PDA

View Full Version : Car stolen

Gardenarian
6-24-14, 10:46pm
Got back from UK a couple of days ago and still feeling very jet lagged, but up to going out to the cabin. I loaded up the car last night and when I got up early this morning to do a little watering my car was gone.

I feel much more upset than I would have expected, I have been crying off and on all day. I guess there's a chance the police will find it but I'm not getting that vibe.

Along with the car they got a bunch of my favorite old clothes, our nice dog crate, and a bag of library books/CDs/DVDs.

So angry, so sad. Feeling so materialistic for caring about an object so much, but I love that car and hate the scumbag that stole it.

>:( :(

awakenedsoul
6-24-14, 11:23pm
Oh Gardenarian, I'm so sorry to hear that. I would be upset, too. I'm just glad they didn't get your dog! I'm hoping there will be Divine Justice. Also hope you had a nice trip to the UK.

iris lilies
6-24-14, 11:56pm
My car was stolen from in front of my house. I distinctly remember which dog I had at the time because I was focused on getting him out of the car and I didn't put on The Club. I wasn't sad, I was annoyed. I was pizzed. It was the weekend where I was running the lily society bulb sale and I had to have a car for that activity so I rented one from Enterprise.

Ours was a typical story: ghetto youth stole car for joy riding. DH did end up being, as usual, the Hero. He drove around our quadrant looking for our car. Each time we went somewhere he would take a different path, meandering through streets that were not main streets and I'll be damned! He spotted our car sitting on a side street in a nearby neighborhood. When we found it the steering column was broken. We had to call the cops to report it found so that when we drove it we wouldn't be caught with a "stolen" car. So the cops sent someone to "help" us get it started but the girl techie they sent was useless, so once again DH acted as Hero because he got it started without her help. He is truly McGiver.

As a reminder to whoever this happens to: be sure to call your insurance company even if you have only liability coverage. They need to know that the automobile is in the hands of criminals.

Float On
6-25-14, 1:55am
So sorry.

iris lilies
6-25-14, 2:47am
I hope you will tell us about your trip to the UK in another thread.

Bummer about your car.

sweetana3
6-25-14, 5:40am
Oh, I so understand. Ours was stolen once from our garage parking area at 2pm on a Sunday afternoon. Just as Iris Lilies said, it was a joy rider and was found within 24 yours about 1 mile away. Husband was happy it was stolen because he wanted a new car but I loved that car and wanted to see how many miles I could get from it. Found with a liquor bottle by the seat and out of gas.

It is just such a violation to have a criminal steal anything.

catherine
6-25-14, 7:35am
OMG, I'm so sorry! I don't blame you for being upset at all--bad enough the car was taken, but with so much of your stuff in it! I understand the anger--the act is such an invasion of privacy and hostility. I remember getting my pocketbook stolen with cash and keys and everything else, and the thing that made me the most angry at the time was, "I can barely make ends meet, and what makes this thief think I can afford to lose this stuff!! Go steal from someone who can afford it!" Not entirely rational, but that's what made me mad at the time.

I really hope it turns up, and if it doesn't, I hope you are able to let it go in due time and recover from the financial loss.

razz
6-25-14, 7:56am
That is so frustrating when you are on top of your game but when you are jetlagged, it is so much worse. Sorry to hear this and hope that you get things back. Those kinds of personal things are not what joyriders are interested in so you well may find them.

CathyA
6-25-14, 8:03am
So sorry, Gardenarian! Hopefully you'll get it back soon. Keep after the police about it.
((((hugs))))

Jilly
6-25-14, 8:50am
I would be more upset about the library items, as they would not be covered by my insurance. I have never lost a car to thieves, but when I had my sweet, wee yellow Volkswagen Bug, I came out one morning to go to work and someone had stole the two front bucket seats. What does ghetto youth mean?

