PDA

View Full Version : being talked down to - not pleasant

pinkytoe
3-22-11, 1:47pm
I have been helping out with "admin" work while our department seeks to fill a clerical vacancy. One of my "superiors" came to me and said I had made an error with her copies of which I have absolutely no memory of even doing. She shook her head at me like I was feeble and like this was the most horrible of things. I haven't felt so dumbfounded and or mad simultaneously in quite some time. Now I have a good idea how clerical staff must feel though I would never treat anyone that way. This is one of those situations where I needed a good retort but remained speechless. What could I have said? Do it yourself?

Yppej
3-22-11, 1:52pm
"How's the candidate search coming along? I'm sure you are as eager as I am to have this position filled."

mira
3-22-11, 2:41pm
^ haha! I wish I could think of timely witty retorts like that.

In reality, I think I probably would have just said, "I'm sorry about that, but it's not the end of the world, I can do them again." Something similar happened to me at work a few months ago and I responded in that sort of way. I had really started to feel sorry for my "superior" and her constant attitude problem. Don't let it get to you. She's the one who needs to reevaluate her attitude.

lhamo
3-22-11, 4:36pm
How about "Next time, make your own damn copies."

lhamo

redfox
3-22-11, 6:55pm
Word, Ihamo. Pinkytoe, it's her trip, and though being disrespected can sting, I hope you can shed it, because anyone who treats people that way needs a time out in the corner with a copy of the Golden Rule.

I'm home from work early because a colleague came into work with the virus someone else brought in last week. I do not want it, and as a part-timer can come or go. Why o why do people with great sick leave and the ability to work from home bring their damn viruses into our very small, 5 person office?

puglogic
3-22-11, 10:46pm
because anyone who treats people that way needs a time out in the corner with a copy of the Golden Rule.

Anyone who treats people like that needs to have her backside tanned with the Golden Rule, imho. Sorry you had to go through that, pinky.