PDA

View Full Version : Reimbursement for Road Damage to Car

Cypress
4-22-14, 10:15am
In October, I had a terrible incident driving out of the city at about 8 pm. The street I was driving on had a hazard of several shallow trenches that were dug part way into the driving lane. One or two of the trenches were deep enough to cause damage to my car. The right back rear assembly broke and had to be repaired. The cost out of pocket was $483. I sent a claim for reimbursement to the city for payment. As the road was left in a hazardous condition in the dark with no markings, cones or anything to warn drivers off. The city took 12 weeks to answer my claim. I was referred to an insurance agency that did the road work.

The insurance agency has finally denied this claim saying they were not the agency responsible for that road work, it was somebody else. The agent only told me this yesterday on the telephone. I asked for this in writing as she stated she called the city inspectors office to make doubly sure their firm was not the responsible party. Meanwhile I do not know who is. The city said one thing and she is saying another.

Where on earth do I go from here? I am dang frosted for being shuffled around with right or wrong information. I don't know who is in charge.

Gardenarian
4-22-14, 3:00pm
Did you go through your own insurance company?

Lainey
4-22-14, 8:25pm
That's my question too - why isn't your insurance company handling this for you? But of course if you've dropped your comprehensive coverage though, it would be back on you.
If you live in the city, I'd ask your city councilman's office to help you. They have staff to help with constituent questions like this. If not, I'd pay a visit to the city office personally to talk to a live human being - I know it's a hassle, but for almost $500 that's worth it.

ToomuchStuff
4-23-14, 10:49am
I was referred to an insurance agency that did the road work.

The insurance agency has finally denied this claim saying they were not the agency responsible for that road work, it was somebody else. The agent only told me this yesterday on the telephone. I asked for this in writing as she stated she called the city inspectors office to make doubly sure their firm was not the responsible party. Meanwhile I do not know who is. The city said one thing and she is saying another.

Where on earth do I go from here? I am dang frosted for being shuffled around with right or wrong information. I don't know who is in charge.

Never known an issurance agency to do road work.:laff: The funny way I read that sentence aside, you said it was a road heading out of the city? Was it a highway (could be the highway dept)? Did you get any pictures of the site (a major help)? Another thought is do you have some kind of call for action reporter locally?