatever paper I have handy (there are old envelopes and scratch paper in there too.) My Big Plan is to carry notebook paper with me at all times, and then go through it on a weekly or daily basis, so I don't end up with piles of random scribbles.

How do you organize your writing?

When I am working on a big project, I do compose at the computer, but I do a lot of writing while waiting for dd, on break at work, or taking a rest on a hike, and I don't carry a laptop around.

Kestra
4-13-14, 8:53pm
How do you organize your writing?

Poorly.

Ha ha. I'm trying to get better but with most things in my life cleaning/organization isn't a high priority and things get out of control quickly. I'm virtually incapable of writing more than a couple words with pen and paper, so when I'm out and about I'll make notes on my smartphone. I email them to myself eventually and try to sort them out into different Word documents. I've been using Word's headings and table of contents feature to try to be more organized that way. I try to use different documents for different purposes and keep on top of them. I have a couple to-do lists for my two main projects. I've been adding the date to more document names and folder names, too. I also sort things into different folders in my email. I probably need a better system, but I find as long as I set aside time for organization it's good enough for now.

If anyone's working on a big project, you may want to look into Scrivener software. You can do a free trial. I bought it because it seemed really useful for working on books, but then I switched to shorter projects. I'm sure I could use it for blog post stuff, too, but books is where it's especially useful.

About my writing progress, I'm almost at my 160 hours of work goal. I feel like I've accomplished a lot, and could get a lot done if I was working full time on my projects.

Not directly writing, but as always I'm trying to network and be more involved in the community so I've signed up for an editor info-session thing, a lady entrepreneur thing, the train-the-trainer webinar through the website here, and plan to go to a local food thing as well and practice talking to the vendors. Definitely keeping busy and engaged with my business and writing plans.

Gardenarian
4-14-14, 12:12pm
Kestra - I'd live to hear more about the project your working on. What are your ultimate goals?

"I'm virtually incapable of writing more than a couple words with pen and paper." I find it hard to write by hand for very long, for physical reasons - hand gets numb, shoulder sore, etc. Is it more physical for you or is it a matter of speed, or other? I find it really interesting to find how others compose.

It sounds like you are making a lot of progress!

Kestra
4-14-14, 6:52pm
Kestra - I'd live to hear more about the project your working on. What are your ultimate goals?

"I'm virtually incapable of writing more than a couple words with pen and paper." I find it hard to write by hand for very long, for physical reasons - hand gets numb, shoulder sore, etc. Is it more physical for you or is it a matter of speed, or other? I find it really interesting to find how others compose.

It sounds like you are making a lot of progress!

Thanks for your interest. It makes me happy that in my life I'm surrounded by supportive people. No one so far has had anything negative to say about my plans. It's really great.

About pen writing: - physical (it hurts and feels awkward), illegible (I've always had poor handwriting, especially for a girl. In high school I also intentionally wrote poorly so that people couldn't read what I was writing over my shoulder - I survived high school by writing science fiction), and slow. I've worked exclusively on a computer for 8 years now, and even before that a majority of my writing was done on a computer. I've been writing on a computer since I was about 14 or so. Got my own computer at 17. Once I was out of school handwriting was limited to writing medical notes, marking papers, random notes to myself, etc. At least my handwriting is still better than some of the veterinarians I've worked with.

About my plans - there are way too many for my own good, but they currently include:
- being a personal money coach - consulting one-on-one about finances, budgeting etc, plus doing group talks/training seminars.
- being an YMOYL/FI mentor if people are specifically interested in that
- being a financial blogger
- running my food blog which is mostly restaurant reviews, often done while traveling (in my wildest dream of getting to travel because of the first 3 things)
- writing e-books - I want to do two small ones for now - one about money - working title is: "The Last Taboo - why we don't talk about money and why we should start", one about what I learned about making websites (more a pamphlet really - might sell that for $1-2)
- doing podcasts, especially for my money website.
- getting more involved in the local food movement. I have a big article idea for that, and might start a Tumblr blog about paying more for food. Working title for my article is: "Why I Want to Spend More Money on Food".

There's probably more, but that's plenty for now. The whole thing is to work for myself, do interesting things, help other people, be more active in the community, and within my own life. I'm thirty-seven years old and I don't want to keep putting things off; we don't know how much time we have. I'm in a position now that I can work as much or as little at my corporate job as I want, so I'm down to 26 hours a week - just enough to pay bills. I'll borrow against my savings for business expenses, which are minimal. And even if something happened and I had to quit my corporate job completely I have enough money to live 5-10 years without any income at all. So that's good enough for me.

Gardenarian
4-14-14, 7:15pm
You left out "Conquer the World" :-)

I think your plans are fantastic, and you are taking great steps to achieve them! I love the title "The Last Taboo..." very memorable.
I need more time to look at your websites - I also like charts but mine are usually hand-drawn and look like they were done by an eight year old.

Kestra
5-30-14, 7:25am
How is everyone doing? I've been mostly absent from here and my own money website as I tackle some foundation work on my business ideas. But a website upgrade and refresh is in the works so I look forward to adding new content shortly. I have an idea for a podcast that I hope to record and upload soon.

My original goal was to work 160 hours by end of May, and I'm presently at 260 hours, so goal well accomplished. Consistency is my usual downfall. I am very happy with how I am doing in that area. Here are my weekly hours since mid January:

https://mkestra.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/end-of-may-update.jpg?w=500&h=300

Even though I'm not always motivated, I've been managing to trudge along, which is what counts. There's no stopping point to a business - it has to be an ongoing endeavor to be successful, so I need to worry less about accomplishing things, and more about just working. Sometimes it feels that I'm getting nowhere fast, but yesterday I had a break-through after struggling with something for hours and that really gave me a motivational boost.

