PDA

View Full Version : Ways to Stop Cat from Peeing on Bath Mat?

ejchase
3-24-11, 6:17pm
My SO and I, his cats, his teenagers, and I all moved in together a month ago. So far, everybody seems to be adjusting okay with the possible exception of one of his cats who has taken to repeatedly peeing on our downstairs bath mat.

My SO said this happened at his last place, so he finally just took the bath mat out of one of his bathrooms, but I'm not thrilled with that solution. I'd really like us to have a bathmat in our downstairs bathroom.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

Rosemary
3-24-11, 6:24pm
It can be difficult to impossible to get that odor out of textiles or carpet. I suggest you remove the bathmat, re-introduce the cat to a sparkling clean litter box, and buy a new bathmat once the litter box habit is back in place.

MudPuppy
3-24-11, 7:24pm
Our cat has occasionally peed on the bath mat in various places we have lived. My solution has been to hang the bath mat over the side of the tub when not in use -- he won't pee on the floor, only on the mat.

sweetana3
3-24-11, 7:44pm
There are some fights not worth fighting. Get rid of the mat, use a towel or hang whatever you choose over the edge of the tub. It is a habit and could be hard, if not impossible, to break. Your SO solved it quickly and easily so do the same.

I suspect that a man and his kids may not have kept the cat pan sparkling clean and it only takes one time or one unhappy or sick cat to start a bad habit. (I have had dozens of cats in 35 years.)

ps: please dont be the new girlfriend who throws out the cat because of some problem. I have a neighbor gal who did just that and he now lives in our backyard.

rose
3-24-11, 8:06pm
Sometimes they pee outside the litter box due to bladder infections. They associate the discomfort with the litter box

pony mom
3-24-11, 9:03pm
I agree with the last post---bladder or urinary tract infections may cause a cat to pee someplace soft or cold. Is this cat a male or female? In male cats, UTI's can be very serious and possibly life threatening. Are the cats fed mostly dry food? Cats don't consume enough water to fully hydrate themselves, which can cause UTIs--switching to a high-quality canned food will help.

However, there are some cats who will continue to do this. After ruling out any health problems, trying different types of cat litter and food, it may be a behavioral thing. Maybe the cat doesn't want to share a litterbox with another cat---put another box in another location. Depending on how open-minded you are, an animal communicator (NOT a 'pet psychic') may be able to find out from your cat exactly why he/she is doing this.

Sad Eyed Lady
3-24-11, 10:01pm
Agreeing with what rose and pony mom said, cats are usually very good at using their litter boxes, but exceptions can be caused by illness (bladder or UTI infections most likely), or stress. This cat is probably stressed at the move and a new person all at once. Remove the bath mat - as long as he smells that he will associate it as his place to go, and give him a nice clean litter box with some privacy if possible. Be patient with him, this is all new to him too!

Suzanne
3-25-11, 12:21pm
I'd hang the bath mat over the edge of the tub, or over the shower rail, after use! The cat is used to living without a bath mat on the floor.

domestic goddess
3-25-11, 2:22pm
I agree with other posters. After making sure that there is nothing physically wrong with the cat, I'd take the mat off the floor. If the cat should pee on the bathroom floor, then keep the door closed. If not, then you are home free, if he goes back to using the box.

Zzz
3-25-11, 2:32pm
Another vote for a vet check!

larknm
3-28-11, 10:33am
Newly living together is probably taking some adjustment for the cat and for you. This peeing in places other than litter box is ery common for cats after a move. And likewise for people to adjust to who makes the rules in the newly joined living space is dicey. This sounds like a good place for you to compromise. Keeping a bathmat on a tub side or shower rod could be a good beginning of learning to compromise. The cat may be carrying the stress you all inevitably feel about shifting old patterns without fee;omg your identities are threatened.

ejchase
3-28-11, 2:07pm
Thanks, All, for your very helpful comments!