PDA

View Full Version : The First Chakra: How do you stay grounded?

awakenedsoul
4-2-14, 12:22pm
I'm am very interested in the chakra system and how it fluctuates. The foundation is the first chakra. It has to do with family issues, survival, having enough food, shelter, and money for your basic needs. It's also about using your inner talents.

What do you do to stay grounded? Have you studied the chakra system? My favorite books on the subject are: True Balance, (Sonia Choquette,) The Eight Human Talents, (by Gurmukh,) and Your Aura and Your Chakras. I also like Ravi Singh's books. (on Kundalini Yoga.) What are yours?

Here are some of the things I do to stay grounded: Clean the house, garden, ride the bike, walk the dogs, organize my finances, cook, do laundry, knit, mend my clothes, and bake bread. How about you?

Signs of an unbalanced first chakra: You always have an ache or pain of some sort. You never have enough money. Ravi says "If the energy is stuck there there's a tendency to be clinging, coarse, overly stubborn, and exhibit signs of an anal retentive personality." He also says it can also manifest as "very ungrounded or spacey behavior."

Please only participate in this thread if you believe in, or are open to the idea of the chakra system. Accupuncture and yoga are based on it.

bae
4-2-14, 12:29pm
Please only participate in this thread if you believe in, or are open to the idea of the chakra system. Accupuncture[/FONT] [FONT=comic sans ms]and yoga are based on it.

Semi-bunny-trail:

I have practiced a form of TCM for 35+ years now. I do not believe acupuncture is based on the chakra system, that is a bit of an overreaching claim. There are similarities and overlaps, clearly, but TCM and Ayurvedic medicine are different traditions.

awakenedsoul
4-2-14, 2:07pm
bae,

As you know, I don't read your posts. (This is the second one I've read.) Please start your own thread on TCM or whatever interests you. This is not a debate thread.
Please do not quote me and do not reply to my threads or posts. It makes me uncomfortable.

Thank you,

awakenedsoul

bae
4-2-14, 2:32pm
Wow.

herbgeek
4-2-14, 3:04pm
Wow indeed. This is the second thread I've seen where someone is saying who can participate in their thread, and what they can or cannot say.

awakenedsoul
4-2-14, 11:08pm
herbgeek,

You're both off topic. This thread is titled: The First Chakra: How Do You Stay Grounded? Manipulation doesn't work with me. Stop trying to derail my thread.

bae
4-3-14, 1:26am
You derailed your own thread, Awakened. I in good faith offered a comment directly related to your original post, and you responded with violence. Which makes me uncomfortable.

That's usually indicative of a problem with your second chakra balance.

goldensmom
4-3-14, 8:01am

razz
4-3-14, 8:58am
Another wow and I was going to respond.

Float On
4-3-14, 9:20am
Ravi says "If the energy is stuck there there's a tendency to be clinging, coarse, overly stubborn, and exhibit signs of an anal retentive personality." He also says it can also manifest as "very ungrounded or spacey behavior."

Maybe this quote needs a little deeper thought?
If you put something out here in print....you can't say who can or can't reply. One sided thoughts are not the only one's allowed. It's a "discussion" board.

To not be offended....do not offend.

And I can't resist this question "What do you do to stay grounded?".....well, for starters I try not to jump too high.

goldensmom
4-3-14, 9:29am
Please do not quote me and do not reply to my threads or posts.
I can't help it......"Wet Paint. Don't touch".

Rogar
4-3-14, 12:28pm
I am not a big student of the Chakra systems, but do have a small handful of yoga DVDs and among my favorites are ones by Maya Fiennes, which focus on the chakras using Kundalini yoga. I get a pretty decent feeling of wellness from practicing with these. I also believe that some or many of the signs of a weak first chakras have a more practical western explanation in diet and excersize. It's my understanding that the chakra system relates to "qi" which can or does include acupuncture as well as yoga and marital arts, though I'm not quite following how organizing finances and knitting fit in, but like I said, I'm not a big student. I used to walk and trail run with Vibram five fingers, which was much like going barefoot. Unfortunately I suffered a bruised heal and gave it up (sort of reminded me of Steve Martin's "optigrab"). It was pretty grounding.

I enjoy the posts from both Bae and Awakenedsoul. For the record, no exadurated wow from me.

awakenedsoul
4-3-14, 12:48pm
Thanks Rogar. I've always enjoyed the maturity and wisdom in your posts.