I've also got DH involved in website design; I'm very happy to have a project we can do together.

Otherwise, I'm off coffee again, so need 1-2 hours less sleep. (Summer probably helps, too.) It's finally beautiful weather here and I've planted a few container veggies and flowers - life is good.

nswef
5-30-14, 11:36am
Kestra, Congratulations of keeping on through the slogging part. I cannot say the same for me. I have a few projects of writing, a picture book in collaboration with an artist from my writers' group which tends to overwhelm me- never having done it, my own little novel that is finished but now needs rereading, editing and I'm am sure I will be adding things, changing things and then the assignments from the writers' group every 2 weeks, that I am not feelign right now. But I do try to write every day or do some writing activity- Thanks for the wee push today. You should feel quite accomplished!

Gardenarian
5-31-14, 9:58am
I was happy to see this thread resurface :)

I have been doing a lot of journal writing. I'm also coming at my novel from a different angle, writing some short stories to give me a better feel for the world and character I'm creating. Fun stuff. I feel like I'm making some real progress.

Kestra - that is a whole lot of work! I've tried blogging and website design but I always come back to pen, paper.

Nswef - if you ever need a reader for your novel, I'd be happy to help! I'm a better editor than writer, I think.

awakenedsoul
5-31-14, 10:25am
Last week I wrote an article on tap dancing to use for publicity. I'm teaching a class at the Senior Citizens Center. The woman in charge there has good connections with the local newspapers and radio stations. It felt really good to be writing again! I used to write a column and feature stories for a magazine called Dancer. They went out of business, and I stopped. The article motivated me to get started on a book.

Gardenarian
5-31-14, 2:54pm
That's great. awakenedsoul! How fun to see your work in print!
I wonder if being an experienced performer makes you less anxious about writing than many of us?

awakenedsoul
5-31-14, 3:19pm
Gardenarian, Maybe...I've got to go back and read those posts. For me, it's very therapeutic. Having a column gave me structure. I had a certain number of words each month. They gave me a lot of creative freedom at the magazine, so it was fun to write about people who inspired me.

Henry Le Tang used to tell me, "What have you got to lose?" He was Gregory Hines' teacher. I always try to go for it. I'd rather face a rejection than a missed opportunity. It also helps me to have a goal. That way I take steps toward reaching that goal each day.

Gardenarian
6-2-14, 1:07pm
"I'd rather face a rejection than a missed opportunity."

That's a great philosophy :)

awakenedsoul
6-2-14, 6:36pm
Thanks. It's part of the business in show business. I really enjoy training, auditioning, coaching, and practicing. If the audition goes well, I feel it was a success. Sometimes they're not even hiring. I look at writing the same way. If you study some of the famous songwriters, they write for hours every single day. They are so dedicated! I think that's what it takes, to immerse yourself in it!

I just watched a couple of master classes OWN. Both Stevie Nicks and Justin Timberlake poured themselves into their work. I've been listening to interviews of Bob Gaudio on Youtube, too. He had his first hit, "Short Shorts" at age fifteen! All of them spent hours and hours of writing and making their dreams happen.

Kestra
6-11-14, 8:40pm
Well, I did it. I put my first podcast on my website. It was quite a lot of effort, time, and self-education for 13 minutes of resulting podcast, but I did it! Of course, I don't think it's great, as I need more practice, but it's not terrible either. No way to get better without just doing it, right? And I'm trying to live my philosophy of doing random and fun things.

http://www.moneytipscanada.ca/media-item/episode-1/

Take a listen if you want.

OwlGirl
7-23-14, 7:21am
I'm new but have been reading this thread with interest. I'm 20,000 words into my first novel and I'm having trouble getting motivated. I know what's going to happena nd how it's going to end it just seems so daunting. I've written short stories for a long time and am not used to keeping a project going for so long, maybe I have a short concentration span. Any advice on keeping it going would be great.

tetrimbath
7-23-14, 12:17pm
Maybe you've already found your style, the short story. Can you serialize the story? Modern publishing allows many more forms than were available ten years ago.

Kestra
7-26-14, 9:19am
I'm new but have been reading this thread with interest. I'm 20,000 words into my first novel and I'm having trouble getting motivated. I know what's going to happena nd how it's going to end it just seems so daunting. I've written short stories for a long time and am not used to keeping a project going for so long, maybe I have a short concentration span. Any advice on keeping it going would be great.

People have different methods. When I was in my early 20s and just wanted to finish a novel I'd been working on for years, I woke up an hour early and wrote before work. Every day. But I didn't have that much left so I was probably done within a couple months and I had no responsibilities except work and lived alone.

What sometimes helps me now is to have a specific ritual that gets me into the writing/working mood. I tried to replicate what I do when I go to my paid job. So I get up, eat, don't dawdle for long on the internet, shower, then go for a short walk like I would do on my way to work, come home, make tea, then straight to my computer.

You may already do this but write the scenes out of order. Do whatever one speaks to you at that time, even if it's something you later scrap. You can also do various character analysis things that you probably won't actually use, like how does the character interact with someone else, what is their blog like, what is their music playlist?
I'm not good at forcing myself to do things, but I try to be aware of my changes of mood. If I feel the slightest bit motivated to write, or exercise, or clean or whatever, I try to ride that motivation. Like if you feel sort of like writing, don't do housework or anything else. Just write until you can't take it any more.

Maybe some of that is helpful. I'm hardly a pro or anything, just an on/off student of writing.