PDA

View Full Version : Parsnips

puglogic
3-18-11, 7:48pm
Does anyone grow/eat these? I've tried them in a couple of recipes lately and I have to say I can't get into the taste. Maybe I haven't been cooking them properly or......maybe they taste really strong when they get old?

Brian
3-18-11, 8:08pm
I came to love parsnips in adult life... def not when a child.
Hmmm roasted parsnips, parsnips with carrots, honey glazed, shredded in coleslaw.... parsnip chips or fries. Touch of frost to sweeten and I like them raw in sticks.
How big are your parsnips and where did you get them?

Madsen
3-18-11, 9:14pm
I use them in my crock pot and haven't noticed any strong taste. But I kinda mix and match parsnips, rutabagas, turnips, sweet potatoes, etc. so I'm not really picky about anything. Meat + veggies [+ spices sometimes] = cook all day and come home to hot dinner.
^^^bachelor cooking can you tell? ;)

goldensmom
3-18-11, 9:25pm
I hated parsnips as a child but love them as an adult. Harvest after a frost or overwinter and harvest in the spring. Slice and fry in butter or olive oil. I also slice, parboil and freeze parsnips. Some varieties can get big and 'rootie' tasting.

puglogic
3-19-11, 2:40am
I think I must've gotten some old ones -- at the local grocery store. They were a bit on the skinny side, and not super crisp any more. Tasted rather like the core of a carrot, only really strong. I'll give them another try with nice fresh ones this coming fall! Thanks for the vote of confidence on parsnips :)

Merski
3-20-11, 9:14am
My best recipe for parsnips is cook till tender in milk, remove parsnips from pan and add butter and flour (proportionate to milk as to make it into a white sauce) cook until thickened and add S & P and grated nutmeg. This is a very tasty and rather elegant way to serve them. I can't wait to dig up our parsnips in a little while. The ground is still frozen, I think!

puglogic
3-20-11, 2:13pm
Oh, cool --- they overwinter!?!? I love that kind of plant. Wonderful-sounding recipe, merski, thanks!

Tiam
3-20-11, 10:30pm
I'm with the hated it as a child love it as an adult crowd. Parsnips are like lamb. They have very upfront flavor. Either you like it or you don't.