PDA

View Full Version : Prius C

Sad Eyed Lady
8-30-14, 10:39pm
As I have posted here before, my little Toyota Echo is getting on in years (it is a 2000) and 156,000 miles. I have been looking at some options and saw a small Prius the other day called a Prius C. I had no idea that Prius made a small car until I was behind one at the gas pumps. I was wondering if anyone here has first hand knowledge about them. I have been reading reviews and of course, as with most things, the reviews are mixed. One statement I read has given me pause; it said that due to the high dashboard some people may have a hard time seeing over it. Since I am not quite 5 feet myself, I am thinking this might be a problem for me. Of course till I actually get to see one, sit in it and do a test drive, I am not going to know for sure if this is for me, but would like to have your knowledge if you have had any experience with this car.

Lainey
8-30-14, 11:08pm
I have a friend who is 5'2" and was all set to buy this car also until she took it for a test drive and realized she couldn't see out the back. And she said a friend of hers had the same problem, so that's 2 people who wanted to buy the car but didn't for that reason.

sweetana3
8-31-14, 5:38am
I have a new Honda Civic and had to add a 2 inch cushion to the seat to be comfortable. Was not expecting this. I still cannot see the end of the front but have a rear view camera for backing up. I am 5'2".

razz
8-31-14, 8:56am
I am 5'6" (having shrunk over the years) and bought a Prius V and love it. I did look at the Prius C but the lack of trunk space and room for my dog removed it from any consideration. It is fine as a second car or runabout but as the family-use car, a Prius C would not be on my list. A Mazda 3 might be a better option.

catherine
8-31-14, 9:54am
I don't know about the Prius C, but I have the traditional Prius (2007). I'm 5'2", and I would say that the back window is a slight design flaw, however, it wouldn't stop me from buying another Prius--I can see out of the back, but just not as clearly a I might be able to in other cars. I have really enjoyed my car and plan on getting another Prius when this one gives out (unless there are some good electric options by that time).

To razz's point, my DH has a Honda Fit, and that car is amazing for space configuration, so if that's a need you have, maybe the Prius C isn't the best. But DH and I both agree that my Prius is much more comfortable than his Fit for long drives--I don't know if the smaller version would also be more comfortable or not.

Sad Eyed Lady
9-6-14, 7:09pm
Well - it happened! There is a new Prius C two sitting in my driveway! I have actually been teary over giving up my faithful Echo after all these years, and I refused to go off and leave her sitting on the dealership's lot. My best friend's brother is buying it from me and I feel so much better. He actually has an Echo himself and can do his own repair etc., and as DH told me, "it is getting a good home". Now, to make friends with the new one and begin this new and hopefully long-term relationship. BTW, love that 54.9 MPG I have been seeing on my readout!

rosarugosa
9-7-14, 7:55am
Congratulations, SEL! I hope you have many happy years together!

catherine
9-7-14, 8:17am
Congratulations! Yes, it is really fun knowing how much mileage you're getting out of a tank of gas! Seems the Prius C might be even better than mine--I get around 48/50.

Enjoy it!

Lainey
9-7-14, 4:40pm
That's excellent gas mileage. Glad to hear that you're happy with it.

sweetana3
9-7-14, 6:40pm
My Honda Civic just got 42 mpg on a 800 mile trip. Not as good but not as expensive with a standard 4cyl engine.

Blackdog Lin
9-7-14, 6:46pm
Congratulations! May you have many happy years together.

Packy
9-9-14, 12:31pm
Have fun with your Prius! As for me, I wouldn't mind having a low-mileage Echo, if I could find one at the wreckin' yard, sometime.

larknm
9-29-14, 10:51am
Sad Eyed Lady, your mileage is phenomenal! Congrats for that plus the whole package. Like Catherine I have a 2007 Prius but only get 45-6 mpg.

rodeosweetheart
9-29-14, 12:19pm
Sad Eyed Lady, your mileage is phenomenal! Congrats for that plus the whole package. Like Catherine I have a 2007 Prius but only get 45-6 mpg.

I just took a trip in my Toyota Yaris, which has 100,000 miles on it. I was shocked to see I got 45 mpg on the highway. Yippers!

mschrisgo2
9-29-14, 11:44pm
I made the trip from northern California to Northern Utah in my new Kia Soul over Labor day weekend, 1700 miles altogether, averaged 41 mpg.
After driving minivans (Dodge, Chrysler) for 18 years I'm really loving my little car! I still have flexible space, just not so much of it.

SteveinMN
9-30-14, 8:31pm
Sad Eyed Lady, congratulations on the new wheels!

After driving minivans (Dodge, Chrysler) for 18 years I'm really loving my little car! I still have flexible space, just not so much of it.
I have amazed people with what I've been able to stuff into my Jetta station wagon: a three-seat sofa, assembled NordicTracks, assembled tall bookcases, queen-sized futons, 7-foot Christmas trees, .... You can get really creative about finding the space!