PDA

View Full Version : Help me plan my trip to the Western US

Yossarian
11-3-14, 11:22am
I think I will end up a few miles short on my status miles on Delta this year so I am likely going to take a trip at the end of December to get over the hurdle. While I would love to go to Europe or Latin America again the best returns (miles per dollar) are to go out West. So I was thinking of Seattle or Napa Valley. The only requirement is a relatively cheap direct flight between Atlanta and the destination. Any other good West Coast destinations between Christmas and New Years?

Spartana
11-3-14, 2:14pm
Well Seattle gets rainy and is fairly cold and dank that time of year - also it gets dark earlier then a more southern part of the west coast. So I would opt for the Napa/Sonoma Wine Country and Bay area. Probably easy direct or non-stop flight to San Fran, can pick up a rental car and be over the GG Bridge within a half hour and in beautiful Marin County. Or head north-east to Napa. That area of the country (Marin/Sonoma/ Napa counties are stunning and there is a lot of variety close by. I go there often and usually will stay in the Petaluma or Santa Rosa area for easy accesses to different places - all within about a 25 to 50 mile drive or less. There are redwood groves and nice forest areas close by (Armstrong State Park, Muir Woods, Mt. Tamalpias), the Russian River, coastal areas like Bodega Bay and Pt Reyes and the Golden Gate Nat Rec area. And the Napa Valley and Sonoma Wine Country and San Fran. Going a bit further there are tons of other interesting places too - Monterey and Santa Cruz, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Mendocino and more redwoods . It can get very cool and rainy there too but not anywhere near as much as Seattle or points north.

Some other nice places in Calif are along the central coast - San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, Hearst Castle, Solvang and Santa Ynez and that wine country, Santa Barbara. Much warmer, sunnier and drier too but probably no direct flights except to LAX. San Diego area is also a great area to visit in winter and will have direct flights.

SteveinMN
11-3-14, 2:40pm
Bay area is a great choice. Vancouver would be nice, too, except for that gets-dark-early thing (or maybe that's no issue for you); I don't know if Canada is considered an "international" destination from Delta's standpoint.

KayLR
11-3-14, 2:51pm
I guess it would depend on what kind of experience you want to have, what you want to do/see, what kind of climate you like, what kind of scenery you like to be around. In addition to what others have said, if you like snow you might consider a stay at Mt. Hood's Timberline Lodge. Then spend some time in Portland...always good for some weirdness.

bae
11-3-14, 4:38pm
Victoria, BC
Vancouver, BC

pinkytoe
11-3-14, 9:38pm
We recently took a cheap flight into Seatttle from Austin, then Amtrak to Vancouver, ferry to Victoria and lots of sightseeing in between. Managed to do it all easily without a rental car. I would do that trip again without hesitation. It did however rain half the time but we loved it.

cdttmm
11-4-14, 6:54am
Between Christmas and New Year's? I'd fly to Vancouver, drive the 2 hours to Whistler, and enjoy some snowboarding! Okay, so it doesn't fit your requirement for a direct flight (you'd have to stop in SLC), but if you love skiing and/or riding, Whistler Blackcomb is some of the best, IMO.

Spartana
11-4-14, 12:03pm
Of course there's Hawaii too! Probably cheap direct flights from Atlanta to Hono. In any case, where ever you go, you'll probably find things will be very expensive that time of year as well as possibly unavailable. So if you are trying to do it to save money on future flights you may be better off going at another time after the holidays. But if you are going because that's when you are off work and/or free to go, then expect to pay the big bucks for everything from flights to motels or campgrounds (camping at National and State Parks is HUGE over the holidays in warmer places - heck even in cold snowy places) and car rentals.

Gardenarian
11-4-14, 3:26pm
I second everything Spartana said! Wine country is glorious, the CA coast is amazing, and Hawaii is an experience everyone should have sometime.

Teacher Terry
11-4-14, 3:52pm
I totally agree with Spartana & Gardenarian:D.

Yossarian
11-4-14, 10:14pm
Of course there's Hawaii too!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. SFO is showing $350 and HI is $1000+. I'm leaning toward wine country. Anyone have any recommendations? Is there any place you can stay that allows you to tour the wineries without having to drive yourself?

Teacher Terry
11-5-14, 6:46pm
We have never done it in the states but did this in Italy. I would use a company that takes people on wine tours & does all the driving. I would google it & see what you find out.