PDA

View Full Version : Losing reading glasses

Gardenarian
5-13-14, 11:55am
I lost two pairs this week!

How do you keep from losing your reading glasses?

rosarugosa
5-13-14, 12:01pm
I think by the time you need reading glasses, you're better off if you're already an eyeglass wearer, and then you just switch to progressives or bifocals. I say this because my glasses are always conveniently located on my face, whereas my husband's reading glasses are a never-ending scavenger hunt. My solution thus far has been to keep buying cheaters, until there's a pair on every horizontal surface of our home, a pair in each car, in my purse, at work, etc., etc.

awakenedsoul
5-13-14, 12:19pm
I have three pair. I got them together at T.J. Maxx. I keep one pair in my purse, one on my desk, and one on the dresser in my bedroom. I think the secret is to put them away. Although the pair I use the most usually ends up sitting on my coffee table next to my knitting...

Sad Eyed Lady
5-13-14, 12:53pm
Lol! This is the mantra at our house - DH and me. Constantly walking through the house saying "Where's my glasses? Have you seen my glasses?"

Float On
5-13-14, 1:20pm
My husband has 8 pair of reading glasses and can never find them.
I'm at that point where I can't see with or without my regular RX and wear them on top of my head most of the time. The only time I really need them is driving or watching videos on the TV. I have 3 pair of regular Rx and 1 pair of reading. Three times this week I've discovered that I had 2 pair of glasses on top of my head while looking for a pair before leaving the house or watching a movie.

Alan
5-13-14, 1:59pm
Ahhh, the nuisances associated with advancing age. I can't read a thing beyond within the reach of my outstretched arm without the use of reading glasses. I keep one pair of readers next to my chair in the family room, one on the nightstand by the bed, one in the bathroom, one in my car, one in the motorhome and two at work. I also have a small fold up pair in the saddlebags of my motorcycle. I've found that it's extremely important to never, ever move one of those pair to another location because if I do, then I'm lost.

Before I settled on a tactic of cheater saturation I could never find a pair when I needed them, but even with that level of advanced preparation I'm often saved by the presence of my wife who also depends upon the use of reading glasses, although she conveniently always has hers perched on the top of her head or the end of her nose. When we're out and about and I forget to take mine into a store or restaurant, we share.

Packy
5-13-14, 2:44pm
WWHRD? "What-would-Harley-riders-do?". Ha. It's undignified and uncool to lose your glasses--makes you seem helpless and not in control. I think what you kids need is one of them old-school chains that attaches to the earpiece on your glasses, and goes around your neck. The glasses rest on your chest, when not in use. Another strategy is to have a designated spot--drawer, shelf, case, whatever--that you place your eyewear when not in use. Be consistent, put them there every time. Another thing is--don't be staying up late, watching Tv or reading till you fall asleep. That is the surest way to either misplace them, or even smash them by mistake. I think I will patent a "glasses finder app" for cell phones, so you can easilily locate missing eyewear. Unless, you've laid your cell somewhere, and can't find it,either.

Teacher Terry
5-13-14, 3:03pm
I use Alan's method. I also keep a pair in my purse, kitchen & glove compartment of car besides other places. I hate the chain thingy.

Alan
5-13-14, 3:22pm
WWHRD? "What-would-Harley-riders-do?". Ha. It's undignified and uncool to lose your glasses--makes you seem helpless and not in control. I think what you kids need is one of them old-school chains that attaches to the earpiece on your glasses, and goes around your neck. The glasses rest on your chest, when not in use.
You're obviously not a rider cause that's exactly what we do. Just a little tip if you ever try it though, when on the bike shove the glasses hanging on your chest down into your shirt, otherwise they blow around and become a distraction. Also, the ever present bike rider shades have to go on top of your head when not in use. See examples below:

(If you look really close at the third one, you'll see the red lanyard around neck and glasses under shirt, not trying to hide them, just don't like being assaulted by them)

catherine
5-13-14, 3:32pm
I say get a ReaderREST--this guy got a great deal on Shark Tank (Lori Grenier) and has sold a ton of them. (LOVE that show!)

