PDA

View Full Version : Where would you go?

Spartana
3-27-14, 7:16pm
After many years of being tied down by one thing or another, I will finally be free from all obligations and unencumbered soon and able to travel where ever I want, for as long as I want, and by any means that I want. So, if you were in my shoes (hiking boots :-)!), where would you go first and how?

herbgeek
3-27-14, 7:44pm
US: visit National Parks that I haven't seen yet
Europe: go hiking through Switzerland or Italy- maybe through a Road Scholar trip.

iris lilies
3-27-14, 7:49pm
this is just a damn gloat, disguised as a travel question.

:D

Alan
3-27-14, 8:06pm
this is just a damn gloat, disguised as a travel question.
:D
LOL, I think you're right about that. But it's not just a damn gloat, it's a jealousy inducing damn gloat. One I intend to foist upon you all in a few years myself.

When we do it, we'll be doing the National Parks thing, along with historic sites ranging from Key West to Alaska, and all points in between.

Spartana
3-27-14, 8:21pm
Hey Iris Lily - I think I remember you saying you missed all those gloats on the "enough" board. I'm only trying to comply with your wishes :devil::devil: Of course you can come along with me. Leave the dh to tend the dogs and all the flowers!

And of course if I can make someone jealous - oops I mean entice them to a frugal early retirement - then my job is done!

Herbgeek - I also though about doing all the National Parks first too. I've been to a bunch over the years but have always had a dog (or 2) with me so couldn't really spend anytime doing that. Since I'd be leaving from SoCal it would be an easy drive to go from here cross country with stops at the nat. parks. Then maybe get rid of the truck and fly somewhere???? from the east coast. Also thought that doing something like a train trip to Washinton State and then taking a ferry up the inside passage to Alaska would be cool. Have a friend in Anchorage (where I use to live) I can stay with for the summer (that'll make Alan jealous!).

Alan
3-27-14, 9:03pm
Have a friend in Anchorage (where I use to live) I can stay with for the summer (that'll make Alan jealous!).
Yes it would. Send me pictures from Chilcoot Charlies. "Come and play in my back yard, at Chilcoot Charlies in Spenard".

Spartana
3-27-14, 9:09pm
Yes it would. Send me pictures from Chilcoot Charlies. "Come and play in my back yard, at Chilcoot Charlies in Spenard".Good Ole Chilcoot Charlies - many a fond memory of that place. Hazy drunken memories but fond :-)! I heard The Birdhouse burned down though. I'm sure you have hazy drunken fond memories of that place too :-)!

OK I really wasn't trying to gloat but was looking for ideas and inspirations - as well as trying to keep the boards alive and well with some new posts on different topics. Basicly trying to see what other's would do if they were able to run free with no constraints (other than some financial constraints as none of us are rich).

Alan
3-27-14, 9:16pm
Uh, no,,,,,,I have absolutely no memories of bras and panties tacked to the walls of an old gold rush era miner's cabin.
http://www.alaskadispatch.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/image_detail/images/topic/alaska-travel/bht.jpg

Spartana
3-27-14, 9:40pm
Ha Ha - and I have no memories either of tacking up either my bras or panties up on the walls of the Birdhouse. Nope, no memories whatsoever :-)!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5jI-RYQVUqM/SKzFU0JpgpI/AAAAAAAAAOw/sE0UNb-xkww/s400/359773773_e7f1b7770e.jpg

Mary B.
3-28-14, 12:04am
After the tacked-up bras and panties in the last post this will be a bit of a letdown I expect -- :) -- but personally I've always wanted to travel around Europe with a train pass and no really fixed plans.

And if I was going to do that, and was leaving for Europe from the east coast of the U.S., I'd go to New York and spend quite a bit of time in the Museum of Modern Art and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. There are lots of specialized art museums in Europe, and the Met and MOMA would give me some ideas about which ones I wanted to visit.

Of course I don't know if you have any interest in European art! So it's a bit presumptuous of me to suggest it. But if you do, in the spirit of these boards let me remind you that many museums have one day a week that's free or much cheaper than usual!

sweetana3
3-28-14, 7:04am
Go to Thailand with Kasma. She is at thaifoodandtravel.com.

We did and enjoyed it so much, we are going again this November. Almost 100% all inclusive and less than 1/2 the cost of any American tour company. We took her Oakland CA cooking class before choosing to go with her and it was also a wonderful experience.

