PDA

View Full Version : I had a bicycle accident

awakenedsoul
9-9-14, 6:06pm
As most of you know, I've been riding my bike and taking the bus to save money. Today, on my way to the gym, I hit a fallen No Stopping sign that was laying in the sidewalk. I was on that stretch of highway that makes me nervous, so I ride on the sidewalk. I was looking ahead, and didn't realize until right before I hit the sign that it was in my path. I landed on my face, chin and teeth. I realized I was laying on my stomach on the cement, and when I got upI felt like I was going to faint. I called 911. Nobody driving by stopped. My front teeth feel kind of loose, but my mom (who used to work for an orthodontist,) thinks they will tighten up. I've got a gash on my forehead and on my chin.

The paramedics took me to the hospital and they immediately started doing all of these tests. I finally stopped them and said, "I can't afford this. I just fell off my bike, I didn't break my neck." (They wanted to x ray my neck, my skinned knee, (it has a lump,) and they xrayed my heart and internal organs as soon as I got there. I "refused treatment" and cleaned myself up in the bathroom. I have the Silver Plan through Obamacare, but I'm worried about what the charges would be. I took a cab home and am laying low.

I probably will ask an attorney about the bills, since the sign is what tripped me as I was riding. Now I see why the sidewalks have to be clear. I had my helmet on, but I landed face down. Has anyone else had an experience like this?

Those of you who are considering letting go of your health insurance, I wouldn't do it. You never know when this kind of thing will happen. I've never been to the hospital. Once you're on a stretcher, they start all kinds of tests. You don't really have any say. They just do it. I had low blood pressure and almost fainted. I was shaking a lot, but I think I was just in shock and frightened that someone would take advantage of me before the paramedics arrived.

I'm so glad I had my cell phone, a bottle of water, and a clean towel to press on my head. It helped with the bleeding. From now on I'll carry a first aid kit, too. I was very lucky. The doctor and one of the nurses came in and said to me, "Good for you." (for stopping the tests and telling them I don't want those bills.) You really have to protect yourself, financially.

catherine
9-9-14, 6:13pm
So sorry about this, awakenedsoul I'm glad you're home and can put it past you, but I'm sure it was very frightening! Especially having injuries to your face and head.

Yeah, you never know when you'll wind up in a hospital. My DS is going through the same thing, having fallen down a flight of stairs a few weeks ago. You can't say, "I'm young," or "I'm healthy" so I don't need insurance. Anything can happen.

Feel better, and try to negotiate with the hospital on the bills. If you can get some free legal advice, definitely find out if the city's insurance company will settle.

cdttmm
9-9-14, 6:22pm
Scary! Glad to hear you are home and recovered, awakenedsoul!

Definitely talk to an attorney, if you can. But you might discover that riding on the sidewalk is illegal and that the city could cite you for doing it, which would be a totally downer -- so let's hope that's not the case!!!

In the meantime, take it easy, rest up, and let your body heal!!!

Float On
9-9-14, 6:37pm
So sorry about your accident. Very scary.
I too wonder if there is an ordinance against wheels on the sidewalk but it might be worth contacting the city or county or whoever maintains that road. It might be worth suggesting they improve a bike lane. Start a petition and attend city hall or county p&z meetings.

The one time I ever had to go to an ER with an ambulance ride was one month after we lost our health insurance. It ended up being a lot cheaper paying it in payments than my deductible was when I had insurance.

awakenedsoul
9-9-14, 7:05pm
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the information. There is no bike path at this area of the highway. It's super tight...no shoulder, either. One time I rode on the street, and it was too scary. The cars go 50 mph, and I didn't feel safe. All of the bicyclists ride on the sidewalk at this section. Our city is very bike friendly. But, this area is narrow...it's just before a bridge.

CathyA
9-9-14, 7:28pm
Oh gee Awakenedsoul..........I'm so sorry this happened to you! Does your cut need stitches? I've heard the same thing about loose teeth, but maybe you can read up on it and be sure that's true. I'd hate for your teeth to die because you didn't see a dentist.
I would definitely find out about the town's liability with that sign being down.
Be sure to keep ice on all the spots that hurt......especially your face/mouth. I'm sure you'll be very sore tomorrow.
Wish I could come and take care of you!
Take it easy............and I'm so glad you weren't hurt worse. I can't believe nobody stopped to help you! :(

gimmethesimplelife
9-9-14, 7:44pm
AWS - I hear you completely about the tests and not wanting them done. I have not posted this here yet but last May (2013) I went to work in far NE Utah for all of one week. I found a seasonal job out by the Flaming Gorge area of Utah and settled in and made $300 in two days waiting tables and all was going well when I had been there for one week and had a panic attack on the job - something I had never experienced before. It ended out that two people on staff were EMT's and they took my blood pressure and pulse and got me off the floor and called the sheriff's office and an ambulance. I was told I would need to go to the hospital in Rock Springs, Wyoming - the closest hospital and I was terrified as I did not have insurance at the time. Here's another reason I don't like the police - THE SHERIFF THREATENED TO TASER AND ARREST ME for not being willing to go bankrupt by being taken to the hospital in Wyoming. I started crying as I was so stressed out and still feeling the panic attack and so living in terror of my citizenship and the police and healthcare and just in general having it shoved in my face how few rights we truly have here - the crying actually lowered my blood pressure and the doctor on call at the hospital told me as a result that I would not need to go to the hospital. So I dodged a huge bullet there. The next day (I was off ) the owner's wife told me if it were to ever happen again I'd need to leave, and wouldn't you know, I promptly had another panic attack and ended out getting a ride to Vernal, 37 miles away, where I could make connections to get back home.

