PDA

View Full Version : The "Gift-Giving Season"

Gardenarian
11-1-14, 4:12pm
I just received an email (from a vendor site) informing me that "The Gift-Giving Season is Here!"

Not the "season of giving", which could at least be construed to mean giving love, charity, hope or other non-material things.
Gift-Giving Season. The time to buy crap no one needs.

I guess they were trying to be non-denominational, but they sure ended up offending ME!
I suppose it has the benefit of at least being honest, though I don't like to believe that this is what the holidays mean to most people.

ApatheticNoMore
11-1-14, 4:17pm
It occurred to me that people probably give far more generously to strangers they don't even know on Halloween, than they do in the "Gift Giving Season" (though charities do get donations). Sure on Halloween they only give candy of no nutritional value :). But that notwithstanding, it's the thought that counts :~).

iris lilies
11-1-14, 4:45pm
It's crisp weather here, and I was driving around in the Italian section of town today and passed the restaurant knife store. So it hit me: My friend needs a nice knife or two, we need a couple of sharp knives, and voila! I completed my holiday shopping. DH is getting knives for Xmas.

It's wasn't cheap, but it is freaking DONE!!!

mtnlaurel
11-2-14, 8:07am
It's crisp weather here, and I was driving around in the Italian section of town today and passed the restaurant knife store. So it hit me: My friend needs a nice knife or two, we need a couple of sharp knives, and voila! I completed my holiday shopping. DH is getting knives for Xmas.

Make sure to give a penny with your knife so the recipient can give you the penny back to 'pay you' to scare off any bad luck.

I didn't realize how prevalent the whole Bad Luck to Give Knives thing was until I registered for them when I got married.
Someone gave me a knife with a penny.
I tell you what though - I have love, love, loved my knives. They are very cherished and appreciated.
My marriage has also withstood them getting put in the dishwasher on occassion... time does heal all wounds.

catherine
11-2-14, 8:53am
Make sure to give a penny with your knife so the recipient can give you the penny back to 'pay you' to scare off any bad luck.

I didn't realize how prevalent the whole Bad Luck to Give Knives thing was until I registered for them when I got married.
I tell you what though - I have love, love, loved my knives. They are very cherished and appreciated.
My marriage has also withstood them getting put in the dishwasher on occassion... time does heal all wounds.

I agree--good knives are a great gift!! And I know about the penny thing from my MIL, I think. If Ishbel's around, maybe she can confirm if this is a British thing.

ToomuchStuff
11-2-14, 10:50am
I don't read it as non denominational, but purely truthful. (we are here to sell you (censored), and take your money) Don't get upset, use it as a motivation to unsubscribe. I have an email address, JUST for signup junk, that I don't have to read (nothing else goes there), nor do I have to give it out (only use it for places I frequently check, or buy from). Keeps it separate from work, etc.

What knives did you get? I was recently shocked at how cheap some good knives could be (both Bae and I have more expensive sharpening systems though, so I could get by with horid knives after I was done), when I found out if I can handle commercial type of handles, rather then what is sold for home.
I have to turn in a couple of receipts yet, but then will only have two nieces and my dad to get for. (out of 9 people)

iris lily
11-2-14, 11:05am

Thanks for the penny tip! and I'm glad that your marriage didn't explode over the dishwasher fiasco, haha.