We will be in France in a month and are looking forward to the history of the place. We decided to take a Road Scholar tour but I would have been just as happy to plant myself anywhere in France and just enjoy it.

Japan was my absolute favorite destination. Modern, clean, friendly, exotic, safe, lovely.

NYC terrific.

Portland was a great trip since it was so easy to get around and could visit wonderful mountain and ocean locations easily.

I am from Alaska and would recommend a visit.

Selah
3-28-14, 7:16am
Man, the imagination runs wild! On my list would be a long trip through Central Asia and as many parts of the old Silk Road(s) that would be safe to visit; taking the Trans-Siberian Express from Moscow to Ulan Baator (in the SUMMER); Bulgaria, SE Asia (Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Japan, Indonesia), Dubai, Buenos Aires, ALL over India, ALL over Italy, South Africa, all over Central and South America, Montreal, Greenland, Iceland, Nova Scotia...who in the heck has time to work?!

The only places in the above list that I have already visited are Italy on a few trips, passing through Bulgaria on a bus, and Iceland for a six hour layover in which I got a chance to stroll around the capital. I'd love to visit other parts of the Middle East--I've been to Egypt, Turkey, and Tunisia already, but American-Israelis aren't exactly welcome in these places just at the moment!

Another dream I've had is to get passage on a cargo ship and see what strange places I'd end up visiting. I love port cities...the weirder the better, and I deeply regret never having visited fabulous Murmansk when I lived in Finland twenty years ago!

shadowmoss
3-28-14, 10:00am
I'd spend part of a winter in Central America. Starting either in Cost Rica or Roatan and hitting the beaches of El Salvadore, Panama, and all places in between,as well as some inland areas and going back to some places where I spent time in Honduras.

What is going on with the dogs? Your sister going to take them?

ToomuchStuff
3-28-14, 11:18am
Let me threadjack for a moment. For those of you responding to this, have you always been travelers?

(wondering if my lack of travel wants, comes from a lack of travel exposure?)

herbgeek
3-28-14, 1:03pm
I'm a wannabe traveler. I've seen some stuff in the US and Europe, but not nearly enough. My husband doesn't like to travel (although he usually has a good time on the trips I've nagged and naggged him to take) and I'm not confident enough to be traveling cross country alone. I'm hoping that when my grand nieces get older, I'll have some eager companions. So meanwhile, I dream about all the places I /could/ go.

JaneV2.0
3-28-14, 1:11pm
I'm not much of a traveler. There are a lot of places I wouldn't mind seeing--if I could be teleported there, and then spend a couple of months. That's not likely to happen.

Teacher Terry
3-28-14, 1:17pm
I have always liked to travel for 2 weeks & then I want to go home. I went to Thailand & would never go back-polluted air/water, etc. It was pretty though. I like Europe much better. I have been to upstate NY but now want to go to Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire in the fall. Recently we have been exploring CA because it is so close & has many beautiful spots. I also love the National Parks but they are not dog friendly.

Gardenarian
3-28-14, 1:46pm
The West Coast Trail. (http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/bc/pacificrim/activ/activ6a.aspx) I hope to make it there someday.

gadder
3-28-14, 3:46pm
Let me threadjack for a moment. For those of you responding to this, have you always been travelers?

Good question. I think travelling is an in-the-family thing, and if you didn't do it growing up then it is much less likely you'll get bitten by the travel bug. Me, my relatives are in Germany and India, and also growing up, dad packed everyone into the car with camper trailer attached and we visited KOA and other road-side campgrounds across N. America (great service BTW!).

Where would I go now, given time (yup) and money (nope)?

Closer to home.
- Travel culturally to various festivals in small and big towns around my city, Agricultural fairs, Music festivals
- Learning-based tours (e.g. a week on an historical sailing ship with lecturers on-board).
- Travel through social class - ever spent a few nights in a homeless shelter? (note: poverty tourism for kicks is rather disgusting, but as an aid to helping and understanding it's OK.)

sweetana3
3-28-14, 4:29pm
Both my husband and myself rarely went anywhere on vacation with our family while growing up. We both were too poor.

We had been married 10 years when I decided we were going to Europe for 4 weeks. We had our tickets, a Eurail pass and ferry reservations. What an exhausting trip. But we made it and had a whole lot of memories. Made it over several times and then took parents to London for their 40th wedding present. On the way got free tickets to anywhere PanAm flew by giving up our seats on original flight. That got us to India which was the farthest we could fly on their system and the most exotic. By then we had the bug and each time we saved up enough leave we would go somewhere. The world was changing so fast (I call it Americanizing) that we wanted to see it now.

Now retired, we are up to two long trips a year for the next few years. I can only think of a couple of places in the US I want to visit and we can do those later.

Selah
3-28-14, 4:35pm
Yes, I have always been a traveler. My earliest jaunts started around the age of three, when I moved with my mother from Seattle, Washington, to Ann Arbor, Michigan. I began flying unaccompanied back and forth to Seattle to visit my father at the age of eight. At fifteen, I toured Europe with an international choir and never looked back. I was an exchange student during college and went back to England twice on work permit programs. After college, I went back to England and trained as an English teacher, and worked in Finland, France, England, and Ireland. Now I live in Israel and love it, but I sure wouldn't mind having a second home in Italy and a time-share in London! :)

Dhiana
3-28-14, 6:24pm
Everywhere! Seriously, my list of places of places I wouldn't go is much, much shorter than all of the things I want to experience in this amazing world.

A lovely old Japanese woman gave me some great travel advice when I mentioned how surprised I was that she had not visited several places in Japan. She said she will explore what is close to home when she is no longer able to travel overseas. So do the most physically demanding things while you still can, the easier things closer to home as you age.

catherine
3-28-14, 7:17pm
How about spend three months at a time in your favorite places? That's what I'd do. I'd spend three months at Ocean Grove, NJ; three months near my brother in Minnesota, three months in Burlington VT, three months in Portland OR, Three months in LA, three months in Connecticut. That would take care of over a year.

Spartana
3-29-14, 11:33pm
Thanks for the ideas and input everyone. Making me drool just thinking about all the options. I should ad that I will try to do a budget version of travel and plan to stay within $1500/month for everything. Housing/lodging, food, transportation, etc... Grungy backpacker staying at hostels using rail passes (or biking) seems least expensive, as does Catherines idea of staying in one place for several months at a time. Could just rent a cheap apt or even a room. Much to think about.

Spartana
3-31-14, 8:56pm
After the tacked-up bras and panties in the last post this will be a bit of a letdown I expect -- :) -- but personally I've always wanted to travel around Europe with a train pass and no really fixed plans.

And if I was going to do that, and was leaving for Europe from the east coast of the U.S., I'd go to New York and spend quite a bit of time in the Museum of Modern Art and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. There are lots of specialized art museums in Europe, and the Met and MOMA would give me some ideas about which ones I wanted to visit.

Of course I don't know if you have any interest in European art! So it's a bit presumptuous of me to suggest it. But if you do, in the spirit of these boards let me remind you that many museums have one day a week that's free or much cheaper than usual!

I did do the train trip around Europe years ago. Had a 2 month Eurail Pass and loved travelling that way - just a small backpack and staying at hostels. Definitely something I'd love to do again and this time be able to see all the great works of art. Didn't really get to do that last time. Thanks for the tip on free museum days. I know they have those in the USA so good to know they have them in Europe as well.

As of now I am leaning towards Herbgeek's suggestion of doing a car trip (camping probably) of the National Parks before heading anywhere further away. See how it goes with my sister watching my (our) dog for longer than a week. Hoping that will work out good. Will be leaving in a couple of weeks so the southwest and Calif Nat. Parks areas should have good weather by then- not too hot and not too cold - just right for Goldilocks. Just hoping I don't run into the 3 bears...in my tent...late at night... :-)!

new2oregon
3-31-14, 9:08pm
Spartana, if you make it to Oregon Hells Canyon is supposed to be a nice drive. You can check it out on you tube. I plan on checking it out this summer. I like the Nat. parks and camping idea. I think you will have a great time.

Spartana
3-31-14, 9:11pm
What is going on with the dogs? Your sister going to take them?My older dog (the crippled Border Collie who I pushed/rode around with in a bike trailer) died last August so now I have just the little 20 pound Terrier. One that was my Dad's who we (sis and I) inherited after he died. My sister is getting a place that allows dogs near her work so she'll be able to keep The Barkinator (AKA Latte) with her. I may still take her with me if I do a car trip (leaning towards doing that first as it's the easiest for Lazy me :-)!) but I think she'd be better off staying with my sister. I did take her on a long road trip of a couple of months last Fall up the Calif coast and she did good, but it is pretty restrictive being with a dog 24/7. And so few places allow dogs.

