PDA

View Full Version : My successful Christmas

razz
1-1-11, 8:33pm
It began about 5 years ago when both our kids were into large financial commitments and needed every penny. DH and I need nothing and we had no idea what sizes family members were or what was needed plus the travel distance in winter became an issue as well. I absolutely detest simply exchanging gift cards!!!!!

I suggested that we skip present exchange except for the little one. They agreed and it has taken enormous pressure off everyone.

It was a challenge at first as I had been trying to buy gifts throughout the year previously and now I didn't have a reason no matter how good a deal I found.;)

I got a very small potted 5' artificial tree with its own lights that will hold all my favourite Christmas decorations and fit into a corner of the living room.

Five years later, everyone is pleased with this arrangement. We enjoy a good visit with a really nice meal but we also cut out excess food, sweets and treats this year. We know if extra food and sweets are put out, we just keep nibbling and then feel awfully stuffed and uncomfortable afterwards so we avoided the problem.

DH didn't feel quite as depressed and 'Bah, humbug" as in other years with the resulting lower stress so I enjoyed things more as well.

DD1 did make up a small decorative bag of goodies - some homemade cookies and homemade bath salts for me and something similar for DH which was just right. I gave her some special glass cleaning cloths that I had stitched up and a large bag of locally grown peanuts for her DH.

It seems that the stress of Christmas can be managed or reduced by choosing the desirable expectations and then actually doing it.

Anyone else do something similar this year?

Mighty Frugal
1-1-11, 8:36pm
Not exactly this year but we've been giving gifts to children only for many years. What we did as well is I attend two women only Christmas parties and we used to do a gift swap but decided last year to stop this. It just added to the already busy season and really, what did we really need/want. Now we spend the time talking and eating!

happystuff
1-3-11, 7:01am
We had a much simpler Christmas this year simply because of "time" and "money" - little of each! But we had a good holiday and I'm happy with the end results. Not wanting such a repeat next year, I think I am REALLY going to start earlier for 2011! ;)

iris lily
1-3-11, 8:28am
razz, that sounds very nice, and it's great that you've been doing it successfully for 5 years.

I wish many here could take the same steps since each November/December we get posts from people who are overhwelmed, unhappy, broke, and not experiencing the joy of the season.

Everyone should start now--today--to make changes to next year's celebration, if this year's excess make syou unhappy.

redfox
1-3-11, 11:27am
Our adult kids are now acclimated to the simple gift exchange, and spending our time together having fun instead. Yay. The gifts we give are of the practical variety - DSS just moved out and needed cooking gear, so he got spatulas... very cool black ones, perfect for an 18 year old guy. DSD is in college, so she got tools she needs for her drafting class and tech theatre major, and both got a gift card to the locally owned bookstore. It was simple & sweet, and we had saved the $$ ahead of time & had a budget, so zero debt, just fun. Then we had a nice lunch out, a museum visit, and a jaunt to the bookstore followed by dinner out, all collectively chosen. It was the perfect family holiday!

At my parents house, all of us got new sheepskin slippers, which we are now wearing, and a donation in our family's name to the local food-bank. We brought dinner, and shared a simple meal with them. As a family, we gave my folks an Amnesty International calendar & a donation to Amnesty in their name. I love that my parents understand that none of us needs anything material - though the new slippers did replace some rather tatty ones - and are fine with simplicity.

My mantra has been simplicity, and everyone finally relaxed around that some years ago. It does take time to shift from the craziness to simplicity, but it can happen!

Wildflower
1-13-11, 5:11pm
I did much less for Christmas this year than years past. Next year I plan to do only the things I enjoy. Cutting down on most of the decorating - will put up the Christmas tree (only because we all enjoy it so much), a wreath on the front door, and call it good. Less cooking, a simpler Christmas day meal, exchange gifts only with my kids and grandkids, skip sending Christmas cards and excessive baking. I will enjoy the music and lights of the season which doesn't involve any effort on my part. :) I am actually starting to feel good about the thought of the upcoming Christmas....

redfox
1-13-11, 9:00pm
http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=173&d=1294970362