PDA

View Full Version : I got a job!

pony mom
9-4-14, 11:07pm
I start training at a health food store tomorrow. It's only one day a week so far, but the money will come in handy since the spa is so slow. Feeling a bit nervous, especially since I'm not a big eater, certainly don't eat as well as I should, and don't like trying new things. But they sell supplements and remedies and herbs and natural skincare stuff, so I won't be totally lost.

I'll be learning lots of health-related things so I'll be able to pitch in here and there on the forum. It's funny because I had applied for a few other jobs lately and knew they weren't a good fit for me but I needed to try. Everything always turns out OK in the end and I always get what I need.

Now I can wear my thrift store clothes and look nice every day. No jeans and t-shirts for me!

gimmethesimplelife
9-4-14, 11:44pm
I start training at a health food store tomorrow. It's only one day a week so far, but the money will come in handy since the spa is so slow. Feeling a bit nervous, especially since I'm not a big eater, certainly don't eat as well as I should, and don't like trying new things. But they sell supplements and remedies and herbs and natural skincare stuff, so I won't be totally lost.

I'll be learning lots of health-related things so I'll be able to pitch in here and there on the forum. It's funny because I had applied for a few other jobs lately and knew they weren't a good fit for me but I needed to try. Everything always turns out OK in the end and I always get what I need.

Now I can wear my thrift store clothes and look nice every day. No jeans and t-shirts for me!Congrats! I hope this works out well for you. Rob

razz
9-5-14, 5:50am
Wishing you the best and lots of wonderful discoveries.

Float On
9-5-14, 7:08am
Congrats!

pinkytoe
9-5-14, 9:22am
Have fun!

Tenngal
9-5-14, 9:50am
this is great news and glad to hear you are looking forward to it!

SteveinMN
9-5-14, 2:25pm
Congratulations! Enjoy it!

Tussiemussies
9-5-14, 4:10pm
Congratulations...glad for you!

Blackdog Lin
9-5-14, 7:53pm
I'm so happy for you. May it turn out to be all you hope it to be.

awakenedsoul
9-5-14, 8:15pm
pony mom, Good for you! I'm glad you'll be able to wear your nice clothes. It sounds like fun. I used to cashier at a farm fruit and vegetable stand, and I really liked it. I did it for side income, too. I liked the people. I'm sure you'll get to know the regulars and enjoy the work.

Gardenarian
9-5-14, 9:24pm
Sounds like the start of something really good!

pony mom
9-5-14, 11:18pm
Thanks everyone!

Today I tried a yucca chip. It didn't kill me! Tonight was mostly learning how to close up for the night, spraying produce, sweeping floors, etc. I scrubbed the bathroom sink so it looks like it belongs in a healthy place. Oh, and since I'm sometimes a neatfreak, I enjoyed pulling all the products to the front of the shelves. Not rocket science. The register intimidates me a bit, but I'll get the hang of it. Organic produce is pretty!

The store is a smaller branch of a small health food store in another town. If I can get more hours, I'll get benefits (they pay into it, I pay the rest), 401K (they contribute), paid time off, paid lunch, and a store discount. I worked for 23 years for a major supermarket chain, in the corporate office, and no one got a store discount.

Thank goodness Whole Foods or Trader Joe's hasn't made it to this town yet. This is the only store of this kind in the area and it seems to be steadily busy.

citrine
9-6-14, 7:47am
Congratulations Ponymom, sounds like a great place to work :)

Selah
9-6-14, 3:02pm
Congratulations on the new gig, Ponymom, and your expansion into yucca chip awareness! :cool: