PDA

View Full Version : Preparedness during hot weather

Tradd
5-26-14, 2:47pm
I thought it might be good to have a separate thread for hot weather preparedness.

Keeping cool would be my first priority, especially while trying to sleep. There are inexpensive battery-powered fans that work pretty well. I have two of these fans. About $6 at Walmart/Home Depot. I've run it on one set of batteries in the office for an entire work week before the batteries started losing juice.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/O2-Cool-5-Portable-Battery-Operated-Desk-Fan/15992435

Tussiemussies
5-26-14, 3:19pm
Keeping the Windows and blinds closed really helps. We get good results with ceiling fans, which this house is equipped with and even if you do use the air conditioner they also keep the temp Dow 3-4 degrees. Some of the light domes were outdated and I saw a page I'm how to make solar garden lights and a tea light table centerpiece from them, which I am going to try. If anyone wants more information,I will search for the pages.

ApatheticNoMore
5-26-14, 4:30pm
Keeping the Windows and blinds closed really helps.

does it? I think it does in many houses, but this apartment the indoor temperature especially in the afternoon CONSISTENTLY gets hotter than the outdoor temperature (and I suspect that's often the case with poor insulation - which is the norm - and roofs that attract heat, some natural indoor moisture, indoor water heater etc. etc.). So keeping them closed is to swelter all the more in a greenhouse (and I don't just mean the planet :) ). Though of course I'd keep them closed IF I was running the A/C (which I suppose I wouldn't be in an emergency) to keep the cool in, or if the windows were being hit by DIRECT light. I think what works best for my place would be to keep windows closed in the morning, open them in the afternoon and night when outdoor air temps are actually cooler than indoor (ok cooler might be 100 degrees - it's only relatively cooler - that's why I run the A/C when it is 100 degrees :) cause it will be 100 outside, 105 insider - mercy!)

Good thread, we've had some real hot days (but no emergencies).

RosieTR
5-26-14, 6:33pm
I think closing window coverings works if the sun would otherwise be coming in. If it's indirect then it probably makes no difference. This is why older houses esp in hot areas often had huge eaves.

Lainey
5-26-14, 10:01pm
Another thing is to keep a sealed gallon of water in your car. It's not unheard of for there to be a backup of some kind on the freeway where you can be stuck for 1 hr +. If you don't have any water on hand it can become pretty miserable.

awakenedsoul
5-27-14, 12:00am
The black out blinds I have in my bedroom really help to keep it cool during the day. At night, I open the windows and put on the ceiling fans. It cools everything down nicely. I keep plenty of water, fruit, and juices in the house. I also take ice water baths when it's in the triple digits. I let my trees get really big. I have an old pine, a poplar, and a fruitless mulberry. They keep the porch shaded and comfortable.

bae
5-27-14, 12:39am
From my last few years of responding to medical calls, I'd recommend keeping track of your hydration during hot weather. So many 911 calls I've been to have been simple dehydration issues. Drink a lot, then drink some more. Your output should be clear.

Tussiemussies
5-27-14, 7:26pm
The blinds we have in our house are double sided and from the side look like Bernice cones but straight down in a line. They were expensive, but insulate very well...

Prince Kong
5-28-14, 7:23am
handy article on this here;

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Summerhealth/Pages/Heatwave.aspx

It says - 'Drink cold drinks regularly, such as water and fruit juice. Avoid tea, coffee and alcohol.'

I always thought tea was supposed to be a good thing to drink when it was hot? A drink that warms you up when your cold, and cools you down when your hot .... maybe I was wrong :|(

Lainey
5-28-14, 8:31pm
I wonder about that too, Prince Kong. Isn't hot tea what they drink in the Middle east?

Prince Kong
6-2-14, 5:46am
Exactly ... and India of course. maybe it just gives the sensation of cooling down, but doesn't actually help

bae
6-2-14, 9:42am
Caffeine is a diuretic, so that is likely the reason they are advising against consumption in hot weather.