To the rest of you,

Congratulations. Mission accomplished. I've learned so much from you. Enjoy your mocking. You have created remarkable change on these boards.

goldensmom
4-3-14, 2:22pm
<awakenedsoul> Sarcasm.....good counterpoint? I appreciate all views, opinions on this forum from you and from others. By the way, you told me not to respond but I 'disobeyed', slap me with a wet noodle. As I didn't know anything about Chakra system I looked it up and learned something today. Relax, all is well, smooth those feathers.

Gardenarian
4-7-14, 5:37pm
awakenedsoul - I respect your right to set your own boundaries, and it is probably important for staying grounded!
I am just learning about chakras - they are often mentioned in yoga class, but I don't know much about it.
From what you wrote, I feel like I must have something going on with the first chakra, as I always long to be outdoors, with the earth, and often feel scatter-brained.
I need to look into this some more.

awakenedsoul
4-7-14, 6:41pm
Gardenarian,

Thanks. Yes, connecting with the Earth is great for first chakra balancing. I spend a lot of time in nature for that reason. Exercise, organization, and routine help, too.

The threads on housekeeping, enjoying your work, and having a clothesline are also related. All of those things are grounding to the first chakra. When you're grounded, you know where your car keys are, you remember where you parked your car, you stay up on car maintenance, chores, etc...

It's about stability and security. Also, family issues...

rodeosweetheart
4-8-14, 8:05am
Do you know anything about the throat chakra? I have had problems in the lungs/throat all my life and have been curious about the realtionship with the chakras. After I was ventilated for 2 weeks, I had lasting damage to my vocal chords and lost the top part of my range, which is pretty horrible for a singer, which I was. What would make this chakra open--if I am reading this right, doing the grounding activities helps the first chakra, right? So what would help with the throad chakra?

awakenedsoul
4-8-14, 10:30am
Hi rodeosweetheart,

Right. Grounding activities help balance the first chakra. The throat chakra is another one many people have that's out of kilter. It has to do with your creative expression. Saying what you need to say, speaking your truth, verbalizing your feelings, etc. The classic case of a blocked throat chakra is having a lump in your throat. Ideally, we speak the truth (throat chakra,) from our heart. (heart chakra.) When this center is out of balance, people swear, scream and yell, argue about everything, pick fights, antagonize, etc. They often have addictions that enter the body through the throat: food, smoking, drinking, etc...You can hear the resonance of this chakra in the tone of a person's voice. If it's is balanced, the voice is rich and calm. If not, a person may sound shrill, sarcastic, angry, or hollow. When it is weak, the voice will be nearly inaudible, or barely a whisper.

The top part of your range would be your upper chakras. I have also worked professionally as a singer. (With Broadway touring companies.) The very high notes are associated with your crown chakra, which is the space above your head. The third eye center would correspond to soprano notes that are more in the second soprano range.

As far as helping the throat chakra: singing, speaking in a positive, encouraging way, chanting, humming...all of these work in a vibratory way. Expressing yourself artistically helps, too. Decorating, crafts, art, music, etc. It's about expressing your creativity. (Like you did as a singer.) In yoga, shoulder stand and neck rolls are given to heal the throat chakra.

The first chakra is the foundation. So, sometimes when we straighten things out there, it speeds up the self healing proccess.

rodeosweetheart
4-8-14, 11:12am
The top part of your range would be your upper chakras. I have also worked professionally as a singer. (With Broadway touring companies.) The very high notes are associated with your crown chakra, which is the space above your head. The third eye center would correspond to soprano notes that are more in the second soprano range.

As far as helping the throat chakra: singing, speaking in a positive, encouraging way, chanting, humming...all of these work in a vibratory way. Expressing yourself artistically helps, too. Decorating, crafts, art, music, etc. It's about expressing your creativity. (Like you did as a singer.) In yoga, shoulder stand and neck rolls are given to heal the throat chakra.

The first chakra is the foundation. So, sometimes when we straighten things out there, it speeds up the self healing proccess.

Oh, thank you for this info. Okay, this is fascinating because it is the upper notes I lost-- a whole octave from D to F above high C. I had no voice when I came out--jsut a weird low monotone, and over a couple of months notes came back, plus ability to pitch. But I still have nothing at all from that Eb on up, which is definitely crown chakra.