But I personally like rosarugosa's solution, if you are both far-sighted and near-sighted. Progressive lenses are great--I love mine and I always have them on.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/hopper-344773-glasses-tank.html

lmerullo
5-13-14, 3:36pm
I used to have contact lenses for far away, and close up was no problem... a few years back I noticed the need for readers too... that kind of defeated the purpose of contacts - my absolute hate for glasses.

About a year ago I got multi-focal contact lenses - they are the best things since sliced bread! I can see all distances - close reading, mid-distance computer, THE GAUGES on the motorcycle (hi, Alan) and car, and far away.

Without contacts my close vision is still perfect and I don't need any enhancement.

My hubby operates on the "any flat surface should have a pair" theory as above. The problem with that is when we go to a restaurant and he has none - he just tells me to pick something and order for him. After all, if we were home he would be served whatever I chose to prepare anyway. That one really stumps our new friends - how can he not care?!?!

I regularly catch him with two pair of glasses on - one in front of the other - to see very fine stuff.

rodeosweetheart
5-13-14, 4:25pm
I'm in Alan's camp, and I agree, it's important to have them in the car, too, so you can read the menu. Or the fine print.

I sometimes find myself already wearing a pair and putting on another pair--not intentionally, just forget I am already wearing them. Did not know I could double magnify this way.

Lainey
5-13-14, 9:49pm
I too just buy the OTC readers and put them everywhere. Costco has a great deal for a packet of 3 for $20. They're very lightweight so they're very comfortable.

Blackdog Lin
5-14-14, 9:53pm
I went through this 6-7 or so years ago. My method was just to have a pair of the "cheaters" EVERYWHERE I might be, and to take them off when I left that place.

- a pair on my desk
- a pair beside my bed
- a pair on the side table where I watched TV
- a pair in a desk drawer at work
- a pair in my purse
- a pair in the vehicle
- a pair on the dining room table

You get the idea. I finally decided that it would be easier and not-much-more-expensive to just get proper glasses. Which I did, progressive lenses, which stay on my face most all the day. For me, it was the best decision.

jp1
5-15-14, 9:35am
I'm a combination of Alan and lmerullo. The bifocal contacts are a huge improvement for me. Several years ago my eye doc and I compromised, making the distance vision one notch less than what I needed so that it wouldn't drive my eyes crazy when I tried to read stuff. Finally it was at the point where I needed drug store readers to read anything. Now with the bifocal contacts both my distance and near vision are great! The only time I need an assist from readers are a spreadsheet at work that prints in about 2 point type, when I'm trying to read a book at home in the evening if my eyes are really tired, and if I'm trying to read a brown paper menu in a dim restaurant. I keep two pair of readers in position for the first 2 and just borrow SO's glasses if we're out at dinner.

Spartana
5-16-14, 3:25pm
I lost two pairs this week!

How do you keep from losing your reading glasses?I just started to need glasses to read fine print (so far OK with the 100 magnifying readers) and lose them all the time. So now I bought a pair for my truck, a pair on my snack-bar counter that I use to eat on (I'm not a big reader so it's mostly reading while I eat), and one fold up pair to put in my small purse. If I ever end up having to wear glasses full time, I'd get one of those chain thingies (or croakies like I use for my sunglasses) to wear them around my neck.

Spartana
5-16-14, 3:32pm
WWHRD? "What-would-Harley-riders-do?". Ha. It's undignified and uncool to lose your glasses--makes you seem helpless and not in control. .

That's why I ride a sports bike - full face helmet you can wear glasses under :-)! Actually I don't wear glasses (yet) to see when I ride - just readers for reading small print - but if I did need glasses to see when I rode I'd get those prescription sunglasses for the day and wear regular glasses at night. Or the day to night glasses that get darker or lighter depending on your environment. Since I wear a full face helmet I don't have to worry about them being blown off, but if I wore glasses without a full face helmet I'd wear goggles over them - or get prescription goggles/sunglass goggles. That's what everyone I know does. Or wear croakies (lanyard you wear around your neck that holds glasses) like I do now with my sunglasses.

Tussiemussies
5-18-14, 3:38pm
I keep all of my glasses in a little holder in the bedroom. You could also make a few places around the house where you have a container that you as always put them back in? It really works well for me,,,