But getting back to your post, Awakened Soul - that was so scary as I felt I was looking bankruptcy right in the face and who knows how many tests they would have run and at what cost? I'm so glad I managed to dodge that bullet and I so agree with you about insurance. I have Medicaid right now and I have a doctor and a hospital hooked up to my plan within walking distance from where I live. Something I am truly grateful for. There is a part of me that is thinking about applying to work in Olympic National Park next year - and there is a part of me that thinks, assuming I'm hired, do I really want to live that remotely again? Being out in the middle of nowhere and having that happen was a huge wake up call for me. Though in Washington I'd be able to get on the exchanges and get decent insurance but still.....do I really want to live that remote, and then there's always the question whether or not anyone close by would even take the insurance? But once again, you are so right about having insurance because you just don't know. Rob

PS I'm also glad that you are in one piece.....sorry this happened though, what an unpleasant experience.

Gardenarian
9-9-14, 8:24pm
Oh no! How are you feeling now? What a terribly shock!
Some accidents simply can't be avoided, and they'll happen to all of us one day.
It sounds like you handled it really well. I hope I have the presence of mind to refuse unnecessary tests when my turn rolls around.
I'm so glad it wasn't more serious - I bet keeping yourself in good physical condition probably kept you from being more severely injured.

Tussiemussies
9-9-14, 8:25pm
Oh I am so very sorry that this happened to you. It. Must have shocked you a little. I am glAd you were intact after it all.

One piece of advice is to go to the scene immediately and take pictures of the fallen sign and a
Street sign trying to get the street sign in the picture and take a few. This will help with the lawyer....Christine

I hope you,heal quickly.....

Lainey
9-9-14, 8:27pm
awakenedsoul - Sounds like you basically made it out okay, which is good news although any falls as an adult are jarring. I'm also thinking you could get some good advice - legal and medical - from a local bicycle club group, if you can find one, or an online bike forum of some kind? I'm sure their members have had similar experiences and could advise you.

Rob,
so sorry to hear of your Utah experience, especially with the sheriff! Some people have no business wearing a uniform or having any public authority whatsoever.

iris lilies
9-9-14, 8:40pm
yikes, this is too bad. Falls are so jarring, one's memory can feel them for such a long time.

rosarugosa
9-9-14, 8:51pm
So sorry to hear about your fall, Awakened! Hope you are OK!

Packy
9-9-14, 9:10pm
Awakenedsoul--I empathize---those bike wrecks, even at low speeds--they HURT! I know from personal experience. Take it easy, put some ice on the sore spots--and then, go back to riding soon.

Blackdog Lin
9-9-14, 10:01pm
I feel so bad for you - and hope you are fully recovered soon. Insurance is a bitch, eh?

awakenedsoul
9-9-14, 10:08pm
Thank you so much, everybody. I feel like I was VERY fortunate. I've been riding a bike since I was three years old, and this is the first time I've been hurt. It seems like my muscles really protected my bones. I'm glad I've been exercising and swimming. I'm banged up, but the rest of me feels strong, and that's a relief.

The paramedics thought I'd have a couple of stitches, but I think it will heal. They used some kind of glue that they put in wounds now. I wasn't aware of it at the time. My front tooth is bleeding, and looks like it has a crack in the middle. I'm so lucky I didn't lose my front teeth! I will check into bonding and make sure they are alive. They just feel sore.

I'm still surprised at what can happen at such a slow speed, just toodling on a beach cruiser. I had no idea that something laying on the ground like that could throw you in the air. The bike landed upside down, on its seat.

Thanks for all the tips. I've only been to the doctor three times since I left home at age 17. That was just for earwax build up from flying overseas, and an ear infection. So, medically, I have been very fortunate.

I'm glad I've read stories here about what x-rays cost, because my mind started tallying up what they were doing. I also remembered reading on this forum that Health Net doesn't cover much. (That's my co. with the Silver Plan of Obamacare.) The woman who did my paperwork said it will help that I'm unemployed and living on savings. (I just had an audition yesterday.) I could see that if I didn't say something, there would have been all kinds of bills. I take after my father, he always wants to know how much things are going to cost.

Rob, I felt like my reaction was more of fright, too. The nervous system can go kind of haywire. My dog is the same way. She was abused, and if she's afraid she'll start to shake and her teeth will chatter. That's how my body reacted.