Spartana
3-31-14, 9:22pm
Spartana, if you make it to Oregon Hells Canyon is supposed to be a nice drive. You can check it out on you tube. I plan on checking it out this summer. I like the Nat. parks and camping idea. I think you will have a great time.Thanks! I've never been to Hell's Canyon but have heard a lot about it. Would really like to go to the Nat Parks up that way - Rainer, Olympic, Mt. St. Helena, Crater Lake, etc... So many too see. If I drive I'll be able to take my mountain bike to ride a lot of the places which would be fun.

Spartana
3-31-14, 9:45pm

(wondering if my lack of travel wants, comes from a lack of travel exposure?)I do come from a family of wanna-be travelers. Both parents had wanderlust big time but in different ways. My Dad liked to move constantly and stayed in the military for 30 years so he could do that while he had a job. My Mom liked to be settled in one place (i.e. home) but liked to take long trips to different parts of the world each year for a few weeks on vacation. I am more like my Dad in that aspect in that I really dislike the "travel" part of travelling (like Jane I'd rather just teleport once and stay put awhile) so prefer to go once and stay a longer period of time - or at least not have to go home after 2 or 3 weeks. So I tend to take long trips (a month or more) and prefer to stay in one area for a longer period of time before moving on to the next place. One of the books that inspired me to retire young so I could travel was by a guy and his wife (Paul and Vicky Terhorst) called "Cashing In On the American Dream: How to Retire at 35". This couple did just that. Sold everything, put their fairly substantial savings from high paying jobs (and frugal living) into safe investments (bonds at that time I believe) and then proceeded to become "PT's" - perpetual travelers. They would go to an inexpensive country - Thailand for example - rent a nice but modestly priced apt and live there for long periods of time. They became involved with the culture, learned the language, travelled locally, and lived like the natives. Then they would move on eventually to somewhere else. They eventually settled down and bought a house in Argentina and last I looked at their website that's where they were still. They have lived like that for a long time (a few decades) and their lifestyle is one I find would be suitable to me also. Here's there website. They are older now but started this lifestyle when they were 35: https://sites.google.com/site/paulvicgroup/

Spartana
4-7-14, 7:00pm
OK guys - I'm leaving tomorrow morning on the first part of my trip - planning on doing a tour of the National Parks in the west (south to north) first and then?????? Taking both the dog and my bicycle and "gear" so will try to do part of it bike touring if I can hack it with the dog (probably can't :-)!). No time limit to get back home (house hasn't sold yet but have a house sitter and sis is around) and no real plans - just meandering. Will check in (with photos!) when I can.

happystuff
4-11-14, 4:51pm
Have a fun and safe trip!!!!

Spartana
4-16-14, 2:04pm
Thanks! So far took a bicycle trip (with my dog in a basket on the handle bars) down the coast from the LA border to the Mexican border. Then a trip out to Joshua Tree & Mojave Desert Nat Parks in my truck (with dog and bike to use while there). Home now to move sis into her new digs then off again this Sat for a much longer trip heading north and stopping at all the Nat Parks.

frugal-one
4-16-14, 2:35pm
Sounds awesome Spartana! Keep us posted on the parks you visit. Would love to check them out sometime too!

JaneV2.0
4-16-14, 8:54pm
Bon voyage, oh intrepid one! Be careful...

Spartana
4-16-14, 11:06pm
Bon voyage, oh intrepid one! Be careful...

