PDA

View Full Version : Somebody Needs to Write...

Catwoman
3-26-11, 5:34pm
An updated and new Tightwad Gazette sort of book. As a young mom, I REALLY used and relied on tips and ideas from the Tightwad Gazette. Now that my children are on their own and becoming parents, I see the need for similar but updated to include technological advances and current info. Somebody on this board should totally be qualified...

Rosemary
3-26-11, 5:45pm
Maybe there could be a forum-wide book, profits to continue running the boards.

Catwoman
3-26-11, 5:52pm
Awesome idea!! I'm in! Super Organizer person please help!

earthshepherd
3-26-11, 9:01pm
What a great idea! Wow! All my mental wheels are turning...

Mrs-M
3-26-11, 10:06pm
I'd really be interested in working on and helping out with something like this!

TMC
3-27-11, 6:36pm
I thought about this a few years ago myself and I wrote to Amy Dacyczyn to see what she thought. She wrote me back, a real letter mind you, and told me that she felt that with the Internet people weren't really interested in a book like this anymore. She went on to say that she thinks she was so successful because there was a need than to get the ideas into people's hands and the Internet wasn't around to do that. She makes a good point but I know I love those books and keep them for reference.

I'd certainly be in. I always wanted to write a book like that, how cool it would be to do it.

Catwoman
3-27-11, 7:06pm
Its so cool that she wrote you back! Maybe its my age, but I still would love a book like that...and one to give to my children, sort of our collaborated wisdom...

Rosemary
3-27-11, 8:17pm
I can see Amy D's point, but with the rash of books that have been published from blogs, I don't know that I agree with her. Publishing seems to be reasonably healthy - including books in the areas of frugality and self-sufficiency.

However, if I were going to work on a project such as this, I would move away from her newsletter format toward brief articles, so that similar topics would be grouped together in one place.

Mrs-M
3-27-11, 9:55pm
What I love about a book update/rewrite, is no matter how an information guide related to tight-wadding is written (like the old was written), it will always be an old-fashioned bible to any/all homemakers, frugality and simplicity practitioners, and thrift conscious people. (Will always be old-fashioned yet never go out of style).

Stella
3-27-11, 10:01pm
I love this idea! I'd be glad to help out with that too. I agree with Rosemary, I think there would be interest in a book like that. The one thing I think would help would be photos. A lot of the blogs that have spawned book are pretty photo heavy.

Mrs-M
3-27-11, 10:40pm
Yes, photos, my weakness Stella!

Merski
3-28-11, 8:03am
I love this idea and believe we all have ideas to contribute. What would be great would be to include YMOYL principles and also it sounds like Dave Ramsey's debt stuff because all 3 of these things would create an even bigger "whole" than Amy's book which I love. Do you know when she was written up in the Parade Magazine, I freaked and thought to myself "Here's a kindred spirit and I want to learn everything she can teach me." I got almost the entire set of newsletters, which I eventually sold at a yardsale becaise the book is much easier to use.

terrica
3-28-11, 12:47pm
When I search for something on the internet, I am looking for a specific nugget of advice. What I have always loved about The Tightwad Gazette is that the information was in no particular order. I picked up advise on subjects I had never really thought about before. The articles were so well written that I read them even if they didn’t relate to my life at all. I even read the articles on clothe diapers even thought I don’t have kids and don’t plan on having them in the future.

TMC
3-28-11, 12:51pm
It was so cool that she answered me. I do think that her first book was organized by seasons, I also read everything in her books even if it didn't pertain to me, the thing about it for me was that it sort of set my wheels in motion about ways to branch out and save.

When I was a young sahm I read her books religiously for ideas and motivation. It was the motivation factor that made her books so good.

Mrs-M
3-28-11, 1:15pm
What I particularly like about the idea of a group like us re-writting such a bible, is the incredible richness of experience and expertise that we could bring to the table. If executed well, the new version (our version) would far exceed the old by tenfold.

TMC
3-29-11, 8:26am
So is there anyone among us who has the foggiest idea where to start?

Rosemary
3-29-11, 9:23am
We need to start with an outline, which can create the structure of the chapters. People can volunteer for their topics of interest, and then we can circulate the drafts among the group for additional ideas and then 2-3 rounds of editing.

So, to start the outline, list your ideas for topics to be covered in this thread, and we can compile them.

If this gets going we'll probably need an email mailing list to corral all the messages.

Catwoman
3-29-11, 10:15pm
I have some wierd but nonetheless, useful areas of knowledge: simple, frugal funerals,
also, - budget stretching ideas for teachers, how to look like you spent a bundle on your outfit but shopped consignment,
and there's more...

Gardenarian
3-30-11, 12:23am
Hi - I think this would be a fun project to work on whether it gets published or not!
I would be interested in writing about simple ways to make your home more attractive and comfortable. I'm could also write about gardening, although my experience is limited to California.
As a librarian, I'd love to write about all the ways you can use your library to simplify your life.