I will look into to throat things you say--and yes, I have completely shut down creatively over the past 5 years. But I wonder, if I work on the crown chakra, too, if I might get some of those notes back.

And they did come back in the order of the lower notesat first (3-6 months) then the second soprano notes (another 6 months) and now stuck, never got any further. . .

The one doctor I talked to about it said they could inject me with botox; not sure why further paralyzing vocal chords would help with paralyzed vocal chords. . .

Thank you for a great topic--I have been digging my compost and enjoying sunshine over the past two days and feel infinitely better, so I hear you on the grounding., Things starting to green up when I pull the compost and frozen snow chunks off--very hopeful.

gimmethesimplelife
4-8-14, 11:23am
AW, hi! I have a question for you. If I wanted to learn more of the basic of the chakras and how this all works, do you know of a good beginner's book? Just curious.....Rob

awakenedsoul
4-8-14, 12:31pm
Rob,
True Balance by Sonia Choquette is excellent. Shirley MacLaine wrote one, too. I can't remember the name, but you could probably google it. I used to use her meditation tape for balancing the chakras.

rodeosweetheart,
That's great. Yes, that was also what I thought about the top notes. The crown chakra is your connection to your spiritual source. So, prayer, meditation, higher thought, inspirational reading, etc... open and balance that one. Incidentally, the first chakra and the crown chakra are connected. So, probably you'll see improvement by working with both. Our voices drop as we go through menopause. I can no longer sing a high C. Most singers have to lower their music around 50. Most of the parts for women 40-60 in musical theater are for mezzos and altos for that reason. Most women can't sing that high at this age. It doesn't mean something is medically wrong. You may have gained an octave in the other direction...on your low notes.

rodeosweetheart
4-8-14, 2:05pm
Hi Awakened,
I know what you mean, and I should have pointed out that due to age, I already could not sing a high C, could not get above a G without strain, due to age.

but this loss was dramatic, and I really need that space between a D and F, you know?

And for the best example of what you are saying, look at Marianne Faithfull (or rather, listen to!)

Thank you for the very interesting awareness about the crown chakra--I am researching it now, things to do!

awakenedsoul
4-8-14, 8:42pm
I was thinking about this on the way to my sight singing lesson. Things like art, beauty, and culture all balance and heal the upper chakras. Classical music, going to museums, seeing live theater, Broadway musicals, ballet, and opera. (Even just watching DVD's from the library.) All of these activities are medicine for the chakras.

I noticed the students and the teacher in this class had very balanced throat chakras. They were polite, they listened, they were respectful, and all were excellent students. Part of his teaching is that is has to be a safe environment. No one tried to make us feel stupid or untalented. It was very inspiring and uplifting.

The teacher was very grounded. He was on time, organized, prepared, and patient. He told us to practice a little bit everyday, not wait till the day before the next lesson and try to cram. The material is very structured and ordered. That's all first chakra stuff. I loved it!

gimmethesimplelife
4-8-14, 10:31pm
I was thinking about this on the way to my sight singing lesson. Things like art, beauty, and culture all balance and heal the upper chakras. Classical music, going to museums, seeing live theater, Broadway musicals, ballet, and opera. (Even just watching DVD's from the library.) All of these activities are medicine for the chakras.

I noticed the students and the teacher in this class had very balanced throat chakras. They were polite, they listened, they were respectful, and all were excellent students. Part of his teaching is that is has to be a safe environment. No one tried to make us feel stupid or untalented. It was very inspiring and uplifting.

The teacher was very grounded. He was on time, organized, prepared, and patient. He told us to practice a little bit everyday, not wait till the day before the next lesson and try to cram. The material is very structured and ordered. That's all first chakra stuff. I loved it!I don't know much about chakras - but about art, beauty, and culture? I was at the Phoenix Art Museum recently and there was a collection of Madeline Allbright's (former secretary of state under Clinton) pins that she wore while out on the world stage - apparently she used pins to communicate how she was feeling or what type of mood she was in or how she felt about various negotiations. It was utterly fascinating and I left the museum in a good mood. So my point is I do think there is something to this. Rob

catherine
4-9-14, 7:55am
I've been spending some thinking about this. I stay grounded by staying in the moment, most of all. And as you said, simple household tasks of everyday living is a great way to do that--the Zen "washing the dishes" is exactly the kind of grounding I try to achieve.

