PDA

View Full Version : Anyone trying the 333 Project?

Joyous_5
5-23-14, 4:51pm
This is so fun: The 333 Project is basically paring down your wardrobe (including accessories/shoes) to 33 items for 3 months. I first heard about it via Joshua Becker's book/site which I love.

I've started the project (with a few variations) three weeks ago today and cannot tell you how liberating and awesome it is. I'm not a minimalist by nature--I'm really creative and get bored with "sameness" easily so I often like to pick up new pieces of clothes/accessories (all thrifted!) to spice up my wardrobe. I was worried I would be bored and lost without anything to wear within a week. But I'm now heading into week 4 and haven't had a SINGLE duplicate outfit in all that time. :)

I should note that I work at home and even though I dress for work (casual/professional--no working in PJs for me!) the challenge might be a little more difficult if you work outside the home full-time. Still, it's a lot of fun and totally eye-opening. I don't think I'm even going to delve into the bags I have tucked away before donating the rest of my closet.

Has anyone else tried it? What did you think?

catherine
5-23-14, 5:10pm
This is so fun: The 333 Project is basically paring down your wardrobe (including accessories/shoes) to 33 items for 3 months. I first heard about it via Joshua Becker's book/site which I love.

I've started the project (with a few variations) three weeks ago today and cannot tell you how liberating and awesome it is. I'm not a minimalist by nature--I'm really creative and get bored with "sameness" easily so I often like to pick up new pieces of clothes/accessories (all thrifted!) to spice up my wardrobe. I was worried I would be bored and lost without anything to wear within a week. But I'm now heading into week 4 and haven't had a SINGLE duplicate outfit in all that time. :)

Maybe this is a generational thing, but when I started working at NBC in NYC, the rule (there, as elsewhere) was you can't duplicate the same outfit in one week.

For me, now, as you said it's different when you work from home, but I EASILY fit within the 33 items. My DD who was here last weekend says she spends $200 a month on clothes. I haven't spent $200 on clothes all year, I have not added one thing to my wardrobe since January, and I do travel on business roughly 60 days of the year, where I have to look presentable.

Joyous, I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer--I'm really asking if this truly is generational. So for those of you over, say, 50 years old, do you wear more than 33 items in 3 months? I really don't. And I think I look fine when I have to. At home, I recycle my clothes every 5 days.

My 33 items are:

4 pr yoga pants
4 shirts
3 sweaters
2 nice skirts
2 nice pants
2 "nicer" sweaters
2 crew neck shirts
2 scarves
4 pairs of shoes
1 belt
2 blazers
1 collared shirt
1 pair of khaki pants
1 dress

=31 items

shadowmoss
5-24-14, 8:31am
I'm soon to be 60 (I keep saying that hoping I'll be able to get through it in December...) and I have closets and closets of clothes. I'm going through them now, sorting out what doesn't work anymore, and what doesn't really fit anymore. I use the method of putting the clean cothes on the ends (tops on one side, pants on the other) and pulling from the middle when I get dressed. If something sits in the middle for awhile, I ponder why I don't want to wear it. I have an entire other closet of 'other' clothes. Doesn't take a lot to make it 'other', off season, too dressy for work, etc. So, if your premise is that us 'mature' women don't have a lot of clothes, sorry... But, remember, I've had at least 80 pr of hanging pants (not jeans or other causal folded ones) since at least 3 versions of this board ago when it was first mentioned and I'm the official 'not- Fawn' (started to type 'anti-Fawn', as in anti-matter to matter, but I'm not anti her personally at all, in fact I miss her voice and her 100 thing count here).

reader99
5-24-14, 9:20am
Ignoring undies, I only OWN 31 garments, some of which I might wear less than once a year. I'll be 60 next year. I certainly had more than that when I was younger, and cared more about clothes then than I do now.

Lainey
5-24-14, 11:04am
I agree that it can make a big difference if you work outside the home in a business setting. So for now I don't see doing this, but after retirement in the next 18 mos or so I'm definitely paring down. Good reminder.

ApatheticNoMore
5-24-14, 1:45pm
I wonder if I even own 33 pieces of clothing ... Maybe I wish I did :), but I don't tend to own that much.

Float On
5-24-14, 1:46pm
I'm toning up and losing some weight that I'd gained since the broken ankle and I've been making a very dedicated effort with the closet. I'm trying to wear everything I own at least once and make a decision "keep" or "donate". I don't think I'll ever get as low as 33 items but I want it to only be things I really enjoy. I still need workout, hiking, kayaking, swimming, work, church, casual items.

