PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Sweden - although not for long

edpf
4-22-14, 10:45am
Hi, interested to be joining this simpleliving forum.

I am an Englishman just the wrong side of 40 currently living in Sweden. I quit my job for a software company in the UK three years ago, determined to forge a new direction for myself. I took some time out and travelled, played music and ended up in Sweden with my Swedish partner. Sweden has turned out to be a whole lot harder than I imagined it to be, and in my experience the anti-thesis of simple, self reliant living - more 'hand over your money, and we'll look after you how we see fit'. But thats another story. Determined to give Sweden a go, I struggled through the bureaucracy, hard winters and scarce job market until I had no choice financially but to return to the IT world. Luckily I got some work with a nice company as a web developer. A year and a bit later, tired of the constant struggle towards keeping my head above water let alone working towards my goals, I decided to return to the UK and found a good web development job. I still have a house in the UK so the transition back is not too painful.

My goal, as it was three years ago, which has taken a ,not inconsiderable, detour is to cash in my house in the next few years and buy something somewhere where i can live mortgage free, 25-50% self sufficient, grow veg, brew beer, have a workshop, make enough money with web development so that i can have some sort of cushion whether that be with contracts or ongoing work from home agreements.

Besides doing crazy things like moving countries I have been living simply for quite a few years. Live by the motto - useful or beautiful? - neither then chuck it. My partner, however, is a scaredy cat Swede, spoon-fed nanny state fear-mongering, emotionally blackmailed by the mobsters in state-funded insurance from the earliest opportunity! She is also a fairly serious hoarder! i am formulating a theory as two whether the two are intrinsically linked!

Nice to meet y'all!

Ed

Flic
4-22-14, 11:07am
Wow - what an introduction! I am also relatively new here Ed! And also the 'wrong-side of 40', but I find a lot of it feels better than how I felt before I was 40! We will see for how much longer ...

I am currently trying to forge a new path for myself, which simple means - getting out of London, and stop spending so much of my time rushing to catch trains and sittingin front of screens. Give me fresh air and carrots to dig up! A little piece of land ... just like heaven ...

mtnlaurel
4-22-14, 12:11pm
Welcome Ed (&Flic)!

Live by the motto - useful or beautiful? - neither then chuck it.

Love that!!!
I do hold on to some select items for sentiment alone, but have loved the advent of digital photos to take a pix then chuck.

So glad that you found the board... sounds like you're going to kick up some fun conversation around here.
There are other workshop folks on here too. You will love the photos that Bae occasionally puts up with things he's up to.

Gardenarian
4-22-14, 2:58pm
What an interesting tale! Welcome to the forum, Ed.
My husband has very romantic visions of Sweden; I'll share your story with him.

Sad Eyed Lady
4-23-14, 9:36am
Welcome to the forums Ed! Interesting story and as Gardenarian said those with romantic visions of Sweden will really find your introduction interesting! I detest cold weather but have often looked at the Scandinavian countries with a roving eye too. Thanks for sharing. Come on in and make yourself at home.

iris lilies
4-23-14, 9:42am
hey edpf, welcome! I've never been attracted to Sweden and I love the UK, so glad to hear you are back home!

edpf
4-23-14, 10:59am
Welcome to the forums Ed! Interesting story and as Gardenarian said those with romantic visions of Sweden will really find your introduction interesting! I detest cold weather but have often looked at the Scandinavian countries with a roving eye too. Thanks for sharing. Come on in and make yourself at home.

Well I guess if something seems too good to be true it usually is!

Look up Jante's law if you want to understand the Swedish mentality.

Spartana
4-24-14, 2:05pm
Hi Ed - And welcome. My Grandparents are both from Sweden and I have spent a fair amount of time there and love it. Love the UK too - was even born there but to American parents so am a US citizen. These boards have slowed down a bit lately (winter doldrums I suppose) but hoping new blood (yours!!) and interesting simple living ex-pat stories will awake some more interest. I know I love hearing about that kind of thing myself.

edpf
4-24-14, 3:23pm
Hi Ed - And welcome. My Grandparents are both from Sweden and I have spent a fair amount of time there and love it. Love the UK too - was even born there but to American parents so am a US citizen. These boards have slowed down a bit lately (winter doldrums I suppose) but hoping new blood (yours!!) and interesting simple living ex-pat stories will awake some more interest. I know I love hearing about that kind of thing myself.

Hi Spartana, Sweden is a very nice place to visit. Its a bitch of a place to live! Nice to meet you.

Selah
4-25-14, 8:30am
Welcome, Ed and Flic! Ed, I too gave up living in Finland decades ago, since after only two years the winters were killing me. The language was also very hard to learn. At the time, I lived simply due to poverty because of unfairly low wages (the company took advantage of ignorant foreign English teachers like me). I've led my life in various periods of complexity and simplicity, and generally speaking, living simply is more enjoyable for me. As I am also pushing fifty now, peace of mind and not having to worry about stuff or giant debts or crappy jobs is worth its weight in gold! Welcome!

lucas
4-27-14, 9:44pm
Welcome to the forum Ed!