PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the passing of my dad's friend

Stella
3-16-11, 10:54am
Recently a friend of my father's passed away pretty suddenly. He noticed something was wrong with his leg and went to the doctor, only to discover that he had cancer. Two weeks later he was dead.

Surprisingly, this isn't really all that sad a story. This guy was a two-star military general, a heart surgeon, a secular Franciscan, a Knight in the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem, an explorer who travelled as physician on an expedition to Antarctica in the 1960s and had a mountain named after him, a photographer, a father of four and a loving husband. He really lived. He enjoyed his time here and put it to good use.

I don't have any big point to make here other than that I really want to live a life that, when I die, makes people reflect on a life well-lived. It's a good goal for me to be reminded of occasionally.

Valley
3-16-11, 11:51am
This is a wonderful recollection of a life well lived. I too want to live a life of full participation. At the end of my life I want to "have mattered" to others along the way!

Mrs-M
3-16-11, 1:27pm
I know where you are coming from Stella. Occasionally I'll come across an exceptional obituary in the paper where the person who passed lived an outstanding and exemplary life. It never fails to make me ponder and give thought to my own life lived (thus far) and what still lies ahead.

Loosing a friend is difficult. (Give your dad a warm hug from me).

catherine
3-16-11, 1:42pm
To Mrs-M's point--I've actually ripped out obituaries of total strangers to remind myself of how I'd want to live my life. One woman had done a million things in her life, including starting an arts council, and learning Chinese and traveling to China--in her 80s!

Stella, your dad's friend sounds like he lived a full life of purpose. Thanks for sharing the inspiration.

Kat
3-17-11, 8:37am
A good reminder for us to make the most of the days we do have. I am sorry for your dad, though, and his friend's family. It is always hard to lose a loved one (especially when it is so sudden). I hope they are able to find some peace and comfort in their grief.

iris lily
3-17-11, 8:55am
That's ho I would like to go--wuickly! So that most people in the neighobhrood say "I just saw her last week and she looked fine."

Fawn
3-17-11, 9:34pm
That's ho I would like to go--wuickly! So that most people in the neighobhrood say "I just saw her last week and she looked fine."
I did see you last week, and you looked fabulous!! What! are you still here?

Stella--a life well-lived, whether it lasts for 70 years or only 13...that is the goal. You, my dear, are on your way.......

Stella
3-18-11, 9:00am
Thanks Fawn, that is such a nice compliment!

I like reading obituaries of inspiring people too. Its amazing how rich and interesting peoples lives can be.

Kat, I pray for his family and friends too. I know this was hard on them. I know for my dad it hasn't totally sunken in yet.