PDA

View Full Version : OK all you moms out there (young/old), let's get-together and unite!

Mrs-M
3-15-11, 10:58am
I'm talking "moms night out"! I'd love to hear from those of you who practiced this old-timey rule (once a week rule if things were good in your home) where you got out and away from it all (when your kids were little/young) to allow yourself a little down time. A chance to cast aside the bottles and diapers for an hour or two and escape all the fuss.

Just this past weekend my mom was sharing her "moms night out" stories with us and talk about what a hoot! Always having to rely on a babysitter because DH (my dad) wouldn't touch a diaper or wipe a nose! :laff: Then of course because dad flat out refused to be at home (same time as the sitter was there), he too would have to find something to do (out of the home) while mom was out for the night! :laff:

I wasn't as lucky as some moms were who managed to pull themselves together (faithfully) one night out of each week to get away from it all (because like my dad, my husband also refused to do diapers or runny noses), however once my oldest daughter reached the age where I could rely on her to babysit for an hour or two for me, out I went! Usually over to my moms (or SIL's) where we'd play cards, drink tea or coffee, play Scrabble, watch TV, or just talk.

Stella
3-15-11, 11:34am
I do this weekly, usually on Fridays. I go to my friend's house most of the time. It's essential for my sanity. My husband is excellent at giving me time to myself. He grew up with a single father so his example of what a dad does is...everything.

Bastelmutti
3-15-11, 11:44am
I'm not a stay-at-home mom and have never been, but my DH was a stay-at-home dad. Because I worked at home, we were both around a lot. We now both work & kids are in school. We try to have nights out separately with friends/family or time to pursue our separate interests as well as the occasional date together w/out the kids. No schedule, it just flows.

I did love my night out last week for Mex food and margaritas with my girlfriends! And I have to say, as a work-at-home-er, I feel like I need to institute this rule for myself just to get out of the at-home rut.

IshbelRobertson
3-15-11, 6:25pm
My children are grown and GONE (well, semi-gone, they always seem to be ringing up to come for a weekend or a week or so!)

I have a group of wonderful friends whom I've known forever. We usually meet (at my house - because they say I'm the best cook!) once a fortnight for a great afternoon tea. Cakes, scones, home-made jam, various types of tea and GOSSIP. We also have dinner in twos and fours during the month, too.

Mrs-M
3-15-11, 10:39pm
Stella. Good on you! Every mom deserves a little "mom" time. :) My moms night out (typically) was midweek (Wednesday) if all went well. I followed in her footsteps and chose the same when things worked out.

Bastelmutti. Sounds like you have a great arrangement. The Mex food and Margaritas sound delicious! Lucky you! :) Getting out for the evening in the company of good friends (along with good food and drink) sure has a way of recharging ones spirits.

IshbelRobertson. Regarding your kids ringing you up to schedule weekend and weekly visits with you, thanks for the heads-up on that! :laff: Something for me to look forward to when the time comes in our family. The scones and cakes and homemade goodies sound delightful IR!

Bastelmutti
3-15-11, 10:56pm
Thanks for posting this! I decided to take the evening off from my to-do list and also schedule some "me time" tomorrow. It's been a long time coming due to general busy-ness.

Mrs-M
3-15-11, 10:58pm
Way to go Bastel! You deserve it!!! My turn next time. :)

Rosemary
3-15-11, 11:13pm
I catch up with friends during school hours 1-3x/week. Before our kids were in school, we often met with kids and let the kids play while we talked. Evenings are very difficult for me, as my husband's research requires lab time that often extends late in the day... and my friends have husbands who are on call or travel often, so evenings are difficult for them as well.

Zoe Girl
3-16-11, 9:16am
I had a year or two where 4 of us women would meet on Saturday mornings at Starbucks every week. That is where my addiction started, lol. It was nice because we were in a small town and had few other women who thought like us so we really depended on that Saturday morning. Evenings were a mess, the dad's worked in the city 50 miles away and getting home was always a challenge, and one mom worked nights. Still those were some good times,

Float On
3-16-11, 9:22am
When the boys were younger I really didn't have many opportunities to meet with other moms. Our business took up all our time. Now that they are in their teen years and I can get out of the house and leave them home alone I have one friend that I get together with every week or so for a sewing night. She has 5 little ones so she really appreciates the time out. I also have a group of ladies I meet with once a month for a knitting night. And then thru church we have women's events and outings.

Mrs-M
3-16-11, 12:39pm
Good morning Rosemary, Zoe Girl, and Float On! :) Great idea getting together with others and allowing all the kids to play. I remember that from my childhood and how healthy it was. I find the getting out part is such an outlet for release, especially when in the company of the same-sex. There's comfort in it. It allows one to vent, to share, and to compare. FO. So nice of you to share your time with the mom of 5. I'll bet it makes all the difference in her world to have someone she can count on and share a little time with.