PDA

View Full Version : scary and exciting all at once: a new(er) car after 16 years

Blackdog Lin
9-1-14, 10:14pm
Well, we did it. After 16 years of driving the big brown beast ('94 Chevy Astrovan that we bought in '98 and took from 70K miles to 206K miles - a lot of life and nostalgia there) - she's gone and replaced. It really might have been silly of us to replace her, as she was dependable as all get out and cost us even the last 2 years $306 and $378 in repairs respectively, which is dirt cheap, especially considering insurance and vehicle property taxes (simple living at it's best!).....

.....But we decided it was time. But boy! is it ever scary to people who aren't used to vehicle switching. What if we haven't chosen well? What if we don't get lucky with this one like the last one? What if WE'VE MADE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE?!!!

So welcome to the Blackdog Lin garage, a super-cute 2010 Ford Escape XLT (small SUV I guess), with just enough bells and whistles to make it modern but not so many as to intimidate us. With 46,000 miles, again, not too many but enough to make it affordable. We both agreed that this was the one.

Exciting. And scary.

But I be stylin"! :)

razz
9-1-14, 10:46pm
Smoooth sailing ahead in your Escape! It is scary to make the transition.

Sad Eyed Lady
9-1-14, 11:23pm
I know what you mean Blackdog Lin. I just posted here a couple of nights ago about looking at a small Prius C after my faithful Toyota Echo has reached the ripe old age of 14 or 15 (depending on when it came out), and 156,000 miles. No decision has been made yet, but I have looked and continue to look at this new thing that has caught my eye. I am just so darn ATTACHED to this little Echo that has seen me through all these years and has done a good job at that. So, I know your mix of excitement and trepidation.

iris lilies
9-1-14, 11:25pm
That's nice, it sounds very nice! We've got a 2009 Mercury Mariner, the same thing really. It's fine, but I miss my station wagon.

ApatheticNoMore
9-2-14, 1:08am
It's a lot of money to buy a vehicle (which is more obvious if you don't take a loan). Of course I researched, the history of the car, took it to a mechanic for inspection before buying it - and all that for a car I bought used from a car dealer. But nonetheless, lots of money: scary!!

rosarugosa
9-2-14, 4:42am
Congratulations, Lin! We replaced our almost 19 y o Saturn in January (also with a Ford), and it was indeed a bit scary. Good luck with your new vehicle!

Float On
9-2-14, 8:00am
What color did you get? The only think I don't like about my '09 escape is that I got the most popular color - red. I swear there are 13 red escapes in my little town.

goldensmom
9-2-14, 8:07am
We recently got a new to us vehicle (2012 Chrysler Town and Country) and sadly discovered that although it cost twice as much as our 2007 T&C, it is not nearly as well made.....not a solid, lots of plastic, squeaks and creaks. Nothing I can do about it, it's just the ways vehicles are made now, more expensive but cheaply made.

Alan
9-2-14, 8:33am
So welcome to the Blackdog Lin garage, a super-cute 2010 Ford Escape XLT (small SUV I guess), with just enough bells and whistles to make it modern but not so many as to intimidate us. With 46,000 miles, again, not too many but enough to make it affordable. We both agreed that this was the one.

I'm sure you'll be very happy with your Escape. I have an 08 Escape Hybrid which I bought new in the summer of 07. After 7 years of daily driver duties and 170,000 miles on the odometer, I feel like it's finally broken in.

pinkytoe
9-2-14, 11:09am
I am still sitting on the fence about buying my "retirement" forever car so I understand the anxiety. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my 19 year old Volvo - it just keeps rolling. But as dd says, it looks like a "ghetto" car which is beginning to bother me. Every time I think about all the costs of buying a newer car - insurance, worrying about dings, etc. I back down. Looking at a Subaru Forester but they seem so expensive for what they are...

Spartana
9-2-14, 11:31am
Congrats BDL! I also got a new small SUV recently - 2014 4 cylinder Dodge Journey for $15k new -and love it. Replaced my 14 year old gas guzzling Ford Ranger truck - which I still own but keep it at home in driveway when travelling (like now) so it looks like someone is there. I plan to keep this car for 10 plus years to. It doesn't very good gas mileage for a 4 cylinder but better than the truck and has enough broom to sleep in when I camp. Will off set the fuel costs by riding my bike as often as possible. Like you, I wondered if I was doing the right thing but ended up being a great choice for me.

ToomuchStuff
9-2-14, 12:08pm
I am still sitting on the fence about buying my "retirement" forever car so I understand the anxiety. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my 19 year old Volvo - it just keeps rolling. But as dd says, it looks like a "ghetto" car which is beginning to bother me. Every time I think about all the costs of buying a newer car - insurance, worrying about dings, etc. I back down. Looking at a Subaru Forester but they seem so expensive for what they are...

What makes it look like a ghetto car? (if paint, do a google search for rolled on paint jobs)

It doesn't very good gas mileage for a 4 cylinder but better than the truck and has enough broom to sleep in when I camp. Will off set the fuel costs by riding my bike as often as possible. Like you, I wondered if I was doing the right thing but ended up being a great choice for me.

Did you just refer to yourself as a witch? (broom):laff:

I've got a 20 year old truck that I should sell. (has 130K on the body, 80K on the motor) Could get out of it, what I paid for and initially put into it ( $1k), just can't get passed the having a paid for, dependable emergency vehicle yet. (also kind of emotionally attached from rebuilding it) I know the fear about, did I just buy a lemon. Barring that, that will subside.

awakenedsoul
9-2-14, 3:22pm
Congratulations on the new car! I hope it works out well for you. I've owned five used cars in my lifetime. Each one has been great. I miss the days when I could buy a used Volkswagon Rabbit for $1,000. and drive it all over creation for ten years! Fortunately, my bus pass and bicycle are serving me well here in suburbia...

Gardenarian
9-2-14, 5:56pm
Sounds like a great choice - long may you run!

Sad Eyed Lady
9-2-14, 8:23pm
Sounds like a great choice - long may you run! :+1: Do I detect a Neil Young fan?

Blackdog Lin
9-2-14, 8:27pm
Thanks for all the good wishes. Anyway whew! it's done. We finalized today and she's ours, hopefully for the next 15 years!

I'm hoping instinct will cover us - every other vehicle we've ever purchased (all used) we've just "this one is fine, it'll work for us, the price is right".....we never put a lot of thought into a new(er) vehicle. Of course, all that was before internet research and reviews and such. But we mostly always got lucky: vehicles that did indeed turn out to be worth the purchase price. Let's hope our instinct holds out in this case. :) I feel really good about the vehicle, and the price, and the warranty - so it bodes well.

We're still laughing at ourselves about the 2-week process of deciding. We had the "above the line" budget where we should stay (I typed it all out for DH so he could see just how much money there was, from where, and what we could spend and what amount we couldn't go beyond) and then the "below the line" budget where we COULD but probably SHOULDN'T. So of course we're both focusing on the below-the-line figure, and looking at (1) a brand new vehicle, and (2) a tricked-out used one with leather seats and full nav touchscreen and only 12K miles.....

And I was feverishly researching them, and DH was shutting down on the conversations, and I realized that we were both sick to our stomachs, not about buying a newer vehicle, but about the dollar amount we were thinking of investing in the decision. Once we downgraded our expectations (higher mileage, less bells and whistles, and most importantly within our original budget) we both calmed down and were okay with the whole thing.

Road trip tomorrow - to get to know her better!