It sure helps to be prepared. I resisted technology for years, and finally got a cell phone a couple of years ago. Having a bottle of water, a clean towel to press on the wounds, and some beef jerky to eat at the hospital made a huge difference! I don't think I'll be getting back on the bike for a little while.

Sure makes you appreciate your health and it puts things in perspective. I'm really grateful for all of your replies.

Sad Eyed Lady
9-9-14, 11:46pm
awakenedsoul, I am glad you had no broken bones or head injuries, but still what you experienced is scary and painful! Rest, ice, and baby yourself till you feel better. Keep a close eye on the teeth - you don't want to lose them.

thinkgreen
9-9-14, 11:57pm
I am so sorry. I hope you're not too stiff when you wake in the morning!

A similar thing happened to me about 30 years ago. (The memory will stay with you.) I was cycling in a busy area and a car came very close to me. They didn't hit me but it was too close for my comfort and I reacted by steering onto the edge of the road which resulted in falling off the bike. I was a bit luckier than you. I was in shock for awhile but physically only scrapes and bruises. I walked the bike until I settled down and then rode back home. It changed how I felt about commuting by cycle and I started driving more often.

All the best to you for a speedy recovery.

ToomuchStuff
9-10-14, 1:44am
I would be interested in seeing what you find out about riding where you rode. Here, it is illegal past a certain age, to ride on the sidewalk (think around 8 years old), and your expected to obey and use the street. That said, it is also illegal to ride on a highway, however some "highways" (technically are) are also streets and it isn't enforced.
Did you get a picture of the down street sign at the scene? That will certainly come up if you try to collect from the city, since they will want to know exactly how it was down so you didn't see it and have time to avoid it Since it may have changed since then, you wouldn't have proof and anything you do might be construed as staging.

Davidwd
9-10-14, 1:48am
Get well soon, sounds like an awful experience. I am so glad we have the National Health Service in the UK, it's just something we take for granted!

razz
9-10-14, 8:06am
All I can offer is my wishes for a speedy recovery of your confidence and some online hugs. It may help to remember how many safe, enjoyable and comfortable bike rides you have had over the years to counteract the emotional impact of this tumble. Add them up and list them to review and remind.

awakenedsoul
9-10-14, 10:26am
Thanks again everybody. ToomuchStuff, I did take a photo of the sign on the ground at the time of the accident. I also took photos of my injuries at the hospital. The first thing the paramedic said when he arrived was, "Her front wheel hit the sign." It was very obvious. I was about to enter the bike path that crosses under the highway. (It runs perpendicular to the highway.) You have to go on the sidewalk to enter the bike path. The entrance has a tight u type turn with a railing. This part of the highway is just before a freeway on ramp.

Two police officers came to talk to me at the hospital. It seemed like they felt badly that the sign was there. They didn't say it, but their body language was kind of sad and sheepish. (they had gone to a "priority call" instead of coming to me, because at first I thought I could walk to the bus stop and go to Urgent Care, since I could stand. Then I realized I was falling asleep on the cement and I called 911 back.) The emergency team was amazing. I was so impressed with their work. I'm going to write them all thank you notes. It's a very noble calling. They're very compassionate and conscientious.
I wouldn't have fallen if the sign wasn't completely down. I never thought to look at the ground when I ride. From now on I will scan everything in front of me. I had taken the bus on the stretch of the highway near my house that does have a bike path. I just feel safer on the bus. I wouldn't have my child ride a bike on that highway, so I don't.

I'm sure glad I have my stockpile. I have enough food and water to stay home and rest. Thank God I had just gotten some emergency cash at the credit union. From now on, I'm always going to carry cash with me. The cab from the hospital was $30.00.

pinkytoe
9-10-14, 11:38am
I hope you feel better soon. Very scary! We have bike lanes on a busy street near my house and at least once a week I see an "incident". Humans on bicycles seem so fragile compared to all the obstacles they meet in a big city.

Spartana
9-10-14, 5:02pm
Awakenedsoul - So sorry to hear about your crash. Glad you are OK. I agree with keeping some sort of health insurance coverage as you never know when it'll be needed. Doesn't matter how healthy a person is if they get into an accident. I also ride a lot around here (Orange County) and dealing with traffic is terrible. Few bike lanes and crazy drivers. I often ride on sidewalks myself even though it is illegal to do so. But it's safer. I don't know what the laws are in your town (they seem to vary from city to city in LA metro area) but check out this blog for some info. http://ladotbikeblog.wordpress.com/2010/08/04/la-county-sidewalk-riding-part1/ Not sure you could justify a legal suit over your accident unless your city allows bikes on the sidewalk - in most cases they don't.

frugalone
9-10-14, 5:26pm
Oh goodness! I just saw this now. I am so glad you're OK.
I used to work in the legal field, and yes, definitely take some pictures of the scene.

awakenedsoul
9-10-14, 8:15pm
Hi again. My brother is going to get me a good deal on a used car through Enterprise. He's a district manager there. I'll probably get another Kia, with a 100,000 mile warranty. This time I won't put in a new engine.

