PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make a healthy no-knead bread that could be used for sandwiches?

frugal-one
3-17-11, 10:54pm
My new goal is to make bread. Thought I'd ask you guys first if there was an easy recipe to start. Thanks!:help:

redfox
3-17-11, 11:48pm
Since I love bread making, and a big part of the fun for me is the kneading, I feel compelled to ask... why a no-knead bread? I think that would actually be biscuits.

So, Tassajara Bread book is the answer for a great recipe. It explains every step, and is super clear, not to mention yummy. Kneading needed, however.

herbgeek
3-18-11, 6:23am
No knead breads are much easier for lazy people like me. Not only that, but when I'm feeling ambitious I can start the dough and put it in the frig to finish later when my ambition runs out. The recipes come out like regular artisan bread, not biscuits. I actually DO knead my biscuits. :)

What's your definition of "healthy"? Does that mean 100% whole wheat? Something else? I've made no knead breads with up to 50% whole wheat flour- more than that and they come out like hockey pucks.

frugal-one
3-18-11, 6:38am
Healthy to me is not just 100% all purpose flour. Herbgeek would you be so kind as to share your no knead recipes (or where to locate them)?

I would like no knead to start for the reasons mentioned above but also there are times when my arthritis is more problematic.

Merski
3-18-11, 8:29am
our favorite is Jim Lahey's "My bread"

Rosemary
3-18-11, 8:33am
I've made a no-knead bread with whole rye berries, whole wheat flour, and rolled oats that we use for sandwiches. I modified the Vollkornbrot recipe in the "Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day" book.

herbgeek
3-18-11, 12:26pm
Mine's more a process than a recipe, but I'll try. If I am unclear, feel free to ask.

For a loaf of bread, I will throw 2 cups of all purpose flour in a bowl. I only use King Arthur flour as the protein content is consistent, and I always get a good loaf. You may get a good loaf with generic flour, but that's a crapshoot. I will add about 1 teaspoon of kosher salt (or sea salt) and 2 teaspoons of yeast (I buy in bulk, and take it right out of the freezer). I give that a quick stir. Then I'll fill up a measuring cup with 1 cup of water- depending on the flour and the humidity, you may not need all of it, or you may need a couple of tablespoons more. I slowly pour in about 2/3 of it, stir everything around. Then I dribble the rest on the dry spots in the bow. It should all come together. When I make no knead dough, its a bit "wetter" than other doughs, so if you stick your finger in to it, it will feel sticky and the dough may stick to your finger.

I'll then let this sit on the counter a couple of hours, so the yeast has a chance to get started, and then into the frig. Minimum time is overnight, but I've kept it in there up to a week.

When its baking time, I take out a piece of parchment paper. This is not necessary if you are using cornmeal on a pizza stone, but I got tired of the cornmeal getting everywhere. I take the dough out of the frig, flour my hands, and do this process called cloaking (The Artisan bread in 5 minutes a day describes this well). Its basically forming the dough into a round ball by smoothing opposing ends under. You do this 4 or 5 times around the ball. I then let it sit on the parchment and rise- usually an hour or two depending on the temperature.

Then, I heat the oven to 450- and I use a baking stone. About 5 minutes before I'm going to put the bread in the oven, I put an empty broiler pan on the shelf underneath and let it heat up. Meanwhile I boil water in the kettle, and I put some shallow cuts in the top of the bread in a decorative pattern. I put the bread still on its parchment on the baking stone, and pour water into the the broiler and close the oven. Set a timer for 25 minutes, and you have a wonderful loaf of bread.

Good books that explain the process are : No Need to Knead and Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day. Skip the book "Kneadlessly Simple", I found it extraordinary complex.

treehugger
3-18-11, 12:43pm
I definitely second the recommendations to check out Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day (and follow-up Healthy Bread...Day) from your library. Also check out their blog: http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/

Kara

frugal-one
3-18-11, 1:15pm
Thanks Herbgeek! Will also check out the other books!