PDA

View Full Version : Consumers Having No Way To Talk To The Decision Makers

heydude
3-22-11, 8:38pm
I just read the post about how someone closed their credit card account through an automated phone system and how they were disappointed they were unable to tell a live human that they were leaving the credit card company.

But, even if they could talk to an hourly employee (who hopefully is in the same country as they), that person is just a lowly worker, who probably has no influence what-so-ever over credit card terms and conditions.

I receive many complaints at my job and they are over things that I have no control over. If I even knew who set that policy (which I do not) I would not be able to talk to them even if I tried, much less influence them.

If you sent a letter to the CEO, you think they would ever get it? I imagine it would be an hourly employee paid to send out standard letters back to you.

With corporations merging and becoming bigger and bigger, is there any way for the public to directly talk to the decision makers?

I think there is not. And, I think that is sad.

All we can do is yell at, or hopefully complain nicely to someone who has no control what-so-ever and certainly does not deserve to be yelled at, etc.

redfox
3-22-11, 9:07pm
And stop buying their crap. Get yr stuff at Goodwill. In the case of wanting new undies, well, ok. But really... food coops, credit unions for finance,thrift & second hand stores for clothing & housewares, craigslist for everything else...

gimmethesimplelife
3-22-11, 11:37pm
And stop buying their crap. Get yr stuff at Goodwill. In the case of wanting new undies, well, ok. But really... food coops, credit unions for finance,thrift & second hand stores for clothing & housewares, craigslist for everything else...Yes indeed! I am with two credit unions, and buy almost everything secondhand (exceptions being socks, underwear, work uniforms, and sheets, and perhaps one or two other things I can't think of off the top of my head). Co-ops is not really an option where I am in Phoenix, but how I would love it to be! I love the co-op on 4th Avenue in downtown Tucson.....Rob
'

redfox
3-23-11, 7:47am
Rob, every coop was once started by a handful of folks. I bet there are people in Phoenix who are thinking about it... and the coops in Tucson may know who they are! BTW, I just bought a beautiful set of cotton knit sheets at Goodwill, for $10. I washed them in hot & dried them on high. They don't smell, and are nice and soft.

jp1
3-23-11, 10:59am
A friend of mine may not get all the way up the ladder but has gotten far enough by using the following when asking to speak to a supervisor and being turned down: "Everyone has a supervisor, except God. Unless you're god you have one too. Let me speak to them."

Zoe Girl
3-25-11, 12:24am
Oh this is a huge issue and I work at a retailer on my weekends. There is NOOO way for even me to get to someone in a decision making capacity, even my supervisor would have a hard time. It really is terrible, I know they probably got swamped with a lot of crap but they also had a real number of people who wanted something different that was possible. even just requesting a special item to be carried by the store is unlikely to get anywhere right now with how I see it. grrrr,

heydude
3-25-11, 2:14am
Zoe Girl, Isn't it true!
In my opinion, it is actually EASIER for someone that does NOT WORK for us who is on the OUTSIDE, to try to get in touch with someone higher up! They think we have a red batphone or something. Ummm NOPE!

Zoe Girl
3-26-11, 8:59am
It is frustrating especially when our older guests need some type of exception. They will tell us that they ran retail stores so they KNOW that the manager can do something to help them. I have to tell them no, they had that power and respect and responsibility when they were working but no longer. Now it is much easier to change a policy or procedure when there is even a small error rather than hire and train better people. Very very frustrating. I am trying right now to get access to an override number for when I cover shifts for my friend with cancer. I usually do not do her job but I have in the past and the override number is really essential to things like out of state licenses for alcohol purchases. So we have to do it a way that is not the best and I use another persons number rather than finding any way in the last month to get my own so I am reponsible for my own actions. Grrr,