PDA

View Full Version : Digital Organizing

Float On
7-26-14, 1:44pm
I know we had a thread about this back in January I think (probably every year).....but I'm finally getting around to it due to our older desktop being in it's last days.

I decided to do all the glass related photos first and got them moved to a memory vault and I'm in the process of going through all the personal ones and being ruthless about deleting duplicates and paring down. I'm about 1/3 the way done with getting those onto a memory vault too.
Step two will be to do the same with all the photos on the laptop.
Step three will be to download them onto a new computer and back up on-line somewhere (for some reason I can't get them to work on the desktop or laptop we currently have).
Step four will be printing in book form.
Step five will be to put the memory vaults in the safe deposit box.
Step six will be to keep up with that every year!

iris lilies
7-26-14, 1:58pm
OP you are a goddess off efficiency! keep us updated.

Float On
7-26-14, 3:32pm
Well, I just ran out of space on the memory vault for the personal photos. Need to go pick up another one.

Things I wish I'd done from the beginning of digital photos:
always leave the date on the folder and add as many key words as possible
never rename a folder with short description - I have a lot of folders where I'm trying to figure out what year or how old the boys were or what state we were visiting.
Never put off editing/deleting photos when uploading to the computer - in some ways this makes me miss the old 35mm days where I'd develop the photos and then toss the ones I didn't like right into the trash can. For some reason the digital saving age has brought around a fear to most of us to not delete any photos (even if we snap 35 photos of the same flower).

Dhiana
7-26-14, 5:38pm
Yes! I tried and completely failed earlier this year with my Digital Decluttering.
It takes a lot of time to get caught up and one needs to just keep at it.

I get behind way too easily and then just give up :(
Keep checking in with your progress, Float On,
and any tips you may have for those of us who are overwhelmed by their own digital pile of clutter :)