PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite books about decluttering

Marion
3-18-14, 8:55am
I have a major problem with clutter : I live in a small studio appartment (31 m2 = 333 square feet ?), and on top of that, I do have a problem hanging on to stuff (clothes, books, you name it).

The two following books always inspire me when I am in need of encouragement and motivation for decluttering :
- Karen Kingston's "Clear your clutter with Feng Shui" (short and very effective, not because of the Feng Shui bits in it, but because it motivates me)
- and Cindy Glovinsky's "Making Peace with the Things in your Life" (great in depth explanation of the problem and good solutions).

What are your favourites ?

catherine
3-18-14, 9:02am
I like reading about people who are considered minimalists. Their lifestyle stories really inspire me to the point where I don't even need a "how-to" book--I'm so inspired, I just do it! However, I also have Karen Kingston's book, and I do like it a lot.

Those include Peter Lawrence, The Happy Minimalist; Joshua Fields Millburn & Ryan Nicodemus, The Minimalists; Francine Jay, Miss Minimalist (who has been a member of this forum).

I also like to read about people who live on less for political or environmental reasons. An example is the book Twelve by Twelve by William Powers, or The Good Life by the Nearings, or the writings of Peace Pilgrim. Again, the books are about how to declutter, but they show by example how great life can be if you have less.

herbgeek
3-18-14, 11:44am
The one that turned me around was "Organizing from the Inside Out" by Julie Morgenstern (?). I'd read a lot of how-to's that seemed like they worked for someone else. This book got me to thinking about what would work for ME. And although there are times the place gets cluttered (like when on a work crunch), it basically has stayed organized for a very long time (with periodic cleanouts every few years).

Gardenarian
3-18-14, 1:46pm
"Apartment Therapy: The Eight-Step Home Cure (http://www.amazon.com/Apartment-Therapy-Eight-Step-Home-Cure/dp/0553383124)." I love this book.

For keeping things neat and organized, I like "Sidetracked Home Executives: From Pigpen to Paradise. (http://www.amazon.com/Sidetracked-Home-Executives-TM-Paradise/dp/0446677671/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395164739&sr=1-1&keywords=home+executive)"

Marion
3-18-14, 11:11pm
These are great recommendations, thanks for posting them, they have been added to my reading list :)

Joyous_5
5-23-14, 3:46pm
I'm really interested in minimalism as of late and completely inspired by Joshua Becker (http://www.becomingminimalist.com/about-us/)--have purchased two of his e-books. Also, Francine Jay (http://www.missminimalist.com/) who Catherine mentioned and Be More with Less (http://bemorewithless.com/books-and-courses/)--great ebooks and I'm also trying out the 333 Project (33 items of clothes/accessories for 3 months) and really enjoy the blog and books of the founder, Courtney Carver.

Great thread! :)

shadowmoss
5-24-14, 7:33am
Walden by Henry David Thoreau. The first chapter gets me going again.

danna
5-24-14, 7:42am
Peter Walshes book connecting losing the stuff to losing weight was very good!

Float On
5-24-14, 12:51pm
"Organizing from the Inside Out" is the one that really stuck with me. I loaned it out and never got it back. :( The other one that I kept and continue to re-read is "The Simple Living Guide" by Janet Lhurs (sp?)

simplelife4me
6-7-14, 6:42am
Never buy clutter (books about clutter) to get rid of clutter.

awakenedsoul
6-7-14, 12:59pm
I love Karen Kingston's books, too. I always think of that line by Peter Walsh, "What does this say about you?" He would ask people that on his Clean up your messy house tour that Oprah did. I ask myself that question a lot...

Marion
7-27-14, 3:53am
I also remember being inspired by a British TV program where they helped people declutter and redecorate their homes (can't remember the name of the show). The presenter was an American lady.

Lainey
7-27-14, 11:31pm
I also remember being inspired by a British TV program where they helped people declutter and redecorate their homes (can't remember the name of the show). The presenter was an American lady.

Was it Life Laundry? That show fascinated me and I still try to find episodes on the internet to watch.

danna
7-28-14, 8:37am
I have got all my declutter books from the library....free and not clutter...lol
Peter Walsh is still my favourite, I can't remember the name but, her figures if you lose
the clutter you will also lose weight. It seems to have worked for Dd and I.

Marion
7-29-14, 2:26am
Yes it was Life Laundry ! I really loved watching it, so motivating.
Dana, Flylady also makes the weight-clutter connection in one of her books (forgot the title). Thanks for your recommendation, I will check it out.

awakenedsoul
7-29-14, 11:47am
I just watched an episode of this show and I really liked it. Thanks for the name!

Marion
7-29-14, 3:15pm
Danna, I live in Paris, so the library doesn't have all these great American decluttering books :(
Though I think the Karen Kingston one has been translated to French.

Awakenedsoul, you are welcome (I love your alias btw :)!

pony mom
7-29-14, 11:09pm
I enjoyed Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui as well. I love this:

"Life is constant change. So when something comes into your life, enjoy it, use it well, and when it is time, let it go. Just because you own something, it doesn't mean that you have to keep it forever. You are just a temporary custodian of all the things that come into your life."

Now if only I can put this into practice...

Aroha
7-31-14, 3:39am
that's a great quote. I have received some wonderful items lately, now it's time to let go some of the other things that I have had till now.

19Sandy
8-27-16, 10:58pm
Marie Kondo's books about Spark Joy!