Sad Eyed Lady
6-25-14, 9:45am
I am so sorry this happened to you. I think anytime something is taken from us it makes us feel upset, violated and angry. The idea that something you have, whether worked for or gifted to you, and then someone comes along and feel that they have the right to just take it! On the better side, at least you and your dog are okay, not hurt in the process.

iris lilies
6-25-14, 9:55am
I would be more upset about the library items, as they would not be covered by my insurance. I have never lost a car to thieves, but when I had my sweet, wee yellow Volkswagen Bug, I came out one morning to go to work and someone had stole the two front bucket seats. What does ghetto youth mean?

kids from "an impoverished, neglected, or otherwise disadvantaged residential area of a city, usually troubled by a disproportionately large amount of crime" (thanks to the Urban Dictionary)

gimmethesimplelife
6-25-14, 10:49am
Ghetto youth or not, there's no excuse for stealing someone's car. I am sorry this happened to you - must be a horrible feeling and a horrible thing to deal with. I can remember years back - I think it was in the late 90's - when the Phoenix area was one of the worst places in the country for auto theft, and I knew some people that had their cars stolen. Horrible. Just horrible. Makes me glad to not have a car but I realize that not everyone can pull this off. My only advice is to hang in there and not take this too personally if you can. Rob

Gardenarian
6-25-14, 11:04am
Thanks for the sympathy, it really makes it a little easier.
I have been out looking for my car myself. I live in a small town next to the big city, and I'm sure it's far and away by now...but I can't stop looking.
Insurance is paying for a rental, which is helpful.
I actually slept for 7 hours last night and am feeling much more sane today - not waking up at 2:30 wondering what hotel I'm in! Our trip was wonderful and enlightening; I'll write about that in another thread.

Thank you friends, for being here.

rodeosweetheart
6-25-14, 11:13am
Gardenarian, I am so sorry that happened to you. Please be careful about looking for the car, okay? You are way more valuable than any car. And I bet if you explain to the library they will take off the fines, take the police report when you talk to them?

thinkgreen
6-25-14, 1:10pm
I am so sorry this happened to you. The shock and violation plus the loss of some of your well loved items. I am glad you and your dog are OK.

This happens a lot in our neighborhood also. Stolen cars and stolen items from cars. It seems that people nowadays can get a device that will unlock cars as if they had the key fob for it.

jp1
6-28-14, 10:45pm

Actually, if you have off premises theft on your homeowners policy you can be covered for the stuff in the car as long as it's not stuff that typically resides in the car. Ie, no jumper cables. No cd's if you have a CD player in the car, etc. Library books are probably not covered period.

If your homeowners and auto policy are with the same carrier (assuming you have comprehensive on the car) they might even only charge one deductible for both claims. Certainly worth asking.

Gardenarian
6-29-14, 12:18pm
Yes, I am covered for most of the stuff in the car. Hard to replace your favorite comfy sweats, the swim suit that fits just right, my old hiking boots. Oh well.

There's been no news, and it is still bothering me quite a bit. I really babied that car, and hoped I would never have to buy another. I had it for 10 years with no problems, and the insurance will probably give me $5000 or something - not nearly enough to replace my trustworthy little car. I know it's just a thing...but boy, I sure miss it.

Lainey
6-29-14, 4:11pm
Gardenarian,
hope things work out, especially with the insurers, and that you can at least get another decent vehicle. Thieves, bah! If I was a judge I think that's one group I'd like to see tougher punishment for -they used to hang horse thieves out here in the SW !

CathyA
6-29-14, 4:39pm
Gardenarian......have you had any big things replaced on your car recently? (tires, big repairs)
I ask because an uninsured driver went through a red light and T-boned my DD's car a few years ago, and totaled it, and the insurance company paid for the new tires she had gotten recently and some other repair (I forget what it was. So those things were added on to what they were going to give for the car. We were very happy with the amount.
But you're right........if it's an older car, you just can't get anywhere near what it would cost to replace.

ApatheticNoMore
6-29-14, 7:26pm
I went through a period where stuff kept getting stolen from my car. 3 radios were stolen, then a window was cracked and the cash in my wallet stolen that I'd left on the passenger seat (I know I was a dumb-dumb to forget the wallet there - at least they left the wallet - only took the cash). The radios were probably stolen because I had ghetto fabulous high end radios for awhile as I kept getting advice to buy them after the radio that came with the vehicle died. But I really didn't understand why radios kept disappearing. Then everyone in my family had a car stolen at one time. I started to get paranoid and believed cars were things that could just up and vanish at any minute. Probably why I still have "theft" on the car although with over 100k miles and 10 years it probably doesn't make sense. And The Club etc..