I'm going to see if the City will settle and pay my deductible. I called the hospital, and so far the bill is nearly $20,000. She said it could be more. My deductible is around $6,000. I taught for the City for several years...(Parks and Rec, City Hall, and the Senior Center...) They might agree. If not, I will try Small Claims. I've done a lot of research and have won a business case in Small Claims before. It involved an issue with the city. The documentation was key. I have the cash in savings, either way.

I'm looking forward to getting all this healed so I can do some swimming and yoga again! The lesson I learned was, "If you have a bad feeling about something, don't do it." I always hated riding on that piece of the highway. It just felt so dangerous. Several people asked me, "Aren't you afraid someone is going to hit you when you're on your bike?" It's made me much more cautious.

SteveinMN
9-10-14, 9:21pm
I just saw this, awakenedsoul. I'm so sorry!! I'm glad it wasn't very serious and I hope you heal soon.

If you get another Kia through your brother, be aware that, unless Enterprise has some kind of deal with Kia, second owners do not get the 10/100,000 warranty. I think it's 4/50,000, but it's definitely shorter. However, a 2013-2014 Kia is a significantly-better-built car than an early-2000s Kia.

pony mom
9-10-14, 9:47pm
Hope you're feeling better soon and aren't afraid to ride again. And thank goodness you were wearing your helmet!!! Things could have been much worse. Even though you didn't hit your head, you might have.

Packy
9-11-14, 4:53am
The pain of getting that hospital bill--that would hurt! I hope you get reimbursement. Anyway, in this city, it's in violation of the city ordinances regarding bicycles to use the sidewalk directly in front of retail businesses. At the same time, it's statistically proven to be more dangerous to ride on sidewalks than the street in residential areas. Nevertheless, there are times---such as crossing on a viaduct or overpass, when it seems using the pedestrian walkway is the best option. Last time I had a bike crash, it was an "endo" at very low speed. I rode into a narrow, grassy culvert and my front wheel dropped into it, and I went over the bars and landed on my head. I was wearing a helmet, so my neck took the punishment. I did manage to ride home, and called my chiropractor, described what happened & asked for an appointment on short notice. He worked me in, and X-rayed my neck. I felt like it could possibly have a fracture, but was reluctant to go to the E-room, because my insurance at that time was $4,000 deductible. So, the D.C. clinic X-rayed it for a couple hundred bucks, and it turns out I was okay--but sore for upwards of a month. But, I don't ride across grassy terrain on my road bikes, because a pothole or hidden culvert can really trip you up.

ToomuchStuff
9-11-14, 7:47am
I never thought to look at the ground when I ride. From now on I will scan everything in front of me. I had taken the bus on the stretch of the highway near my house that does have a bike path. I just feel safer on the bus. I wouldn't have my child ride a bike on that highway, so I don't.

That is a statement I wouldn't repeat, It won't help you any and makes people (I certainly did when reading it), wonder. (Did she just learn how to ride a bike, is she crazy doesn't watch for holes/things that could puncture tires, etc.?) Made me wonder if you were just looking away then didn't have time to stop when you looked back, or are you riding with your head in the clouds?
Riding a bike, isn't different then driving a car in the fact you are in control of a moving object that can affect your well being and you need to be aware of what is around you, while maintaining control of it at all times.

thinkgreen
9-12-14, 1:21am
awakenedsoul, how are you feeling today?

I've been thinking about you and hoping your teeth are OK and that you feel better soon...
sending healing thoughts your way

Float On
9-12-14, 9:36am
I knocked my teeth loose by a kick from a horse once. I was trying to remember all the home remedies that my mom forced upon me. I do remember sitting with milk in my mouth a lot. I think mom thought the calcium would help. They did tighten back up but I was probably 12 at the time. Not sure that would work for me now at 47. She also had me brush my teeth and gums with salt.

awakenedsoul
9-12-14, 9:43am
awakenedsoul, how are you feeling today?

I've been thinking about you and hoping your teeth are OK and that you feel better soon...
sending healing thoughts your way

Hi thinkgreen, Thank you. I really appreciate it. Yesterday morning was rough. In bed, I felt like I was laying on a slow merry go round. It was difficult for me to balance to walk to the bathroom and I was hit by an overwhelming force of nausea. I took a cold shower on my knees and it helped me to not throw up. Slept till after 12:00 and then I did much better. Sitting upright and having food in my stomach helped. I'm going to go back to the ER for a recheck. I want to make sure there's nothing pooling at the brain. My eyes were very puffy and discolored. All of these signs concern me. I researched them. I was unconscious for about 10 mins. while waiting for the paramedics. I felt like I was slipping into that again yesterday a.m. It's different than sleep, like a euphoria, and since I live alone, I've got to be careful.

My mom has been in touch with me a lot, and if the doctor is on duty today, I'll see him. He was off yesterday. If I keep my head above my heart, I don't have those symptoms. So, I added pillows to the bed last night, and I feel much stronger.

ToomuchStuff, Your comment sounds very condescending to me. I've been riding a bike since I was three. I rode to school every day as a child, and all over town with friends. If we wanted to go somewhere, that was our mode of transportation. I got a motorcycle license at 15.

I always pay attention and watch carefully. I ride a beach cruiser, and it sits high, with a straight back. I just meant that I wasn't looking at the ground. with my head down. I was looking right in front of me. I saw the sign just before I hit it, but couldn't stop in time. I am certainly not crazy, and I don't appreciate you asking that. I have a concussion, and am not at my best right now. I have a perfect driving record. You may have a bike accident someday and realize it does not mean you are reckless or "have your head in the clouds." There was a woman who had a bike accident very close to where I had mine a few years ago. Some men beat her, robbed her, and left her there to die. I kept thinking about that. One of the bus drivers told me about it. I think that's who found her.

Oh, and thinkgreen, my front teeth are still numb. They are very tender. I brush around them, and clean them with Closys, Listerine, and ACT rinses. They're no longer bleeding, though.

awakenedsoul
9-12-14, 9:51am
I knocked my teeth loose by a kick from a horse once. I was trying to remember all the home remedies that my mom forced upon me. I do remember sitting with milk in my mouth a lot. I think mom thought the calcium would help. They did tighten back up but I was probably 12 at the time. Not sure that would work for me now at 47. She also had me brush my teeth and gums with salt.

Your mom sound sweet, Float On. I rinsed with warm salt water. I think mine are tightening up, too. My instinct is to not check if they are loose, or to brush them yet.

CathyA
9-12-14, 9:54am
Yep.....it's time to get a ct scan awakenedsoul. You don't want a slow bleed in your head. I didn't realize that you were unconscious. That's a different ballgame.
Also.......if nothing shows up on tests, and you are still dizzy........be checked for your "ear stones" having been jarred and are no longer in the right place. There are maneuvers that can be done to put them back in place. (The Epley maneuver).
Take care awakenedsoul........and see the doctor!

iris lilies
9-12-14, 9:58am
Wow, I'm glad you are taking your brain symptoms seriously. Yes, please DO have them checked out. Like Cathy, I didn't know that you had been unconscious.

gimmethesimplelife
9-12-14, 10:50am
I agree it is good that you are going back to the doctor AWS - unconscious adds a whole new issue to this. Definitely I'd get the CT scan, if only for peace of mind. Rob

ToomuchStuff
9-12-14, 12:14pm
ToomuchStuff, Your comment sounds very condescending to me. I've been riding a bike since I was three. I rode to school every day as a child, and all over town with friends. If we wanted to go somewhere, that was our mode of transportation. I got a motorcycle license at 15.

I always pay attention and watch carefully. I ride a beach cruiser, and it sits high, with a straight back. I just meant that I wasn't looking at the ground. with my head down. I was looking right in front of me. I saw the sign just before I hit it, but couldn't stop in time. I am certainly not crazy, and I don't appreciate you asking that. I have a concussion, and am not at my best right now. I have a perfect driving record. You may have a bike accident someday and realize it does not mean you are reckless or "have your head in the clouds." There was a woman who had a bike accident very close to where I had mine a few years ago. Some men beat her, robbed her, and left her there to die. I kept thinking about that. One of the bus drivers told me about it. I think that's who found her.

I understand why you read it as condesending. The way you wrote about the accident, certainly wasn't clear when you saw the sign in front of you. My post is meant as more of a devil's advocate style post, because if you do have to go to court, and the amount you have to go for (I fear) is more then you can in small claims court, expect a lawyer to sound the same or worse.
I know all to well about bike accidents (both kinds). I grew up with the story of my father being blind when a car hit him on his bicycle as a kid. His site did come back, but they weren't sure it would. I've had a motorcycle accident, on a "restored" motorcycle, that the owner failed to tell me, he only restored the engine, and had no brakes yet.

Float On
9-12-14, 12:50pm
I've had a motorcycle accident, on a "restored" motorcycle, that the owner failed to tell me, he only restored the engine, and had no brakes yet. Oh my gosh. That so reminds me of the time I went home to help my dad with mowing. We both took off on riding mowers and I was doing the front yard which is 2 acres. The house sits on top of a long hill. I headed down and he had forgotten to tell me that the brakes had gone out on that mower...that I needed to down shift and mow across, not down at an angle. I went flying down the hill, picking up speed, and thinking I was going to die by falling off the mower and having it run over me.

CathyA
9-12-14, 1:10pm
Whewww..........Glad you made it Float On!

