PDA

View Full Version : H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama

happystuff
11-9-14, 9:52am
I have not been around for a while, but think of this forum often. I posted a good while back about my studying of Buddhism, which has been going well. This past week I was blessed to have been able to attend the Dalai Lama's teaching in NYC!!! Very nice and live changing event! Never thought I would be able to attend on of His full teachings, but everything fell into place and... well, it all came together.

Just thought I would share here as I had initially posted my journey in these forums.

Hope everyone is well!

Zoe Girl
11-9-14, 11:02am
yeah! happy for you, I attended one of hi$ event$, amazing hovv he fill$ up the place? doe$ that make $en$e

catherine
11-9-14, 11:37am
My son really scored September 2005 when he got me tickets to see both the Dalai Lama AND Barack Obama live. PLUS that year I saw Paul McCartney in concert (I'd never seen any Beatle perform live and I've always been a huge, huge fan). Yes, Fall of 2005--a very good year.

My son was 28 at the time.. and had connections with the group that brought the Dalai Lama in and was going to be seeing him in a much more intimate setting prior to the event. He assumed His Holiness would be wearing sandals (funny, the stereotypes we have, even unconsciously). So he wore a suit out of respect, but also wore sandals. His friends were asking him, "why are you wearing sandals, man?" and he said, "Because the Dalai Lama is going to be wearing them."

Then when the Dalai Lama actually arrived, he was wearing regular shoes, and all of a sudden, my son felt a little embarrassed in his sandals. :|(

happystuff: Great to hear from you! So glad you're doing well and your practice is as well.

ETA: happystuff, I hope you don't think I'm trivializing an experience with the Dalai Lama by bringing a politician and a rock star into the mix. I, too, have been strongly influenced, in a life changing way, by Buddhism--in my case, the Zen Buddhism of Thich Nhat Hanh (actually, his calligraphy is my avatar). So please don't think I was simply lumping those three into one meaningless celebrity pool.

happystuff
11-10-14, 5:22pm
Thanks for the replies. And not at all, catherine. Loved hearing about your great year! Congrats!

Gardenarian
11-11-14, 6:25pm
Happystuff - I'd love to hear more about what you learned from the Dalai Lama.

Packy
11-13-14, 12:28am
Some people have a need for something Larger Than Themselves to believe in, and along with that, a need for designated official Superstars or Figureheads who have a cult of personality. They apparently are "hardwired" for it, for lack of a better word. I know of, but am not friends with, several individuals who have a very high level of enthusiasm about Stadium Sports, Concerts in large arenas, Fundamentalist religion, & partisan politics. All, or any combination of at least 3, thereof. Demagogues, speaking at huge rallies, turn them on. Old, veteran Rock/Country music stars trip their trigger. At the same time, they seem to have a very narrow focus, limited range or depth. If you question their views, they get indignant. Okay, it's their decision, their lifestyle, their choice. They make their way in life, very successfully, by being a follower. But, as an advocate of voluntary simplicity, I still have some unease about this condition. I'm not going to endorse the act of anyone paying $100, more or less, for a ticket, and standing in line to see some singing billionaire who is 45+ years past his creative prime in a stadium with 1000's of people. Not going to pay $$$ and drive and park and all the other logistical hassles, to spend 3 hours watching giant-sized people--all strangers-- move a little-bitty ball around--with 1000's of other spectators, with their $5 cup of beer or hot dog. Not going to a Political Rally or a Religionist Revival, for the opportunity to shake my Idol's hand, either. Those people are only human, and fortunately, I don't need to get caught up in fanatical worship of them. Years ago, I happened to be downtown, and happened upon a political rally. The candidate had a movie actress, who is originally from here, give a rousing speech on her behalf. It was very moving, to hear this performance by a gifted thespian. I was impressed by it, and I suppose I could have even gotten her autograph. But guess what? Further research revealed that the candidate had an agenda that did not serve the interests of the general public in this area, at all. No way, would I vote for her, neither did a vast majority,and she lost by a landslide. That said, I am very grateful I have no need for what I call Arena Pop Culture. Your results may vary. Hope that helps you some.

Gardenarian
11-14-14, 12:02pm
Packy - and some of us just enjoy spending time with a person who has great wisdom and joy. No idolatry; just another chance to grow and learn.

Doesn't have to be the Dalai Lama or the pope - my neighbor and friend, whom I sorely miss, was the wisest person I ever met.

catherine
11-14-14, 12:30pm
I'm not going to endorse the act of anyone paying $100, more or less, for a ticket, and standing in line to see some singing billionaire who is 45+ years past his creative prime in a stadium with 1000's of people.

