PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Ashland OR?

Gardenarian
8-27-14, 11:38pm
We're headed up to Ashland for the long weekend. Dh thinks we might want to move there, but this is our very first visit. It certainly looks wonderful. Last minute trip - hoping to get some rush tickets to Shakespeare.

Any advice/thoughts?

We're going to scout out some houses, too.

awakenedsoul
8-28-14, 11:23am
Oh...sounds great! I've been wanting to visit Oregon. Lots of rain, and very green. Let us know how it goes. It's fun to look at the homes on line.

I almost did the same thing a few years ago.

JaneV2.0
8-28-14, 11:25am
I've never been there, but it's a tiny liberal-ish town in the middle of a big conservative nowhere. FWIW.

iris lilies
8-28-14, 9:18pm
I stopped by Realtor.com today to poke around Ashland offerings. Mama Mia, there is nary I house I could live in for under $300,000. A few once-cute 1960's ranches were hideously updated with generic granite counterops and Lowe's cabinets. The first ranchette I found that had authentic 1960's cabinets (white ones! My fav!) was pushing $300,000. Ugh.

While I like so many things about the Willamette Valley, the lack of soul in the architecture there is a problem for me. And then there is the Portlandia ethos, although some of that can be attractive. Careful, earnest young people are a blessing in many ways even if their politics are not mine.

JaneV2.0
8-28-14, 9:32pm
There's very little architecture in the PNW that's affordable, that's for sure. Unless you stumble upon a little (the operative word) fixer cottage or something. When browsing real estate ads, I generally find maybe five out of a hundred acceptable--and that's without any expectations of design or style, let alone architecture.

JaneV2.0
8-28-14, 9:43pm
Oh, but there are a few affordable Victorians in Albany...(right in the heart of the valley):
http://www.johnlscott.com/Home/676742/WVY/319-7th-Av-Albany-OR-97321/

Packy
8-28-14, 9:46pm
Iris, I know of a littlebitty, insignificant place waaaaay up north in the middle o' nowhere, where the living is affordable, and the town is VERY tidy. That(tidying up) is all they have to occupy their time, beside eating. You might make a deal with the present owners there to acquire the so-called Butterworth House--the town's oldest existing residence, or the home across from the Carnegie lirrarry that belonged to Pro Rassler Frank Gotch. Another possibility are the 19th century ramblers built by various members of the White Family. I believe there are 5, around there. Or, you could live up on the Hill, in the old Reasoner Birthplace. Not only that, the political environment might suit you; the basic prevailing ideology is--What is Good For Me, Is Good! They really don't care whether you are Dem or Rep. Hope that helps you some. If you do move there, I can use you as a reference for the book I am working on about the town.

awakenedsoul
8-28-14, 10:39pm
Gardenarian, As I remember, you've done very well in CA real estate. The Bay Area is a prime location. So, I would think that you can afford whatever you want in Oregon. The home values here in LA have gone back up...my strategy has been to buy and hold.

Reyes
8-28-14, 10:59pm
We are about 3 hours north of Ashland in Eugene. Ashland is a lovely town, fun to walk around it, good weather. Very cute. If you make it up I5 it would be fun to meet for tea. We found a great 1926 home about ten years ago and have spent the last ten years working on it:-)

Packy
8-29-14, 2:49am
Traffic congestion is another thing to consider when relocating--especially as we age. I saw an article on my msn tabloid news that identified the most DANGEROUS intersections in the nation, and one of them is in St. Louis on Grand Avenue, not too far from the old downtowntown area. I don't doubt that traffic is murder, there.

sweetana3
8-29-14, 5:14am
If traffic were a big consideration, those old people would not be moving to Florida.

iris lilies
8-29-14, 10:02am
Traffic congestion is another thing to consider when relocating--especially as we age. I saw an article on my msn tabloid news that identified the most DANGEROUS intersections in the nation, and one of them is in St. Louis on Grand Avenue, not too far from the old downtowntown area. I don't doubt that traffic is murder, there.

ha, that's probably an intersection I travel through weekly, I'm not far from Grand Ave. But I'm not aware of any particularly dangerous place on Grand.

edited to add: I looked i up and this is an intersection that is in an historic neighborhood just north of downtown, I am just south of downtown. This isn't in my area at all.

iris lilies
8-29-14, 9:56pm
Oh, but there are a few affordable Victorians in Albany...(right in the heart of the valley):
http://www.johnlscott.com/Home/676742/WVY/319-7th-Av-Albany-OR-97321/

Oh my, that one is really cute and affordable. And the kitchen makes me drool.

Gardenarian
8-30-14, 11:44am
Hi everyone - writing from Ashland - yes, a pretty small city in the middle of nowhere! Unfortunately there is still a lot of smoke from the Norcal "Oregon Fire" that is casting a strange orange pall over everything. The city is not as pristine as I had hoped (after visiting Cape Cod, I'm somewhat spoiled - all the tidy rows of shingled cottages.) There are more billboards and chain restaurants and just general ugliness than I expected...but the weather is lovely, the people nice, the shops are fun, and there is a whole lot of outdoors out here!

THe house prices - coming from San Francisco, I have to say they seem shockingly low to me. We are going to look at some with a realtor today and see what the insides are like. A 25x100 vacant lot goes for over $400,000 where we currently live, so to get a lot five times that size with a nice house or two on it at the same price seems like a deal to me! We'll have to be careful not to be taken for suckers (when, IF, it comes to that.)

All in all, it seems like there would be more opportunities for me and dh to explore our talents and dreams out here, while not having to pinch pennies as much as in California. I am not entirely sold, nor is dd. We're here for three more days. so we'll see what that brings.

Today: checking out the bike trail (Bear Creek Greenway), real estate, and then a swim at Lake Emigrant - and I hope - Shakespeare in the evening.

Having fun!

JaneV2.0
8-30-14, 11:47am
Personally, I would check out other towns in Oregon--Eugene, Corvallis, or the coast--that aren't so isolated. Explore your options.

Gardenarian
8-31-14, 11:53am
Saw "Two Gentlemen of Verona" last night - brilliant production.

House hunting - saw two very likely candidates (one Victorian that I'm trying not to fall in love with!)

We may be making a move...dh and I have been increasingly tired of the noise, congestion, and expense of the San Francisco area, and I'm planning on retiring this year anyway. (I've been saying "this year" for several years now.)

Although Ashland is not near a city, it is closest to our old friends in SF, which is a big plus. A 6 hour drive is doable for a week-end, and there are also lots of public and ride-share options to SF as well. It is also sunnier and warmer than most of Oregon.

One of the deciding factors now is that many of dd's homeschooling friends parted ways when they came of high school age (they stay in touch online, but it's not the same.) She is feeling isolated in our small town, and is even considering enrolling in school. There IS no school in the Bay Area town we live in. Ashland has a wealth of opportunities, many more kids, and a good high school (should we decide that is what would be best.)

Change is in the air...

JaneV2.0
8-31-14, 1:30pm
I can see how proximity to San Francisco--along with good weather--would make Ashland attractive to you. Change is good!

awakenedsoul
8-31-14, 2:34pm
That's fantastic, Gardenarian! I've wanted to do the same thing for years...the Victorian house sounds beautiful.