Packy
9-12-14, 3:26pm
Oh my gosh. That so reminds me of the time I went home to help my dad with mowing. We both took off on riding mowers and I was doing the front yard which is 2 acres. The house sits on top of a long hill. I headed down and he had forgotten to tell me that the brakes had gone out on that mower...that I needed to down shift and mow across, not down at an angle. I went flying down the hill, picking up speed, and thinking I was going to die by falling off the mower and having it run over me. It is HAZARDOUS, living in the We Mow State! You have your riders that can tip over, you have your push mowers--just the other day, I had a rock kicked out at littlebittyme! And of course, there are the constantly falling 'Zurra trees, which are just enormous weeds. You must have not one, but several operable chain saws of different sizes, to deal with them. Chainsaws, can hurt you; so can trees being cut,that fall the wrong way.And, you have poison Ivy, Oak, and I believe it is "rue" that will make you itch like crazy for a week. I believe the schools should ALL be required to have a semester-long course in Mowing Safety, Equipment Maintenance & Techniques in dealing with vegetation that grows like crazy in heat and humidity. It's been 7 years, and we are about due for a middle-of-winter ice storm that will leave fallen Zurra Trees everywhere. Well, if you will excuse Me now, I must Go Mow.

awakenedsoul
9-12-14, 3:50pm
Hi Everyone,

Back from the doctor. Everything is A OK. He said that if I were vomiting and had headaches, he would be concerned, "but you look so good..." he smiled. They already had done an MRI on Tuesday. I didn't know that's what it was, since it was my first time. So, that's a relief. Better to be safe than sorry.

It sure has given me a new perspective on life. Thanks again to all!

catherine
9-12-14, 4:07pm
Glad to hear it!!

Davidwd
9-12-14, 4:15pm
Take care, glad you're ok!

Packy
9-12-14, 4:16pm
Hi Everyone,

Back from the doctor. Everything is A OK. He said that if I were vomiting and had headaches, he would be concerned, "but you look so good..." he smiled. They already had done an MRI on Tuesday. I didn't know that's what it was, since it was my first time. So, that's a relief. Better to be safe than sorry.

It sure has given me a new perspective on life. Thanks again to all! That is a good outcome, as they say! I was wondering, and just thought I'd ask--Do you wear a bicycle-riders' helmet? Besides offering some protection, a rider can mount a nifty Topeak-brand front-rear light on it. Being seen is also important.

gimmethesimplelife
9-12-14, 5:21pm
Really glad to hear that you went to the doctor and that things are ok! Phew! I bet that's a load off your shoulders, and that you can probably relax a bit now knowing this. Just glad to hear it.....Rob

herbgeek
9-12-14, 5:55pm
:cool:

CathyA
9-12-14, 7:16pm
Good to hear it........but do be concerned if anything gets worse. I hope your teeth are on the mend too!

awakenedsoul
9-12-14, 7:41pm
That is a good outcome, as they say! I was wondering, and just thought I'd ask--Do you wear a bicycle-riders' helmet? Besides offering some protection, a rider can mount a nifty Topeak-brand front-rear light on it. Being seen is also important.

Yes, I actually was wearing a brand new $50.00 helmet that I got at our local bike shop. The owner spent about 10 mins. fitting it exactly to my head. He was so sweet and conscientious about it. I'm going to have to tell him what happened and thank him. I'll look into the light. I don't plan to ride for a while. I had to resist the urge on the bus today to yell out the window at all the bicyclists, "Wear a helmet! See my face? This happened on a bike and I was wearing a helmet!" I showed my gashes to a bicyclist on the bus and she gave me a really dirty look and ignored me. I won't do that anymore. I guess I was acting like a reformed smoker or religious fanatic...

I have this feeling now that I'd like to go everywhere wearing a motorcycle helmet!

I just ordered a 2013 Fiat Hatchback from Enterprise. It's $11,956.00, and I'm getting $1,000. off because my brother gets an employee discount. It's a really nice car. I rented one the other day for an audition, and fell in love with it. Great mileage, and I love the style! I'm getting a 90,000 mile warranty, too.

Going car free did not end up saving me money. I will go back to car light. I've got some thank you notes to write. I've never been so happy to see people in my life as I was when that ambulance arrived.

Thanks again, Everybody!

Float On
9-12-14, 8:02pm
Oh I think you'll love that little Fiat. They seem more solid than the 2 kia cars that I have rented. Had a Soul a couple weeks ago while my car was in the shop and hated it...just felt cheap. The Optima or whatever it's called I couldn't see out of the passenger seat. Something about the airbag they had to lower the passenger seats, which makes me wonder.

You make a good point, kind of not fair that trying to save money you ended up spending more. Very glad the DR gave you a good report.

CathyA
9-12-14, 8:18pm
Maybe you should wear something like a football helmet, that has that bar across the front! .......and a mouthguard. :)

thinkgreen
9-13-14, 12:28am
Wow! I am so glad you got an OK from the Doc. It's also a great sign that your teeth seem to be stabilizing. However, I am very concerned about how dizzy and nauseated you were feeling. I am hoping that passes quickly or, if I were you, I think I might go visit my Mom for a few days. Just for some medicinal loving... Congrats on the new car too.