I think you mean "decrepit" one :-)! Tired - must have ice cream poor blood!

gimmethesimplelife
4-17-14, 12:37am
I would go to one of my three favorite places in the US - Bellingham, WA (cool place!), Austin, TX, or Tucson, Arizona. Safe travels to you and enjoy! Rob

Spartana
4-17-14, 2:33pm
Yeah I love Bellingham (one of my top ten places to live if I ever settle down somewhere). Like Tucson and Austin as well but am not a desert person (not fond of the heat, dryness and treelessness of the desert - at least not longer than a couple of days) so am looking for "green, moist, tree covered"!

gimmethesimplelife
4-18-14, 2:14pm
Yeah I love Bellingham (one of my top ten places to live if I ever settle down somewhere). Like Tucson and Austin as well but am not a desert person (not fond of the heat, dryness and treelessness of the desert - at least not longer than a couple of days) so am looking for "green, moist, tree covered"!Check out Flagstaff, AZ, maybe? Pine trees and cool air. And during the summer monsoons very cool and moist. And funky like Bellingham. Rob

Spartana
4-18-14, 4:54pm
I love Flagstaff too and surrounding area (our greats minds DO thing alike :-)!!) and will probably go back there soon as I plan to go to the GC along with some of the other National Parks. Still have to take the dog with me for now so it's limiting - especially in Nat Parks where you can't take them anywhere - but will be able to leave her with my sister once she moves into her new place (well that's the plan but we'll see). If it works so she can take the dog then I want to go somewhere more exotic - thinking Iceland first (with a one way ticket of course :-)!) as it's one place I've never been and have been dying to see. But I won't be able to do something like that until the dog gets settled and the house gets sold. So will continue to be a road warrior in the USA for now. Trying to most of it on bike with the Barkinator in tow but not sure that will work out as she (and I) can only take so much.

The Barkinator in full attack mode:

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1387&d=1397856970

JaneV2.0
4-18-14, 8:29pm
I think you mean "decrepit" one :-)! Tired - must have ice cream poor blood!

Haha! No, I'm the decrepit one. (And getting more so by the day--I need to take a hike.)
And the Barkinator is adorable!

Lots of nice, leafy areas in Oregon and Washington...

shadowmoss
4-19-14, 6:47am
If you do make it anywhere close to AZ, let me know. I have a dog-friendly place you can stay. Well, I just got 2 cats, so it could get somewhat interesting, but we would work it out. :)

Gardenarian
4-19-14, 3:43pm
Spartana - A bicycle trip to Mexico!! I'm imagining you on your bike like Dorothy and Toto. Where did you stay on your trip? How did you carry your stuff?
I just think that is so cool that you did that.

Reyes
4-20-14, 1:26am
Vietnam. We went last year and enjoyed it. Took some great cooking class. You could very easily stay there on less than $1500, very easily indeed.

Spartana
4-24-14, 5:04pm
Spartana - A bicycle trip to Mexico!! I'm imagining you on your bike like Dorothy and Toto. Where did you stay on your trip? How did you carry your stuff?
I just think that is so cool that you did that.Chased by wicked witches and flying monkeys? Well not that bad but it was an experience that I'm in no hurry to repeat. Dog freaks out in traffic and practically kills us both! Fortunately that route (one I've ridden many times before) has long spells of paved off-road bike paths that go along the beach - or off the main highway (Hwy 1) at least - so wasn't too bad. I just stayed in motels and only carried a tiny amount of stuff in my panniers. But am looking at rail-trails now and might try that with her next. My sister moved into her new place and is taking the dog with her this weekend and maybe longer if it works out. So will see how that goes and how long it lasts. I'm going riding with a friend from San Simeon down to home in Orange County (if we can make it that far before calling someone to come get us :-)!) and will again stay at motels (easiest). Not exactly bike touring but it's the best I can do now. Maybe something longer in the future.

That's for the invite Shadowmoss - may take you up on that if I'm ever in PHX.

Reyes - I actually would love to go to Vietnam someday. I live in Little Saigon (largest Vietnamese community outside of Vietnam) and find the history and culture pretty cool. Of course it is probably a bit to much like "home" though but we don't have ancient structures here though :-)!

Reyes
4-28-14, 8:11pm
Eugene, Oregon is a lovely place to visit:-)

Spartana
4-28-14, 9:19pm
Eugene, Oregon is a lovely place to visit:-)Lets see if I have your address correct :-)! Yes, Eugene is lovely. Spend some time there with one of my other dogs hiking all the great trails in the big parks in town and riding on the bike path along the river. Loved the downtown area too. Looks like I will end up taking my dog with me where ever I go (no foreign exotic trips for now) so imagine I'll end up around that area sometime soon. When does it stop raining :-)? I went on a bicycle trip for 3 days this weekend and of course it is the first time in about a million years it has rained in Calif and I got stuck in it (and in very cold 50 mph winds) so not too keen on cold rain right now. Of course it's suppose to be in the 90's tomorrow so cold wet places will sound great soon.

