PDA

View Full Version : Success at Improving Posture

heydude
3-22-11, 11:03pm
I am working on my posture. Anyone had any success in doing it?

I find it is a long term change. The back of my neck is a bit sore but I think it is because those muscle are not used to carrying my neck. My front muscles seem to always be carrying it. I did read that for every inch you hold your neck/head outward incorrectly, it adds like 10 lbs more to your head on your body.

winterberry
3-22-11, 11:33pm
I haven't tried very hard, but when I do, what works for me is to try to "touch the ceiling" with the top of my head. I walk a lot at work, and sometimes I remember to try to make myself "taller" when I walk. It feels good, and I immediately have more bounce in my step.

pony mom
3-22-11, 11:35pm
Check out Feldenkrais. There are Awareness Through Movement classes and there are websites with exercises you can do at home. They aren't even really exercises--just simple movements that make huge changes to your body. I took ATM several years ago and after each class I would have to readjust my rearview mirror because I was sitting so much taller. Also, my neck felt incredibly long and I thought people would stare at me because I looked like a giraffe! I had the best posture of my life when I took those classes and it was effortless. Eventually your body will go back to where it was, which is why weekly classes that address different parts of your body are essential but it's well worth it.

bae
3-22-11, 11:36pm
I found improving core strength and flexibility a big help. I used simple kettlebell routines.

chrisgermany
3-23-11, 9:16am
Weight training on machines seems to help me.

Madsen
3-23-11, 10:25am
Kettlebells are sweet, also yoga is amazing!

treehugger
3-23-11, 11:50am
I found improving core strength and flexibility a big help.

I strongly agree that improving core strength and flexibility seems to "automatically" improve posture, without having to work on improving posture specifically.

I do this with Pilates (work-subsidized classes, plus exercise videos through Netflix). Pilates focuses on your whole core (hip and shoulder girdles, back, sides, abs), which makes every day activities (gardening, sports, walking, lifting, whatever else you do) easier and more efficient (and less painful).

Kara

babr
3-23-11, 2:35pm
i am really big in posture; correct body alignment; i never realized that i wore my shoulders around my ears and that because of the M.S. my brain thought upright meant leaning way back; its propeoperception or something like that; anyway i also work hard on strengthening my abdominals;tucking in my tummy while walking around the house is more challenging;

my husbands body has been so messed up; he spent years locking his knees to the point that he looked almost bowed;

it is very hard to keep this up but when i look at my dad who is hunched over it gives me more motivation

heydude
3-25-11, 9:53am
I've been keeping my abs in and my chin in (neck up like on a string from the ceiling) for the last week but now the middle of my back (although more towards the top) is hurting!!!!!!

treehugger
3-25-11, 12:03pm
I've been keeping my abs in and my chin in (neck up like on a string from the ceiling) for the last week but now the middle of my back (although more towards the top) is hurting!!!!!!

Yep, that's why you need to add core strengthening exercises to your routine. The stronger your muscles, the less you have to consciously hold various body parts in the "proper" alignment.

catherine
3-26-11, 9:13am
Yes, yoga is GREAT for that. Also, simple awareness, just trying to be more present in your body at all times and then just straightening up. My gym/dance teachers used to tell us to imagine we have a string attached to the center of our bellies going out through the tops of our heads and we are suspended by it, so if you try to keep that imagery in your mind that helps.

Attitude even helps. If you see people slumped over all the time, I think it's body language--either they're unhappy, or uncomfortable. If you feel confident and proactive and open, it usually shows in your posture.

heydude
3-29-11, 3:46pm
How are you supposed to do things like "read" or "writing a letter" while keeping good posture.

Mainly, how are you supposed to "look down" properly with good posture? Keep your chin and head back but gently turn it downward?