SteveinMN
9-13-14, 10:08am
It sounds like things are bouncing back slowly, awakenedsoul -- that's good news!

awakenedsoul
9-13-14, 11:47am
Float On, I think so, too. It's fun to get a car that is really your own personal taste and style. I thought the Fiat would be out of my price range, but with depreciation, I can afford a slightly used one. I actually feel relieved getting a car again. I gave going car free my all, but switching back to car light will give me more flexibility.

CathyA, Yeah, that's a great idea. That's how I feel. Even walking to the bus stop, it's like I want to protect my face and teeth...

awakenedsoul
9-13-14, 11:53am
Wow! I am so glad you got an OK from the Doc. It's also a great sign that your teeth seem to be stabilizing. However, I am very concerned about how dizzy and nauseated you were feeling. I am hoping that passes quickly or, if I were you, I think I might go visit my Mom for a few days. Just for some medicinal loving... Congrats on the new car too.

Thanks thinkgreen. I don't have the nausea and dizziness now. The doctor said that was from the concussion. My mom offered to come here, but it's hard for my parents to travel, at their age. I have two large dogs, and making the drive to visit them in this heat just felt like it was too much. (I haven't started driving yet. I'll wait till next week.)

SteveinMN, Yes, it's amazing what the body can do. I'm really pleased with how my body is healing. I'm lucky that I can rest and take it easy.

Tussiemussies
9-13-14, 9:47pm
Just checked this thread and don't see my post here. Just am so glad you are ok awakened soul. I could imagine that it was all scary at that time. Also glad you had great people helping you.....christine

Tradd
9-13-14, 10:19pm
AS, so glad to hear you're doing OK. And that you're getting a car. There are areas that just aren't good for biking. I repeatedly see people biking in the middle of the road in one stretch that has a 45 mph speed limit. There's an accessible bike trail right there, so I'm not sure why people are smack dab in the middle of the road. What makes this especially dangerous is there is a significant curve to the road, which has one lane each way. I've left skid marks on the road from slamming on my brakes to keep from hitting a cyclist in the road as I come around the curve going the speed limit. If there's a bike path, please use it!

awakenedsoul
9-13-14, 11:39pm
Thanks Tussiemussies and Tradd. Wish I had mentioned everyone on this thread individually, but I was kind of off for the first few days. All of your posts have really helped me. I've had some help from neighbors, which was great. Today one couple I've known for years saw me wheeling my shopping cart/bike trailer, with a 5 gallon water bottle to the bus stop. I was going to the water store for a refill. They took it for me in their truck, and brought it back. Saved me a trip. I was able to give them my second bottle, too. Now I have 10 gallons of drinking water. Concussions do something to your sense of thirst. I am drinking so much water and fluids! Another neighbor also offered to give me a ride if I need one. Vons delivers, so I ordered some groceries and they'll be here tomorrow. I got free delivery, since it's my first order. That way I don't have to go out in the sun. It's so hot here, and I don't want to get facial scars.

The car's coming from Nevada, so I should have it some time next week. We have a lot of bike lanes on the side of 45-50 mph roads here. I'll take the bus on those areas, or drive. The off road bike paths are best. There are no cars. I'm actually looking forward to driving again.

Tradd
9-14-14, 12:13am
AS, are you an Amazon Prime member? They have lots of grocery/household items you can order and have delivered within a couple of days. I am doing a huge stock up for winter on toilet paper, toiletries, canned and shelf-stable groceries. I ordered multi-packs of some items (toilet paper, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lotion, etc.) and got free Prime shipping. Other items you have to pay for a box, but it's a flat rate for as much as you can put in it (for single items that would be too cost-prohibitive to ship). The $100 a year for Prime also gets you streaming music and movies/TV, so it might be something for you to check out.

How much is the Vons grocery delivery normally? Glad the neighbors are helping.

Rogar
9-14-14, 7:26pm
Awakenedsoul, sorry to hear of your accident. When I was a college student many years ago I went over the handlebars of my bike and was knocked unconscious. I don't know how long I was out, but woke up as a young girl was pulling on my arm trying drag me off the street. I had student insurance and went to the student health center, where about all they did was shine a light into my eyes and told me to come back if I had dizziness or headaches. I suppose nowadays they'd want to do MRIs and all sort of stuff.

Glad you are recovering ok! Bicycling is such a fun thing I hope you will get over the accident and back on the bike. I typically will ride on the sidewalk if the road is busy and narrow, but there are hazards there, too. I hit a squirrel last week that jumped in front of me and was very glad I didn't wreck. I have looked up the statistics at one time or another and while I don't remember specifics, I'm convinced that cycling is safer than driving, plus there are some added health benefits.