Gardenarian
4-29-14, 2:44pm
Cool - I was recently reading about rail trails and they sound fun, though many are very short.
I'd love to go on the long walking trails in England (http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/) - in the Lake Country, along Hadrian's wall. They have a coastal trail that is over 600 miles long!

Spartana
4-29-14, 5:43pm
There are quite a few longer distance rail-trails in the US but I think if you want to do a real long distance bike ride - say over 300 miles - you will probably have to mix it up with on-road and off-road trails. Can't remember the names of most of the long distance ones off hand - other than the Katy Trail, GAP, and the C & O trail (which I've done part of) - that are completely off road rail trails but I know more exist. Nothing like the European routes though but they have more of a biking/walking culture then we do here in Carville. Would love to do the long distance paths in England and have many maps of them I occasionally pour over. One of my dreams!

http://kk.org/cooltools/archives/1903

Reyes
5-2-14, 6:38pm
Let me know when you are heading to Eugene. You and puppy are welcome here (assuming he/she is cat (x6!) friendly:-)

Spartana
5-2-14, 7:17pm
Thanks - All packed and leaving tomorrow to continue checking out the Nat Parks. First to Lake Tahoe to visit some family (with stops in Sequoia, Kings Canyon and Yosemite Nat Parks on the way) after that I'll probably try to visit some of the more northern Nat Parks. So if I'm near Eugene I'll give you a shout. The pup may not like your many kitties though so maybe meet for coffee.

rodeosweetheart
5-4-14, 9:02pm
If you decide to come out Northern Michigan way, give us a holler!

Spartana
5-16-14, 12:46pm
If you decide to come out Northern Michigan way, give us a holler!Thanks! Just back from some Nat Parks here in the west (in the unbearable heat!) and heading east next week. Don't know if I'll make it as far north as Michigan but will give you a holler if I do. Will actually take my laptop with me on that trip (usually leave it at home).

Tussiemussies
5-16-14, 2:42pm
Hi Spartans, remember I g as 've you some information a few years ago from the Readers Digest book, Americas Most Scenic Drives? That book has a lot of great information. How about getting that and seeing where you want to go? I did a search for it and it is still available, just cannot copy and paste since I am on a Kindle. Sounds like a great time in your life!

happystuff
5-18-14, 7:02am
Glad I revisited this thread - great to see a pic of the Barkinator!!! Too cute!!!

Oh, and have I mentioned how envious I am of your travels? ;)

Enjoy!

Spartana
5-18-14, 3:20pm
Hi Spartans, remember I g as 've you some information a few years ago from the Readers Digest book, Americas Most Scenic Drives? That book has a lot of great information. How about getting that and seeing where you want to go? I did a search for it and it is still available, just cannot copy and paste since I am on a Kindle. Sounds like a great time in your life!Thanks for the reminder Tussies! I still have all that info you send me (and again a BIG THANKS for taking the time to do that!) and will take it all with me. My plan had been to continue north to Wash and then take Hwy 2 across country. However my ancient old truck is just in too bad of shape to be trustworthy so I came home and am now car shopping. Once I find something then I can continue. I really hate to do a long car trip - would rather just fly to the east coast or up to the Pac NW - but with the dog it's really the best choice. Plus it does allow me the freedom to see more places in the middle of the country that I have never seen.

The Barkinator thanks you for the compliment Happy stuff. She KNOWS she's cute - and like cute young girls worldwide - can get away with anything :-)!

Tussiemussies
5-18-14, 3:25pm
So great Spartans that you can have this opportunity. I just can"t imagine you going by car!!! Once you get your urinary, if you want I will look up where you are going if you would like....

Spartana
5-19-14, 10:01am
Once you get your urinary, Ha Ha - Gotta love spell-check :-)!

No itinerary (no urinary either :-)!) just going to drive and see what happens. The only "plan" is to get to New England at some point. What route I take will depend on weather mostly.

ToomuchStuff
5-19-14, 11:25am
How about defining too bad of shape to be trustworthy? That says to me, there are problems you know about (and choose to ignore) or it is just a mileage thing (400+k miles). How capable are you of working on it yourself?