Hey, Packy, you wouldn't be referencing me going to see Paul McCartney at Wachovia Center, Philadelphia, September 23, 2005, would you?

Come on, sometimes we do things that are just plain fun. No idolatry. I left my I LUV PAUL badge at home. And I did drive all the way to Southhampton NY to see Thich Nhat Hanh, and I still say that was worth it. I also went to Brooklyn Academy of Music in a raging blizzard in 1974 to see Ian Richardson in a Royal Shakespeare Company production of Richard II and that was worth it, too.

Experiences to see people who are masters at their craft aren't necessarily idolatry. They're just fun experiences.

Packy
11-14-14, 4:19pm
Indignant--see, what did I say? Y'know what? One day a couple years ago, I was at an annual event that draws around 10,000 people. The Founding Father of the event was present at a booth at one point. Other people were lined up, to have their photo taken with him. I glanced over and there he was, live and in person. Sure, he's a great guy. But, I didn't feel the need to go and bother him. . He did write a book that I might buy, sometime. Maybe. Fifteen years ago, I drove clear across town--5 miles--to see a Shakespeare play--free or very cheap admission--, and by the first intermission I was sound asleep. I had to go home. I also see that Paul McGeezer is now charging close to $200 to hear him try and sing. Jeepers! Not my idea of fun, at all. Too much of a hassle for nothing. I've GOT old Beatle records at home, already. See? You kids are locked into the 60's, or else your college days. Which reminds me, there is a local boy at the shop, age 57, long-haired, artsy-fartsy stoner, who is ecstatic at hearing the very latest 2014 "Pink Floyd" album. I listened to it briefly, and it is very trite and cliche'd and "mellow". Elevator Music for Hippies. Actually "Stale" would be a better description. My code name for my co-worker is "Woodstock", because he's frozen in a time trip, like a wooly mammoth. Hope that helps you some.

rosarugosa
11-14-14, 8:43pm
Hey Packy, What music do you like?

Packy
11-14-14, 10:52pm
Hey-Rug--Lots of it. Hope that answers your quession. Thankk mee. I can tell you that most of what I like is scorned by The Cool People AKA Stoners, and also Nostalgia Buffs. It is too "commercial" for them, which is a curious term because is also describes contemporary, (or at least not outdated) recorded music that has very talented singers and musicians at the height of their career, very well-thought-out arrangements of the instruments and a very catchy melody and harmony. It isn't highbrow opera, and it sure is not just sheer noise & discord & crude racket, either. Somewhere in between. See? I think a lot of people actually pretend to like certain music that has peripheral appeal , simply because their peer group accepts it, and the majority of people outside their tribe, DON'T like it. It's their "birds of a feather flock together" signature music. At the shop, there are two 30-something guys that work together, and all day, every day--it's the same thing--they have a cd player, and it's "Slipknot" and "Five Finger Death Punch" and maybe one or two other head-banging racketmakers, over and over and over and over. For years, now. The kind of bands parodied in the movie "This Is Spinal Tap". Hope that helps you some.

rosarugosa
11-15-14, 6:23am
I think that says more about what you don't like than what you do like.

Packy
11-16-14, 12:11am
Okay, Okay,Okay, Rug. You convinced me. Next time the Dolly Lamma is in town, I will go meet him & get his autograph. Maybe wash his feet. Next time McGeezer is in town to sing The Long And Winding Road for prolly what is the zillionth time, I will take out a title loan on my car so I can buy a ticket for a front-row seat. Hope that makes you happy. Thankk Mee.

domestic goddess
11-16-14, 3:11pm
Different strokes for different folks. If you have already decided that you aren't going to get anything out of going to an event featuring one you consider a "celebrity" speaker or artist, you are probably right and should just save the money. Others do find that they get inspired or re-inspired by hearing or seeing someone who has an ability to connect with an audience. Who is to say who is right, or to belittle those who have chosen a different path? I have some slight regrets that I never saw the Beatles live, but since that is no longer possible now, I have to live with that.

iris lilies
11-16-14, 4:40pm
Different strokes for different folks. If you have already decided that you aren't going to get anything out of going to an event featuring one you consider a "celebrity" speaker or artist, you are probably right and should just save the money. Others do find that they get inspired or re-inspired by hearing or seeing someone who has an ability to connect with an audience. Who is to say who is right, or to belittle those who have chosen a different path? I have some slight regrets that I never saw the Beatles live, but since that is no longer possible now, I have to live with that.

hey there domestic goddess! long time no see, how have things been?

