PDA

View Full Version : Casual urban cyclist

Tiam
11-4-14, 1:18am
I like to cycle to work. For fitness and economy. But I'm not a cyclist in the feverish definition. I don't invest in special gear or clothes. I ride an old Schwinn upright Tourist model with a basket on the front. It doesn't go fast or power hard. It's a bike. I use it as an alternative, not as a passion or hobby. But I'd like to talk to other folks who are rabid cyclist, but rather low key urban cycle commuters like myself. A quick web search seems to find me a lot intense, professional, costly, fashionista communities. Is there an ONLINE community that just kind of approaches this topic gently?

I mean....I'm not this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3nMnr8ZirI

ctg492
11-4-14, 5:37am
try www.bikeforums.net yes lot of hardcore bikers there, but lots of useful into and the commuting board is there. I have not visited in a long time, but found it ok.
I Love to ride my bike, I am not a cyclist I am a bike rider. I will bike to the store in the cold rain, I will ride 20 miles to get fresh apples, I just love to ride. I won't ride far in driving rain or high winds, that is my threshold. I ride thousands of miles a year(excluding last year, but back on two wheels again). I actually smirk inside when the racers whip by me and think I wonder what they would think if I told them I was on a 50 mile ride smiling away enjoying the day. I don't wa-wa-work, but if I did I would commute by two wheels. I am back on my winter goal of riding every single day in the MI winter, no matter wind, snow, sleet or sun even if just down the street because it is so nasty out. I do have some biker specific items that I have learned I need. Tools, tire repair, Rain gear, I always carry mace and now an air horn to scare dogs so I hopefully would not need to mace. I also have winter studded tires.
Your bike sounds perfect for you and you smile all the way to work I bet:)

Spartana
11-4-14, 12:10pm
Can I be both! Or really 4 because I like mountain biking - A LOT - as well as bike touring a bit too even though I have recently tried doing it with the dog in tow and ...well...um... lets just say it was an adventure :-)!

No websites I know of except long distance bike touring ones so can't help you there. But a lot of bike riders/cyclists who do big group rides, centuries, etc... on weekends (or are mountain bikers) often commute by bike or do the urban cyclist thing during the weekday so they may be one and the same people and just have multiple bikes for each type of riding.

Gardenarian
11-4-14, 3:24pm
Hi Tiam - I see you're in Southern Oregon - have you checked out Siskiyou Velo (http://www.siskiyouvelo.org/)?
I'll be moving to Ashland soon and am also a casual cyclist (I have a Schwinn too.)

Packy
11-4-14, 4:16pm
This town has several f'book groups such as "Bicycle Friendly Springfield", that are of interest to the commuter cyclist. It's not about racing or biking gear or long-distance touring, etc. Mainly about news events and the kind of riding issues local, in-town riders encounter, and members contribute. It is moderated--people are nice, even mee. My suggestion is: take a look at it for awhile, then see if there is one like it in your area, and if not--start a facebook group. That said, it may not deal specifically with your case, but it will be a resource for other resources. See?

Packy
11-4-14, 4:26pm
Baskets on the front are not the best. I would suggest a rear rack, and compartmented bag(s). Front baskets seem to alter your steering response, especially when loaded, and you don't want that. Plus, they obstruct your vision of the road surface. Also, check tire pressure on every new day that you ride--they lose considerable pressure in a weeks' time, and you'll get pinch flats. Another thing to have is--the best tires. As fat as you can get on your rims and in the frame. Even on a cheap bike. There is so much hazardous debris in the streets--broken glass, metal fragments, sharp rocks. Don't need no flats. One other thing: avoid storing your bike outside, at all costs. They are not waterproof.

ctg492
11-4-14, 6:34pm
The basket on front tip is a good one. A few years ago I had this great idea to turn one of my bikes into a over the top cargo bike. I bought the largest basket I could find. Loaded it up and then the grocery panniers on back. I had such a hard time stabilizing the bike, Oh boy was I glad to get home that day. Lesson learned and now that basket hold all my assorted bike parts, tools, chain lube and cleaners.

Sloeginfizz
4-7-15, 1:43am
It's not necessarily true that front baskets are not the best. It's true that you can't just stick a porteur rack on any old bike, load it down with 30lbs and expect to get good results. It all depends on the front end geometry of the bike, angle of the fork and the offset. There are many traditional cargo bikes designed for and that are more stable with a front load. But that gets into a lot of long, boring discussion about low trail geometry, weight distribution, etc.

Not so much of an on-line community, but I found the early days of the blog 'Lovely Bicycle' to be a valuable resource for the urban bike commuter. Later she really got into things I wasn't interested in like club riding and randoneuring. But the early stuff is great.

Tiam
4-7-15, 1:58am
Baskets on the front are not the best. I would suggest a rear rack, and compartmented bag(s). Front baskets seem to alter your steering response, especially when loaded, and you don't want that. Plus, they obstruct your vision of the road surface. Also, check tire pressure on every new day that you ride--they lose considerable pressure in a weeks' time, and you'll get pinch flats. Another thing to have is--the best tires. As fat as you can get on your rims and in the frame. Even on a cheap bike. There is so much hazardous debris in the streets--broken glass, metal fragments, sharp rocks. Don't need no flats. One other thing: avoid storing your bike outside, at all costs. They are not waterproof.

I agree the basket can alter balance and steering. I do ride with a pack also. I like the basket because it basically pops on and takes no installation. And you are right about pressure. If I've been slack in riding, I need to go get air. (don't have a bike pump here) I don't know what you man by "fat" on the tires.

pcooley
4-7-15, 8:51am
I don't know of a good online community. Long ago, I used to be part of the Carfree group on Yahoo, but I haven't dropped in there in years. I would recommend Ken Kifer's Bike Pages (http://www.phred.org/~alex/kenkifer/www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/) for fun general information.

Packy
4-7-15, 11:25am
I agree the basket can alter balance and steering. I do ride with a pack also. I like the basket because it basically pops on and takes no installation. And you are right about pressure. If I've been slack in riding, I need to go get air. (don't have a bike pump here) I don't know what you man by "fat" on the tires.Yeah, okay, some clarification: What I was referring to is tire cross-section. The two specifications for tire size is rim diameter, and tire cross-section. The rim size, you're stuck with; but for around town, what with potholes, curbs, debris in the road and cracks in the pavement, wider tires are better and thus, more accepted. Road bikes generally have narrow(small cross-section)tires, for speed. But, I think that the "Schwinn Tourist" that is sold at Target and other fine department stores, is equipped with 700c(wheel dia)-28(tire width)tires. That may work well enough, for the time being. until one of them goes bad with a cut that isn't repairable. Then, you might go up with a pair of 32 or bigger, and spend the $75-80 a pair for the good Kevlar ones that are way less vulnerable to flats. Be sure they have enough clearance to fit, before you buy. Different brands vary; one mfrs' nominal size tire may differ from another companies' in actual size. Can't go wrong with Schwalbe Marathon plus or Continental Gatorskins. See?I contended with having flats & punctures on nearly-new tires, until I bought the "expensive" ones. Rarely get flats, now. Hope that helps you some.