PDA

View Full Version : An odd experience

rodeosweetheart
10-27-14, 11:04pm
I had an odd experience the other day. I was driving with my husband and talking about a show I saw when I was in North Carolina last month on vacation (we don't have cable.) It was called Long Island medium, maybe you have seen it. Anyway, I was explaining how she would get these messages and give them to the living, from the dead, and how they were very detailed. I said it was neat and made me feel encouraged, to think that our loved ones are there watching out for us.

So I started talking about my dad and his end stage of life issues, how unhappy he is, and said I hoped there was indeed life after death. I said that I was kind of mad at my uncle, who had loved my dad and taken wonderful care of him all throughout their childhood, and had died in WWII, and the whole family kind of fell apart. No one was ever the same. I said, "Why can't he come and help my dad, tell him they are going to be together, comfort him, so that he is not afraid of dying." I said that if it was on the Long Island medium, she would get some message from him, so very detailed ,message that no one else would know. I gave an example of some lady who died and was still laughing and complaining about an unflattering picture taken at a barbecue. I said it was that level of detail that she would know, and all the people were in tears when they heard the details from their loved ones, things no one else would have known.

So I said, "If she met my dad, and my uncle were there, she would give him some really detailed message, something no one else knew. I said it would probably be like this--,my granddad and uncle and dad used to sing "The Road the Mandalay" when they were kids growing up. I said if my uncle were there, on the other side, to tell us that it was really true, and really him, he'd mention "The Road to Mandalay." And then we'd know.

So that was at about 6 pm, driving home. Two hours later, we turned on the movie I had ordered from Netflix. It was called Salvation, and it had Pierce Brosnan and Greg Kinnear--it was a comedy, but kind of a religious parable, and it kind of was about salvation, with the one very flawed character asking the other if he was going to 'heaven, and the Greg Kinnear character forgiving him, and saying, "of course you are"- you'd have to see it, it was subtle.

But this was the thing. At 8:00, we turned the movie on. And it started with a tiger moving across the scene, and it was the company logo, and it was called "Mandalay Productions."

What do y'all think?

iris lily
10-27-14, 11:16pm
That is cool. Tell you father this story, perhaps he'll find comfort in it.

Saturday night I attended a fundraiser where there were mediums. The one who read tarot for me said "I see you being very very focused on one goal" and I told her that she was right, that it's my main MO right now and that it was the only time I've had a medium tell me something remotely true that wasn't generic.

The rest of our chat was about generic stuff.

rodeosweetheart
10-28-14, 12:01am
That is cool. Tell you father this story, perhaps he'll find comfort in it.

Saturday night I attended a fundraiser where there were mediums. The one who read tarot for me said "I see you being very very focused on one goal" and I told her that she was right, that it's my main MO right now and that it was the only time I've had a medium tell me something remotely true that wasn't generic.

The rest of our chat was about generic stuff.

Maybe he would find comfort in it. That would be good.

How interesting that the medium picked up your focus on the one goal.

It almost seems when they talk about generic things, they are kind of tuning in, like on a radio station. And I don't think it's that they are waiting to hear how you respond--_ I think they are tuning in and get fuzzy stuff at first, then something clear comes through, like when you are manually tuning a radio.

awakenedsoul
10-28-14, 10:38am
I have experiences like this all the time. I think it's very encouraging and uplifting. There are a lot of books on this subject. James Van Praagh is detailed and accurate. I went and saw him when he was in Temecula. I believe it's a talent, like music or art. Sonia Choquette is a NY Times best selling author who has written about her experiences. Diary of a Psychic is one of her best. I love her books.

Ann Miller is another. She wrote a couple of books when she was in Sedona. One of them was Miller on Tap. She talks about feeling Judy Garland's spirit when she was working on Sugar Babies with Mickey Rooney. There's a lot of this stuff that happens in show business. The people are bigger than life, and you can feel their energy and presence. Performers are real open to the other realms. It helps with acting. Shirley MacLaine said she channeled her character in the film Madame Souzatzka. It was an amazing performance...

iris lily
10-28-14, 10:56am
...It almost seems when they talk about generic things, they are kind of tuning in, like on a radio station. And I don't think it's that they are waiting to hear how you respond--_ I think they are tuning in and get fuzzy stuff at first, then something clear comes through, like when you are manually tuning a radio.

That's an interesting way to put it, the radio analogy. I like this a lot. I'm a skeptic and I still think that they are reading me to know which way to go, but I suppose that one could call it "tuning in" to get the right signal.

When she mentioned my narrow focus I told her "yep, I'm going to retire soon and that is my focus, I think about it 20 times a day."

It seems to me that she flung out a lot of generic things such as

* "I see recognition in your future, some kind of honor"-- well, doh, there is usually a retirement party-thingie for those ending their work career
* "I see you completing a big project" -- yes most retirees have a section of work to complete before they go although for me it is actually One Big Project, so in that she is correct
* "Upon retirement your finances will change" and here she started to say "will be tight" but then read me to see that is NOT a worry and she backtracked to say that money would be fine
* "About April I see you helping people a lot" and by then I was tired of the session and just agreed. But as everyone around me knows, my volunteer efforts will not involve helping people. That's my stated goal: no helping people, dammit! :) I'm continuing on with doing work with plant societies, dog rescue, and neighborhood activities which involve an element of "helping people" but really these are not focused on social services or human relations.

JaneV2.0
10-28-14, 12:53pm
I think some people have a better developed ability to tune in to the "collective consciousness" than others. But I'm skeptical of mediums who do so for financial gain--at the very least, they're doing some cold reading to fill in the blanks in their reception. Or it's all cold reading.

I recently read an article in which a scientist was interviewed about the nature of consciousness; he hypothesizes that it exists outside the body and theoretically is available to everyone. That would explain "idiot savants" and artists who insist they are just channeling their muse. His concept is purely hypothetical at this point.

My personal experience leads me to believe that there is more to life than that which we can see and touch and measure, so I would have been open to the idea of Mandalay Productions being a reassuring sign. Others might believe otherwise--to that extent, we shape our own reality.

catherine
10-28-14, 1:49pm
I waver between "coincidence" being a confirmation bias vs. being true synchronicity. It depends upon the specific experience. Here's an interesting blog post by a skeptic--as in someone who writes for Skeptic--published in Scientific American.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/anomalous-events-that-can-shake-one-s-skepticism-to-the-core/

I think this is very similar to the Mandalay experience.

On a personal note and somewhat related, I truly believe my second son and I are "connected" telepathically, based on experiences we've had in the past. I think he's the more gifted "seer" of the two of us, but some strange things have happened that keep me open to the unseen.