PDA

View Full Version : Unleashing my inner beach girl

TxZen
8-29-14, 5:50pm
I have loved the beach since I can remember. I love the sand in my toes, the never ending interesting shells and birds and sea creatures. I love it all year around- cold, hot, raining, hi tide, ripple waves- doesn’t matter. I once started down a path to purchase a home on the water in CT. It was tiny but livable with beach access. It belonged to a family member of a friend I worked with. I needed a cash down payment of $20,000 and I was 19 and working 3 jobs. I was very motivated and had almost $6000 saved when I decided to ditch CT and join the military. I decided if I was going to get a beach house, it was going to be somewhere warm.
Fast forward 20 years, while I am not quite near the beach, I have a nice home that I am going to beachify. I don’t like the whole seashells and dolphins décor, but more of a wink and nod to the essence of the beach. Lots of white, my favorite turquoise and some fun stripes and texture (think of the old weathered wood of a dock) and there you go.
This has resulted in an even larger clean out that I figured on. I donated what I already had but have even more to deal with so I am going to have a yardsale. I hope to sell enough to pay for the paint and curtains I would like. I think these 2 things will have a major impact on the look of my home, for little $$$. I am so excited!!!
And to keep in the spirit of all things beachy, I went to Ross today. I am not a big shopper but came across 2 pairs of beach pants for $7 and $12 each and I am in love!!! 1 pair is a peachy pink and the other is charcoal black, both are really long and comfy. Perfect with my flip flops and I feel like they fit my body type well yet they are cool enough for the 105 degree weather here today.
While I was cleaning out, I found a beautiful turquoise frosted vase that I am going to put on my dining table with some fresh cute white flowers and I found 2 more large candles. I just need to purchase 2 large hurricane holders for them. They are going to reside on my long dresser in my bedroom.
I guess the whole point of this post is I am finally being me. I have always wanted to do this and now is the time. J

catherine
8-29-14, 6:41pm
First of all, if you feel comfortable telling me where in CT you almost bought a house, I'd love to know, because I grew up in a beach town in CT. Not only that, but my summers were spent at my aunt's cottage in another beach town.

I spent a LOT of time mourning the loss of that house (my mother couldn't keep it and had to sell it after my aunt died) because I had very, very strong emotional ties to it. As a matter of fact, just two nights ago I had a dream that I went back there and they had turned it into condos. So I know what you mean about wanting to unleash your inner beach girl. I've made lists about what made this summer experience so special so that I could at least create those elements in my NJ world. So for me, it's not about doing a cottage-theme decor as much as it is capturing the life--the freedom, the connection with the natural world, the simple routines, the stability my aunt brought.

But good luck with finding your inner beach girl! Sounds like you're having fun.

cdttmm
8-29-14, 6:57pm
Sounds amazing, GreenMama!

ApatheticNoMore
8-29-14, 7:26pm
http://www.sunset.com/home/decorating/how-to-decorate-a-beach-house

there was a whole issue of the magazine about the beach awhile go (beach destintions, beach recipes, and including decor), not that I can find it, much less online and free. But that link is what I found.

TxZen
8-29-14, 8:33pm
Catherine- I grew up in South Eastern CT and the house was near Old Saybrook area.

JaneV2.0
8-29-14, 9:45pm
I lived on the coast for the first eight years of my life; I love beach cottages! (As I noted in another thread--any getaway-style house will do.) We had some impressive storms, and even a tsunami warning once.

(That issue of Sunset might be available through your library--it's worth a try.)

awakenedsoul
8-29-14, 11:01pm
Green Mama,

Good for you! I live in a 567 square foot cottage. I was told that the original homes in this area were beach houses that they brought up from Malibu. Mine is one of them. It has lots of windows. I love the design. They moved them here in the 40's. Before the addition, this house was even smaller. I almost sold it, due to some neighbor issues. But, as I get older, I'm really glad that I stayed.

It sounds like you are really motivated! Keep up the great work!

iris lily
8-30-14, 1:43am
Say where IS our beach girl for this thread? I guess she'll be along shortly...

shadowmoss
8-30-14, 5:25am
It was 105*? You must live near me.

catherine
8-30-14, 8:11am
Catherine- I grew up in South Eastern CT and the house was near Old Saybrook area.

My aunt's cottage was in Madison--we went to Old Saybrook all the time.

Davidwd
8-30-14, 12:30pm
A friend of mine was given a wrecked sailing dinghy, he stood it up vertically in the corner of his garden, a plank of wood across for a seat, a few shells and rocks and it looks great!

TxZen
8-30-14, 1:02pm
I saw the cutest use of a broken wooden boat..they cut out one side and inserted a twin mattress for a bed and made a form for the bottom to rest it on. SO cute!!

Today, I went in search of some paint and found some lovely beachy colors- sorta bleached out sand, whites, and a blue. :)

We are going to look for a small house maybe sometime next year. I would like around 1000 square feet. I am so excited!!!

Davidwd
8-30-14, 1:11pm
I love the beach, I would love to retire to the Norfolk Coast i spent a lot of time there when I was growing up, I still sail quite a lot at our local inland sailing club but nothing beats sailing on the sea. I am actually writing this from Lido di Jesolo, this is a last minute holiday paid for from my first stages of decluttering by selling my vintage bicycles and boat engines on ebay, unfortunately that is all the high value stuff gone but many loads still to take to my local Charity shop.

Spartana
8-31-14, 10:24pm
Say where IS our beach girl for this thread? I guess she'll be along shortly...

Ancient Malibu Beach Barbie heard her name :-) . Computer less so just lurking on tablet. Been gone too - Gave up the beach for the Sonoma wine country for now but Bodega Bay tomorrow - the best beach.

iris lilies
8-31-14, 10:26pm
Ancient Malibu Beach Barbie heard her name :-) . Computer less so just lurking on tablet. Ben gone too - Gave up the beach for the Sonoma wine county for now but Bodega Bay tomorrow - the best beach.

There she is!

Spartana
8-31-14, 10:30pm
There she is!

Ha ha - I figured if I said I was in the wine country (Napa quake and all) you'd hear me :-)