Packy
11-16-14, 4:49pm
Oh, goody! Iris Lilies is here to tell us allllll about the time she paid----what was it--$1000?--to meet that little feller, one of that 60's sing n' strum duo--not Fargunkle--the other one. Oh yeah--Saul, of Artie & Saul.

Packy
11-16-14, 5:00pm
Different strokes for different folks. . Yes, yes--"Everyday People." I really like hearing that one, once in awhile. But not everyday, several times a day, day after day, week after week, month after month, to the exclusion of all else, erstwhile complaining: "They just don't make good music like THAT, anymore!!" and paying a couple hundred and standing in line for a seat waaaay, waaay waaay, back in some auditorium with 1000's of people. Last I heard, "Sly" Stone was living in a travel trailer, parked in front of some buddys' house & broke. Mainly due to his excesses. See? Hope that helps you kids some.

domestic goddess
11-16-14, 5:04pm
Oh, thank you, Packy; it has been a LONG time since anyone called me a "kid". I'm old enough that "different strokes for different folks" was a phrase in use before the song. So on, and so on and scooby dooby do...

iris lilies
11-16-14, 5:08pm
Oh, goody! Iris Lilies is here to tell us allllll about the time she paid----what was it--$1000?--to meet that little feller, one of that 60's sing n' strum duo--not Fargunkle--the other one. Oh yeah--Saul, of Artie & Saul.
Sadly, that money went to a Democratic fundraiser. It went to Mel Carnahan. I didn't mind Mel Carnahan (now deceased) and I rather like the Carnahan clan, one of major political families in my state, but it's hard to admit that the single biggest campaign contribution I ever made was to a Democrat.:(

domestic goddess
11-16-14, 5:08pm
Hi, Iris Lily. Good to "see" you! I've just been busy, what with the little one and all. Boy, I'd forgotten how a baby (now a toddler) can really take it out of you!! Sometimes I get on the computer with all sorts of intentions, and fall asleep with my face planted in the keyboard. One of the challenges of getting older, I guess. At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! Everyone else is fine; I could brag about my granddaughters for hours. I'm kind of tedious that way. How are your bulldogs and your garden?

iris lilies
11-16-14, 5:10pm
Hi, Iris Lily. Good to "see" you! I've just been busy, what with the little one and all. Boy, I'd forgotten how a baby (now a toddler) can really take it out of you!! Sometimes I get on the computer with all sorts of intentions, and fall asleep with my face planted in the keyboard. One of the challenges of getting older, I guess. At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! Everyone else is fine; I could brag about my granddaughters for hours. I'm kind of tedious that way. How are your bulldogs and your garden?

Our current bulldog is the love of my life, he's an idiot, an idiot savant! He is both the smartest and the stupidest dog ever! haha.

Glad your little granddaughters are keeping you busy. It's a good kind of busy.

Packy
11-16-14, 5:28pm
Oh, thank you, Packy; it has been a LONG time since anyone called me a "kid". I'm old enough that "different strokes for different folks" was a phrase in use before the song. So on, and so on and scooby dooby do...No, I'm sorry--but it wasn't. It wasn't in use until oh, 1969, and that record. Hope that clears up the confusion.

domestic goddess
11-16-14, 5:47pm
Thank you. I stand corrected.

Packy
11-16-14, 5:53pm
Sadly, that money went to a Democratic fundraiser. It went to Mel Carnahan. I didn't mind Mel Carnahan (now deceased) and I rather like the Carnahan clan, one of major political families in my state, but it's hard to admit that the single biggest campaign contribution I ever made was to a Democrat.:(Yes, yes--for a patron of Partisan Politics, that misdeed was especially sinful! For penance, you must A) vote absentee ballot, straight-ticket 'Pellican; B) donate $10,000 to various 'Pellican candidates--ones endorsed by Rush Limbaugh--, and C) instead of a junket to London, Edinburgh, Glasgow, you must attend the next 'Pellican Presidential Convention. Only by this can you atone for your sin.

Soulhiker
11-26-14, 8:53am
Thanks happy stuff - I'm sure it has been a truly inspiring and amazing experience! I would be extremely happy if I ever have the opportunity to follow his teaching live but at the same time I think that the message can still be had through books, videos and audio books. The difference would be being in the presence of a truly charismatic and inspiring figure :)