I also stay grounded by monitoring my time around people with negative energy. I have a bad habit of wanting to be a savior, and sometimes spend too much time enveloped in toxic energy. I am starting to really "feel" it, and I've just realized that toxic energy really is almost like carbon monoxide--you can take one step back or try to disengage mentally, but sometimes that's not enough--you have to seek out fresh air. I remember when my father was drinking when I was a kid, his pattern was to spend a few weeks sober and then go out and get a six-pack and then just sit in the chair in the living room and drink and drink and drink in his robe. I couldn't see that chair from the kitchen door when I entered the house after school, but I felt the downgrade in the energy the minute I walked in and it was always heartbreaking.

Yoga also helps--I like the standing poses for just a quick "grounding check."

reader99
4-9-14, 10:16am
AW, hi! I have a question for you. If I wanted to learn more of the basic of the chakras and how this all works, do you know of a good beginner's book? Just curious.....Rob

Careful Rob, years ago I tried to balance my chakras using a book, screwed them up and had to pay to get them professionally rebalanced.

awakenedsoul
4-9-14, 11:38am
Your feelings are the best guide. Anything that inspires you is good for your chakras. Like Rob said, most of us feel uplifted after spending time in a space that opens our mind...higher thought. Like Catherine, I limit my exposure to toxic people and situations. Some people thrive on negativity and conflict, but I don't. As reader99 said, some people have negative experiences if they go about it in the wrong way. (I did that by doing imbalanced kriyas that I was making up myself from a book.) So, the common sense stuff is safe and healthy. (Fresh air, nature, exercise, order, cleanliness, etc...)

I'm amazed at how much better I feel in the a.m. after doing two hours of housework each day. Instead of feeling guilty for procrastinating, I feel energized and on track.

Soundinjoy
4-14-14, 12:33pm
Hello awakendsoul,
I'm new to these boards but very familiar with chakras and various forms of natural healing (working in the field for 20 years). I would love to respond but found the tone of the first few posts in the thread very odd. Is there a history in these boards that would explain it? I'm not trying to derail your thread, just wondering about this site in general.

shadowmoss
4-14-14, 12:45pm
I believe she was saying she wanted to discuss how to balance the chakras, not debate whether they are valid or hokey pokey woo woo or not. Just the way I read it, and I've been on these boards over a decade. We sometimes have people here who want to make fun of things they don't understand. She was saying (I'm assuming) that this isn't the thread for that.

awakenedsoul
4-14-14, 2:26pm
Hi Soundinjoy,
Yes. There is a history on these boards that would explain it. I'll send you a PM. Sorry for the negative tone. I would love to hear about your work with the chakras and what you've learned.
Thanks shadowmoss. That's exactly what I meant. I find it very helpful to stay grounded. I ended up starting some other threads that gave me the same answer to the question.
On this thread, I'm not interested in convincing someone that the chakras exist. I thought there might be more people on this forum that have studied the system and use it in their work or daily life. It's one of my favorite subjects...

Float On
4-14-14, 2:42pm
Soundinjoy,
Welcome! We love for anyone to be able to participate in any message thread from any position or thought or belief.
If I were to start a thread stating that I wanted only Tea Party Members to comment....I could expect to be called out by comments as well. (ummmm...I'm not a Tea Party type, just using that as an example)

awakenedsoul
4-14-14, 7:43pm
Catherine,
I forgot to say that what you described about your father is definitely first chakra stuff. Anyone in an alcoholic home has an unbalanced first chakra. As you said, you felt the shift in energy the minute you walked in the door. Animals sense unsafe environments, too. When you are grounded, you feel safe and secure.

I took out the last sentence of my original post. This thread is really about what you do to stay grounded. Kundalini Yoga has a direct tie in with accupuncture and the meridians, but that was complicating the subject.

Knitting is grounding for me now, but it wasn't when I first learned. I had to rip out rows, start over, and learn how to fix my mistakes. A friend of mine called it a "very stressful hobby." Now that I understand the techniques, it quiets my mind, relaxes me, and I have something comfortable to wear when I'm finished.

Yarrow
1-10-15, 3:33pm
Soundinjoy,
Welcome! We love for anyone to be able to participate in any message thread from any position or thought or belief.
If I were to start a thread stating that I wanted only Tea Party Members to comment....I could expect to be called out by comments as well. (ummmm...I'm not a Tea Party type, just using that as an example)

:+1: