PDA

View Full Version : Intro/Greetings

markarsenal
8-21-14, 11:28am
Hello, I've lurked here forever but only yesterday decided to sign up so I could start posting.

I have been drawn to simple living several times in my adult life. Each time it seems to be at a time of great insecurity, where I start assessing what I have and how much it costs to maintain and whether I really want to put that energy into it all.

Things are that way again right now in earnest. I've spent 12 years feeling like my job was not very secure, only to always be spared through repeated rounds of layoffs. However, the cards are that this can't last forever (eventually the "last" layoff will happen).

I have my life down to some fairly bare essentials, though. And knowing that without my day work I could bring it to even more bare essentials is comforting.

My dilemma is that I'm still a perpetual worrier and I spend my time working and focused on money rather than networking and focused on people. This is great on one hand because I'm a self-sufficient person who has never had to ask for help, but not handy when that time comes that I might have to ask for help and realize I don't have anyone around to ask!

Anyway, we'll see if this place can give me some insight on making the leap toward a more community-minded person on top of my already well-rounded financial minimalism. Who knows, it might bring work ideas that have long-lasting potential rather than an ever-threatening dead-end!

iris lilies
8-21-14, 12:08pm
Welcome markarsenal! Wow, we have been getting several new members to this website this month! I know you said that you've been lurking, but now you are really on board since registering.

I'm not sure what you envision when you talk about asking for help and not having anyone around.

markarsenal
8-21-14, 12:25pm
Well, specifically I have always wanted to be independent and self-sufficient; it means I focus on doing things by myself and rarely forge social connections.

Float On
8-21-14, 12:26pm
Welcome! I come from a long line of worriers on my mother's side. I've worked hard at "contentment" and "being thankful for what I have today".....it helps me think less about the "tomorrows".

awakenedsoul
8-21-14, 12:34pm
Hi markarsenal,

Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear you decided to start posting. I know what you mean about the costs to maintain what you have. I felt that way about my car and have gone car free. It sounded really difficult, but it's working out. It's saving me a ton of money, too!

Maybe you can shift from worrying to taking positive action. (It sounds like you're doing that already, by paring down your expenses.) There are lot of ideas on this forum. It's fun to hear what other people are doing, and how they are spending their time.

I look forward to reading your posts!

SteveinMN
8-21-14, 10:11pm
Welcome! I hope we on this site can help provide answers to some of your questions.

Aroha
8-22-14, 3:59am
Hi mark :)

Tussiemussies
8-22-14, 10:51am
Hi Mark!

Welcome to the Simple Living boards. Personally I think that coming on the boards to join in is a great start off to being more social! You can really chat about SL things that mean a lot to you and ask for help here. I wish you all the best in your journey to branch out, create a life where you win' t have to worry, and really kick-start your social life. You may even find an active simple living group near you....chris

Selah
8-22-14, 11:22am
Welcome, markarsenal!

Gardenarian
8-23-14, 2:49pm
Hi there :)