Spartana
5-19-14, 1:57pm
How about defining too bad of shape to be trustworthy? That says to me, there are problems you know about (and choose to ignore) or it is just a mileage thing (400+k miles). How capable are you of working on it yourself?Yes to all of the above! Yes it has many problems that I have chosen not to do anything about unless absolutely needed. Yes I can fix most things myself but am a lazy-butt and don't really want too. And yes it has a lot of miles (too me - around 150K) that it may break down somewhere (as it did on my last 2 shorter trips but was easily able to fix myself) and I don't want to have to deal with repairs and breakdowns again - and especially don't want to have to do roadside emergency work myself and really don't want to have to pay to repair things on an old truck. But, besides being a lazy-butt, I am also a cheapskate-butt and really don't want to spend money to buy a newer car just so I can do a long road trip (truck is fine locally).

So what to do??? Buy a new or used inexpensive compact car or a more expensive mid sized SUV or mini van so I can haul al my stuff with me? Or just keep the truck to use at home and rent a vehicle when I travel? Maybe look into a one-way rental (Calif to east coast) for a month, then ride my bike with dog in tow in trailer up the east coast, then do another one way rental back to Calif.? Or I could just stay home and ride my bike to the beach everyday - it's free!!

Tussiemussies
5-19-14, 5:10pm
LOL I'm on kindle and a lot of times it changes words on me!!!!

herbgeek
5-20-14, 4:52am
New England? If you get anywhere within 50 of so miles from me, I would like to meet you. PM me for my email.

Spartana
5-20-14, 1:40pm
New England? If you get anywhere within 50 of so miles from me, I would like to meet you. PM me for my email. That would be fun! I've been trying to get back there for years - this time I will (I know I can, I know I can :-)!) - and would like top do a loop (Calif to Florida to Maine to Washington to Calif). Just have to get my car situation figured out.

Hope to get out of this:

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1408&d=1400608957

into this:

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1407&d=1400608946

rodeosweetheart
5-21-14, 6:42pm
Do let me know if you get up by TC, and Barkinator is welcome!

Spartana
6-10-14, 9:07pm
Do let me know if you get up by TC, and Barkinator is welcome!Thanks! I just returned from Southern Utah (Zion, Bryce, Cedar Breaks) and it was great. Didn't take the dog so was able to do some nice hikes and explore a bit more. Still haven't gotten a new vehicle (still renting) so haven't been able to go too far from home yet. Guess I need to force my inner cheapskate into parting with some money for a new car. UGH - where's that creaky wallet with the bats flying out of it emoticon someone has here :-)!

gimmethesimplelife
6-10-14, 9:27pm
Thanks! I just returned from Southern Utah (Zion, Bryce, Cedar Breaks) and it was great. Didn't take the dog so was able to do some nice hikes and explore a bit more. Still haven't gotten a new vehicle (still renting) so haven't been able to go too far from home yet. Guess I need to force my inner cheapskate into parting with some money for a new car. UGH - where's that creaky wallet with the bats flying out of it emoticon someone has here :-)!Hi Spartana! Good to see you back here! I love love love Zion - I have went there before on camping trips with co-workers when I was working the Grand Canyon and so far it's my favorite national park. I love how I feel so connected to nature there as you stand there and look up at the scenery as opposed to the Grand Canyon where you stand and look down. Somehow looking up at the scenery and being level with the water source that cut through the rocks to create the scenery works for me better. Did you get to spend any time in Springdale? Rob

Spartana
6-11-14, 9:05pm
Hi Spartana! Good to see you back here! I love love love Zion - I have went there before on camping trips with co-workers when I was working the Grand Canyon and so far it's my favorite national park. I love how I feel so connected to nature there as you stand there and look up at the scenery as opposed to the Grand Canyon where you stand and look down. Somehow looking up at the scenery and being level with the water source that cut through the rocks to create the scenery works for me better. Did you get to spend any time in Springdale? Rob

I also love Zion - well I love all of southern Utah as I think it is one of the most spectacular places on the planet. Of course didn't get to spend as much time there as I would like to but it was great. Would have liked to go to Kanab to visit Best Friends (who is the heir to my not-so-vast fortune should my sister die before me) and the north rim of the GC but not enough time (next time!). Passed thru Springdale but stayed further north around Brian Head and Cedar Breaks (another of my favorite places).