PDA

View Full Version : Thich Nhat Hanh

catherine
11-13-14, 3:36pm
Some of you may have heard that the reknowned Zen Master, Thich Nhat Hanh, had a brain hemorrhage during a stay in a hospital in France. He is 88 years old, so rumors were flying yesterday that he is dying, but those close to him say that he is "OK." So his many devotees and fans are in watchful waiting and sending our love to him.

As I mentioned just a few days ago to happystuff, Thich Nhat Hanh has had a life-changing effect on how I see the world and how I choose to live it. My avatar is his calligraphy. "This is it" sums up for me the awareness that the present moment is the only real moment, and it is a true miracle. Mindfulness can bring our awareness to this miracle. To me, this is what simple living is all about.

Whatever happens, I am grateful, as always, for his wonderful life of service to peace, and for the opportunity to learn from it.

nswef
11-13-14, 10:11pm
His book Fear changed my attitude toward much of life. It's a long process to let go and be IN the moment. I keep working on it. Thanks Catherine for the news.

Xmac
11-14-14, 6:16am
Thich Not Harmed
:)

Soulhiker
11-26-14, 8:46am
I didn't know actually and thanks for sharing this Catherine. I hope he can have a few more years to share other pearls of wisdom with the rest of us although I suspect that in his awakened mindful state - he doesn't have any attachments to his life plans. Moreover, he gave quite a lot already so his mission was a long one.

I fully agree with you that simple living has a lot to do with going through your day to day life more consciously and mindfully of our consumption and how we are interconnected with our environment at large. It's also, I believe, being more mindful of how our thoughts, words and actions affects us and others around us.