PDA

View Full Version : I got my Thanksgiving train ticket!

Zoe Girl
10-1-14, 10:22pm
After a potential glitch I got it worked out that I am going to Iowa for thanksgiving! I go every other year on the train to see all my family. My tradition is to go on the years that the kids have Thanksgiving with dad and he is going out of town! However my girls have SO's to have Thanksgiving with and my youngest will go with his oldest sister. He prefers that to going to Iowa away from his friends.So that glitch is covered.

My grandma is in her 90's and my cousin in her 40's has Down Syndrome so those are people I especially want to see in person. I can take the train overnight and save my energy by not driving (and the older car gets a break). If you have never taken the train and have some time I recommend it. It is a soothing way to travel.

Valley
10-1-14, 11:11pm
Sounds like a great plan...good for you for working everything out. If I'm not being too personal, could you tell me how much it will cost for your train ticket?

Zoe Girl
10-1-14, 11:42pm
Not too personal at all, round trip $209. I am sure I would spend less in gas however my car has about 225,000 miles on it and I enjoy being able to sleep overnight on the train. MUCH bigger seats than an airplane. And first thing in the morning I can get my bagel and tea and sit in the upper deck area to watch the sunrise as we go towards it.

My daughter moved to California a few years ago and did it all on the train. She took 5 super large suitcases that had her basic dishes, clothes, essentials, packed inside and it totally worked.

Songbird
10-2-14, 3:07am
I have always enjoyed traveling by train. It is very relaxing and you really get to see the scenery - that was the most enjoyable part for me.

Zoe Girl, sounds like it will be a nice trip and visit with your family. Enjoy.

Zoe Girl
10-2-14, 8:35am
Just calculated the gas money and I could easily spend that on gas, so total win

Gardenarian
10-2-14, 11:28am
It sounds like a lovely trip, and that's great that it all worked out with your kids, too. I would love to take a long train trip, but every time I check the prices it is just so expensive! I think you got a really good deal.

IshbelRobertson
10-2-14, 11:35am
I travel by train regularly between Edinburgh and London, about five hours. I always book a first class seat in the 'quiet' carriage, where all phones are (supposed to be) turned off! You can use them, but in the regular carriages. The scenery is wonderful, very few children (I suspect the fares are off-putting) and you get complimentary tea and coffee. I also treat myself to either dinner or lunch, silver service and wonderful venison or roast beef or grouse. BLISS!

Enjoy your trip!

awakenedsoul
10-2-14, 3:27pm
I LOVE traveling by train. I would do it more often, but Amtrak doesn't allow dogs. I went all over Europe with a Eurail pass and loved it! Your trip sounds fantastic! I love that your daughter was able to move by train, too. Wow!

chrissieq
10-4-14, 10:25pm
We have traveled between Chicago and DC several times over the past few years to visit DS. Love it!! The last time we got a sleeper car which spoiled me big time - a nice hot shower in the morning - couldn't be beat. We do take the megabus between Mpls and Chicago because train service between Mpls and Chicago is super expensive (nearly as much as Chicago to DC) and is always late as it travels through the oil fields of North Dakota.

We flew to DC for his wedding in August and appreciated how quick it was (and for not that much more money) but not as restful. We usually choose to travel by train when we need to decompress from life's craziness.

Enjoy your trip!!