PDA

View Full Version : Lipstick from long-ago

sumarie
3-26-11, 5:17pm
When I was a pre-teen (and I'm 63 now, so this is awhile back), I remember there used to be a "lipstick" that we used which was a bit like Chap Stick and it may have been clear in color, but when applied it made lips look "natural" - a sort of rosy pink color. It wasn't "real" lipstick, as I recall, but something that seemed a bit magical because of this color transformation. Do any of you remember this -- what it was called, if it still exists, etc.?

Thanks!

JaneV2.0
3-26-11, 6:26pm
http://www.tangee.com/

sumarie
3-26-11, 7:07pm
Wow! That was amazingly quick, Jane -- thanks!
Sumarie

Glo
4-3-11, 2:03am
sumarie: I'm you age and forgot about tangee! Thanks for this website; I think I'm going to buy some (kind of expensive, though!).

Sad Eyed Lady
4-3-11, 10:17am
Yes, I remember this too. Does anyone else remember the white lipstick from the 60's? I think for awhile there I had white lipstick and some white creamy eye shadow or something like that. Opposite of goth? hummmmm.........Oh, yes and white nail polish. Although I still would wear the white nail polish if I ever used nail polish even today.

Mrs-M
4-3-11, 12:08pm
What a fun thread! I'm too young to remember it but I want some now after reading and hearing about all your stories! :)

domestic goddess
4-3-11, 3:11pm
Oh, yes. I get a catalog from The Vermont Country Store that has many of those "hippy" era make-up items, and I think they have Tangee, but no white lipstick. I remember using that and thinking how great I looked! No white eyeshadow, though. I was so pale in those days, that white eyeshadow would have gone unnoticed. The catalog also has "Evening in Paris" cologne! Oh my goodness, I hate to think about how I used that stuff, and much of it was new! I don't think there are any pictures of me in any of it, thank goodness!

Jemima
4-5-11, 2:45pm
Thanks, Jane. Love that catalog. I MUST have a purple mu-mu and some Bonomo's vanilla Turkish Taffy!

Glo
4-9-11, 5:05am
I used to wear white lipstick; we used to think that was so cool. And the white eyeshadow was used under the brow and eyelids had blue or green eyeshadow. Did that white lipstick make our teeth look yellow? Remember how Mary Quant make up was the rage? (Do I have that name right?)

leslieann
4-9-11, 8:49am
Funny how your memory allows you to forget things like white lipstick. Yep, I wore white lipstick, too, and blue creamy eyeshadow over and under my eyes, and tons and tons of mascara. And wrapped my wavy hair on orange juice cans to try to straighten it so I could look like those hippie girls. I am pretty happy that THOSE times have passed, and that I don't seem to care what is cool anymore anyway. That's a blessing of being A Woman of a Certain Age.

Sad Eyed Lady
4-9-11, 9:20am
I used to wear white lipstick; we used to think that was so cool. And the white eyeshadow was used under the brow and eyelids had blue or green eyeshadow. Did that white lipstick make our teeth look yellow? Remember how Mary Quant make up was the rage? (Do I have that name right?)

Yes, Glo you are right. The white eyeshadow stuff was creamy and went under the brow and places to highlight. I don't think I even added the colored eyeshadow - just the stark white.

HappyHiker
4-20-11, 9:11pm
Ah yes, being A Woman of a Certain Age has its rewards! Yes, I used to set my hair on orange juice cans, too, and sit endless hours under a portable hairdryer with an inflatable hood. At night, I'd set my hair on toilet paper rolls as they could smash down and not keep me awake as the OJ cans did.

What was truly uncomfortable were the shoes of the day--and I have the bunions to prove it. Did anyone else cram their square, or in my case, duck web-shaped feet into those cruel pointy toed creations so much in style in those days? Spike heels and needle toes did a number on my poor feet..now I love my comfy shoes and have worn no heels except of the slightest height only twice in the last year...

Why do we women do those things willingly to ourselves? Victims of fashion for sure. Free at last!

Brian
4-20-11, 10:18pm
Just happens I am watching the Victorian Farm TV show on link provided in another post and in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYWybIhqN24&feature=related at very end of episode link 13 ish min + and then to next Ep3 part 2 first 4 mins she makes hand cream then rose coloured lip balm.