Songbird
9-14-14, 7:33pm
Awakenedsoul, I'm so glad you are recovering. And happy for you that you will be getting another car. I think it will make it much easier and safer for you to get around. And it bothers me so much that no one stopped to help you - I just couldn't believe that! :(

awakenedsoul
9-14-14, 8:30pm
Tradd, Thanks for the info on Amazon Prime. I'll look into it. I think Vons usually charges $20.00 for home delivery. Businesses are charged a higher price. He told me that the longer the window for your delivery time that you pick, the less the delivery charge. A four hour window is the cheapest. The driver was really nice. My order was perfect. It really came in handy. I even splurged on some Breyer's vanilla gelato with caramel sauce. Delicious!

Rogar, Thanks for telling your story. Thank God you were okay. I'm sure this happens a lot. One time my little brother's front wheel came off when we were riding our bikes down a hill. (They had been "fixing" their bikes earlier.) He landed on his chin. (No helmets back then...) It was awful. I agree that bicycling is probably safer than driving. I just feel like I need to protect my injuries right now. I'm sure I'll bike again. But, my route to the gym is going to be different. (There's only one highway...no back streets.) I'll probably take two buses, even though it takes longer. I feel almost more vulnerable walking. I noticed that walking home from the bus stop after going for the recheck. It's just nice to have options.

Songbird, Thank you. Well, the paramedics, doctors, and my neighbors made up for it. My mom was really helpful, too. I think people figure that someone else will stop and call. It's a very low income area. I think most of them were driving to work. I was more afraid of the wrong person stopping.

Some of the glue they put on my gashes is already starting to come off. It's incredible how fast my chin and forehead are healing. The wild thing is, since this fall, my hip doesn't hurt at all! It's like it adjusted my back or pelvis somehow. It's amazing...

Teacher Terry
9-16-14, 12:53pm
So glad that you are starting to feel better. It sounds like car light will be perfect for you. Take Care>8).

awakenedsoul
9-18-14, 11:59pm
Teacher Terry, Thanks. I think so, too. With the price of cars, I feel better about buying one now, and keeping it a long time.
Oddball, Congratulations on being car free for so long. I liked it, but it kind of felt like a job. Especially in the 100 degree heat. I've been using the bike trailer as a shopping cart on the bus. It's made things much easier. It will be a relief to load up 40 lb. bags of dog food, 5 gallon jugs of water, and large items from Costco in the car, though. I can drive one day a week and combine errands.
I know what you mean about the nervous system. I really noticed that, with this injury, being a yoga teacher. I've been walking a lot, which helps to balance the systems. I'm also eating lots of fruits and vegetables. My appetite is good, and that seems to be speeding up my recovery. I saw a neighbor today and she commented on how fast my face has healed. I told her, "I know, I feel like I'm healing like a 20 yr. old!" "It's because you're so healthy, she answered. "Some 20 year olds don't heal that fast." (She has two sons in their 20's...)
I'll check out the books you mentioned. I've always studied healing, since I was young. I've worked as a healer, and I'm fascinated by the subject. My yoga students would always say, "I went to the doctor, and he told me the same thing you did." I just finished reading Defy Gravity by Carolyn Myss. It's really helped me to see my blocks and areas of weakness. The body is remarkable! I think I'll be able to go for my first swim since the accident tomorrow. I really miss it. Am doing a bit of yoga again, and I picked up my bike at the fire station today. I walked it home. Once my forehead has hardened up, I can wear my helmet. It's still too tender.
My parents are elderly, so I feel better about being able to drive to their house right away, if they need me. My brothers are not as available. They have long work hours.

Teacher Terry
9-19-14, 12:45pm
I think it is really important to be able to get to your parent's house quickly if they need you. We also keep our cars forever. Both our cars are 14 and we are in the process of replacing them with low mileage 2010 & 2012 models.

chrissieq
9-20-14, 10:36pm
Awakened Soul, Just read this whole thread - so glad you are healing.

I was in DC at the end of August for my son's wedding and the day after the wedding, I tripped on the sidewalk and broke my nose (thank goodness it was AFTER the wedding!). Luckily a cab was nearby to take me to George Washington University ER. I was amazed by how kind everyone was. I was also amazed by how horrible I looked!! The bruising around both eyes and from my nose to mouth started 2 days later - yuk! But less than a week later, the bruises were faded dramatically - I am convinced it is due to my good health.

Still have not seen any bills though a call to my insurer when I got home was a surprise when she said "You shouldn't see a bill. You've paid your deductible". Remains to be seen,heh?

Enjoy your new car and take care of yourself.

awakenedsoul
9-21-14, 10:10am
Teacher Terry, I agree. It's also time consuming to rent a car here. Am hoping the Fiat will last me for 20 years, if I just drive once a week.
chrissieq. Ouch! Sorry to hear about your nose. When did you pay your deductible? I've paid my premiums, but haven't gotten any totals on the ER yet. From what I understand, it was trauma, so I just pay the deductible, too.

My front teeth feel like they were numbed with novocane and it's slowly wearing off. It seems like they've firmed up in the roots. I'm so relieved. They felt really loose the day of the fall.