PDA

View Full Version : Napping!

Greg44
3-22-11, 11:08pm
Obviously I can't nap at work, but when I am at home - I fight the sensation of wanting to take a nap in the afternoon. If I could just take a short nap that would be great, but often if I do lay down -- I am out like a light -- deep sleep. Then I am useless for the rest of the day.

Sunday afternoons - after church - 3 1/2 hour nap is my normal.

Are there any nappers out there - can you just power nap for a short time or do you
nap as long as needed?

How do you get going again? :help:

winterberry
3-22-11, 11:20pm
Well, I took a nap today, which was unusual. If I nap during the day I do it on the sofa and then I wake up sooner. I feel much revived after a nap, and more energetic than before. But I usually have my afternoon cup of coffee right after my nap, so I suppose that's why. I know you don't drink coffee, Greg, so maybe a cold shower? ;)

Have you had a sleep study? Are you tired during the day because you aren't sleeping well at night? It can be a vicious cycle -- maybe you don't sleep well at night because you are sleeping too much during the day....

loosechickens
3-22-11, 11:23pm
we got in the habit of napping when we lived for several years in a small fishing village on the southern Pacific coast of Mexico. In that village, everybody ate lunch about 1 p.m., then everything in town shut down, all inhabitants retired to their hammocks, shops closed, even the dogs napped and the chickens roosted in low tree limbs.....about 4 p.m. everybody woke up and life went on.

to this day, we'll be traveling in the motorhome, and shortly after lunch, we'll spy a nice pulloff (hopefully next to a nice tree), and we'll park and do our naps.....

we usually sleep about an hour, but it's a rare day when we don't take naps.....if we're out and about in the car, we'll find a nice place to park, put the seat backs in a reclining position, and snooze away for awhile........

how much sleep do you get at night? when you nap are you "napping" or making up for quite a sleep deficit over the week?

our problem isn't "getting going again", it's how to function UNLESS we stop what we're doing and take a nap.......

bae
3-22-11, 11:25pm
Greg - I second the idea of a sleep study. I was having the same issue, turned out it was due to severe sleep apnea. Now that that's been addressed, the nap need has mostly gone away. Also, the sleep doctor told me I should try to keep "regular" naps down to ~45 minutes or less, and not get into deep sleep, or I'd mess up my sleep cycle, and from experiments, I suspect he is correct.

Zoe Girl
3-22-11, 11:27pm
I miss naps, I liked myprevious position where I worked 3 hours in teh morning and 4 in the afternoon. At least once a week I took a real nap, ahhh.

I have the afternoon slump problem, sometimes I just cannot function unless I really rest.

Greg44
3-22-11, 11:33pm
When I am at work, I do not get sleepy in the afternoon.

But at home - I do get tired. Probably because I am going like crazy trying to get "my list" done while the sun is shining. Sleep issues. Well sort of - bursitis issues in my shoulders. Normally around 3 or 4 a.m. I migrate to the couch (we have a great soft couch) and then I fall back to sleep.

Tradd
3-23-11, 12:01am
I always have to set my alarm when I take a nap. Period. Otherwise I'll sleep for hours. Always been this way.

KayLR
3-23-11, 12:53am
Love, love, love naps. Most weekends I will take one...at least for 1/2 hr. I'll use my alarm clock or just tell someone to wake me up in 1/2 hr or so. (And boy, they'd better be quiet!)

If I've had a rough week and not slept well, I will allow myself a longer one.

Wildflower
3-23-11, 4:14am
I take a short nap everyday on the couch, usually about 20 minutes late afternoon. I always feel much better afterwards and then have energy to tackle the rest of the day.

goldensmom
3-23-11, 6:31am
Like Greg44, when I nap it's a deep sleep. Whether 10 minutes or an hour, it's a deep sleep, I'm useless for a time after and usually have a headache. The unusual thing is that I can nap when camping, must be the outdoor air. I envy people who can take a 10-20 minute refresher nap and wake up all rejuvenated.

redfox
3-23-11, 7:42am
I am a power napper, and my DH is one who goes down hard & cannot wake up afterwards. I think this is just how different people sleep. I love afternoon naps.

And I am up in the middle of the night - again - it's happening often. I too have sleep apnea, and am on XPAP treatment, but I still often will wake 4 hours into the night, and I always get up so I don't disturb my DH. He'll be up in an hour, then I'll go back to sleep...

Stella
3-23-11, 8:47am
I am a hardcore napper. I have had a 2PM energy lull as long as I can remember. I plan naps into my day now. When the toddler goes down for his afternoon nap and the middle kid is gone to Kindergarten I take a nap while my oldest kid takes her long hot bath. Usually DH comes home about then and naps with me. It's the perfect solution for everyone. DH, James and I get sleep, Cheyenne gets her rest and Bella, who sleeps in late most mornings, is occupied.

Kat
3-23-11, 9:01am
I nap all the time. But I am also pregnant! ;-) Even before, though, I did try to make time for napping. I don't think our society puts enough emphasis on quiet time and rest. It's all go go go busy busy busy. But if you are feeling unusually fatigued or sluggish all the time, it might be worth it to see your doctor.

Alan
3-23-11, 9:53am
I'm not a napper. It's all or nothing for me.
My wife, on the other hand, is an excellent 10 minute napper. She awakens refreshed and energetic.

If I try that, I awaken grouchy and exhausted. I envy those who can do it.

herbgeek
3-23-11, 10:15am
When I don't have time for a real nap, or can't afford to be groggy at all after taking one, I will instead do a yoga move of "legs up the wall". Basically you're lying on your back with your legs up the wall. I use a strap above the knees so that I can totally relax and not have to make an effort to keep the legs up there together. An eye pillow is a nice touch if you have one. Ten minutes of this and I'm good to go.

Mrs-M
3-23-11, 1:39pm
I rarely nap but when I do I need it. Sometimes I'm groggy when I get up and need a while to come-too, other times I'm sharp as a pin. 99% of the time I feel much better for it afterwards. When my kids were little I used to either place them under the covers with me and have a short nap (on the bed), or wrap a nice warm comfy blanket around myself and them and while cuddling, have a quick nap on the couch. I miss those days.

Stella
3-23-11, 4:02pm
I had the nicest nap with my sick 7 year-old today. Baby brother went to bed, little sister went to school and Cheyenne and I slept two solid hours in my nice quiet room. DH came home halfway through and took the baby monitor so we weren't woken up when baby brother woke. It was heaven!

Glo
3-23-11, 5:51pm
When I worked, I'd nap 40 minutes during lunch. Since I retired, I never nap due to sleep issues during the night. I'm lucky to get 4 hours of sleep at night.