PDA

View Full Version : Seattle area and BC - what are must sees?

pinkytoe
8-18-14, 2:46pm
I know we have quite a few posters who live in the PNW so thought I would ask about recommendations for what to see OR NOT in the area. We finally decided to spend our birthday trip in that region and also visit British Columbia while we are all the way up there. Late September. We have been to all the usual tourist places in Seattle (I think) but everything else is new. Thinking about the Cascades train to BC or would the ferry be better? Any inside tips are appreciated - there is so much on the internet that it's hard to go through it all. Just want to relax, see the sights, eat lots of seafood and hopefully not spend a fortune.

tetrimbath
8-18-14, 5:34pm
Books, books, have been written about what to do here. I'll leave the urban sites to the urbanites.

The ferries are one of the easiest ways to see the area, particularly if go up through the San Juans (via Anacortes in the US), or the far greater selection in Canada (via either Tawwassenn ()sp?) or Vancouver). If you take the ferry, try to skip the car. Bicycles rule! And most (but not all) of the destinations have something near the terminals.

Late September is also a good time hit the high country before the snow falls much (I've skied 12 months out of the year.) Best easy bets are Mt. Rainier in the US (Paradise or Sunrise) or cheat by taking the lift to the top of Blackcomb or Whistler in BC (site of the Winter Olympics a while back.)

There's more but without knowing more about you, I'll stop there.

Enjoy!