Float On
5-24-14, 1:48pm
Heck....I don't even want to decrease my shoes to 33. I'm not going to count shoes.

pinkytoe
5-24-14, 3:26pm
Clothes are my nemesis; they are like life these days - too many choices. Trying to keep current keeps my head spinning. It's a conspiracy I suppose to keep us shopping. For someone like dd, it would be a nice challenge. She probably has at least 33 of every category.

awakenedsoul
5-24-14, 4:12pm
I don't know how many clothing items I have. I have one dresser full and one very (1940's cottage) small closet. I rarely buy clothes anymore. I knit my sweaters, tops, gloves, socks, and scarves. I buy pants and dresses at the Salvation Army. They have some really nice stuff. I need to go through everything again and donate what I'm not wearing. I'm happy with the amount of clothing that I have.

happystuff
5-26-14, 10:26am
I'm mid 50's and, while I work outside the home, it is in a place where I definitely DON'T dress up!!! In fact "jeans" would be fancy! lol. That said, I have only recently started buying a couple new shirts ($4 or less apiece). I normally wear t-shirts, but figured with a newer desk job in a more visible location, I should at least wear shirts without writing on them.

I really do not enjoy clothes shopping - never have. I do have more clothes than I actually wear, but that is because - "I'll need them when I loose this extra weight!"... (no comments necessary - roflol)

Would like to try this 333 someday.

mermaid
5-26-14, 11:21am
Joyous, it sounds very interesting. I think it is great that you could get different outfits for 3 entire weeks!

For work (in an office, professional casual), I like to get similar outfits that work for me and buy several of them. I like Land's End sales -- not necessarily inexpensive but I can return to nearby Sears, they last, and I stick with washable only.

I do have way to many clothes though and have been "thinking about" cutting back so this could be a fun impetus!

mermaid
5-26-14, 11:26am
Oh, also I think part of the difference in how many different outfits/clothes someone wants can be based on things other than age. For example, wanting to project status. I'm 50, and have a sibling who is 2 years older than me. She spent $100-$200 a WEEKEND on clothes back in the 80s, whereas I would spend that in 6 months. We were both young marrieds, but had completely different viewpoints on what to do with money.

Florence
5-26-14, 2:28pm
I've got to go count. BRB

OK, I'm back. Here's the count:

LLBean Baysider slacks - 6 (2 of which are cords)
Good teeshirts - 7
Mock turtlenecks & longsleeved pullovers - 8
Medium weight pullover sweaters - 2
3 piece pant/top/jacket combinations - 6
Walking shorts -3
Ratty tees for exercise/gardening/anything involving dirt and/or sweat -8 (several of these used to be good tees)

So I total out at 52 not counting undies or shoes and my one coat.
I could get rid of 2 of the 3 piece combos and 3 or 4 of the ratty tees but I'm OK with keeping them too.

pony mom
5-26-14, 11:09pm
I considered doing this, but the 3 month time sort of ran into another season, where I would need different clothes. This winter I did count my clothes (not including undergarments) and came in just under 30. Dressing like Muffy Aldrich with my thrift store finds made dressing fun, mixing and matching sweaters and turtlenecks (wore lots of layers THIS winter!), coming up with different combinations. Summer will be similar, with shorts/capris and polos/solid T-shirts.

In my closet when I first switch my seasonal clothes, I turn the hanger hooks the wrong way until I wear that item. In drawers, I put the clean worn clothes at the bottom. This way I know exactly what I wore and did not wear. Lately, I really like everything I own and deciding that day's outfit isn't a chore.

Teacher Terry
5-28-14, 8:18pm
When I was younger I loved clothes but now not so much-will be 60 soon. When I retired and decided to work from home I got rid of tons of clothes. My walk in closet is half empty now on my side.

mschrisgo2
6-4-14, 3:31pm
This was interesting. After reading here, I made a quick list of what I think I'm wearing now as it's early summer and for the work I'm doing now, and the rest of my clothes are put away. I listed 27 items of clothing (I'm not counting shoes). Then I actually went into my bedroom and laundry basket to check and found a few things I'm wearing but hadn't remembered to list, but I still only have 36. I'm happy with that. For me the bigger challenge will come in the late fall/winter. I'll come back to this and check again then.