Do you think creating a google doc would be the way to go with this?

Rosemary
3-31-11, 3:28pm
A Google document is a great idea. I actually have a format from a similar project that I can modify. I'll try to get to that in the next week or so. IN the meantime - send me a message here on the site (click on my user name, then find the "Send Private Message" link) with the email you'd like to use for this project so that I can give you access to the google doc.

Fawn
3-31-11, 4:14pm
I would like to be involved. Areas of interest:
raising children
what you REALLY need to have/buy for your new baby
frugal cooking
frugal entertainment

Rosemary
4-13-11, 2:22pm
Anyone else interested in participating in this?

Miss Minimalist
4-13-11, 2:39pm
I'd be happy to provide guidance on self-publishing (if that's what you want to do) when the time comes. :)

Mrs-M
5-13-12, 12:59pm
Bump! This was such a great thread I wanted to resurrect it again. Maybe we can look at doing something (as a group) with the idea this fall/winter... P.S. With a good solid four months to think about it, having the summer to ponder just may be the answer we all need to get the ball rolling on it come fall!

danna
5-13-12, 1:57pm
I missed this post the first time up; I would love to help....
Been there and did most of it at one time or other...

Mrs-M
5-13-12, 2:36pm
That's great, Danna! My biggest stumbling block will be reading and writing. If I can get past those two things, I should be able to add a touch of my own flavour to the SL Version!

Molly
5-14-12, 9:59am
Count me in too!

However, I'm not sure how a group can collaborate on this, as frugality means different things to different people. Just check out the varying opinions on the threads.

Mrs-M
5-23-12, 6:35pm
That's great, Molly!

While your concern may be, how would we all collaborate on this, my concern is, how do we begin? Under what format? To put it all together? Maybe we can hit, Alan, up for a little advice when the time comes.

artist
5-23-12, 6:37pm
Maybe there could be a forum-wide book, profits to continue running the boards.

OOOHHH... I love that idea!

artist
5-23-12, 6:50pm
Anyone else interested in participating in this?

Count me in. I've been contemplating writing a SL book myself and this would far exceed what I could possibly do on my own.

catherine
5-23-12, 6:57pm
Let's do it! I think it would be a really great collaborative venture.

Mrs-M
5-25-12, 1:40pm
Alan. (Do hope you come across this thread).

Any thoughts on how we all might incorporate all of our writings/info/experience into one big pot of soup?

Merski
5-25-12, 3:44pm
This sounds very exciting! I'd love to submit some ideas.

leslieann
5-25-12, 3:48pm
Thanks for the bump, Mrs. M. I also missed this thread first time around. My mother subscribed to Amy's newsletter for me and for my sister. Then I bought the books when they were available (and decluttered the collected newsletters). Have since decluttered the books but just recently shipped a copy of the combined volumes to my DD via amazon.

I think we could have a great book, self published of course, and made available to kindle readers as well as those of us who like to hold the paper in our hands. I probably am not great on ideas but I can edit text. Is the google doc idea still alive?

Mrs-M
5-26-12, 11:34am
Awesome, Merski!

Oh, wow... now I'm extra-happy that I resurrected this thread, Leslieann! So happy you found it and even happier to know you are willing to help-out! I think Google Doc, would work great. Hoping, Alan, will drop-by to offer-up a little of his advice, too. The more the merrier...

Rosemary
5-26-12, 11:39am
I'll look to see if I still have the doc I created last year.

Mrs-M
5-26-12, 11:56am
That sounds great, Rosemary, and maybe in-between now and the fall (or whenever we decide to get going on the project), we can kick-around a few other ideas.

ljevtich
5-27-12, 9:03pm
When I search for something on the internet, I am looking for a specific nugget of advice. What I have always loved about The Tightwad Gazette is that the information was in no particular order. I picked up advise on subjects I had never really thought about before. The articles were so well written that I read them even if they didn’t relate to my life at all. I even read the articles on clothe diapers even thought I don’t have kids and don’t plan on having them in the future.
Totally! I did the same thing myself! No Kids, yet I read the diaper article! Her book lead me to YMOYL book and ultimately to here.

We need to start with an outline, which can create the structure of the chapters. People can volunteer for their topics of interest, and then we can circulate the drafts among the group for additional ideas and then 2-3 rounds of editing.

So, to start the outline, list your ideas for topics to be covered in this thread, and we can compile them.

If this gets going we'll probably need an email mailing list to corral all the messages.

I'm In! Definitely! I wrote a seminar on how to live frugally in an RV. I can write about that, also an update about using the price book (or price sheet which I developed and use) as well as a bit about finances.

A Google document is a great idea. I actually have a format from a similar project that I can modify. I'll try to get to that in the next week or so. IN the meantime - send me a message here on the site (click on my user name, then find the "Send Private Message" link) with the email you'd like to use for this project so that I can give you access to the google doc.

I will send you a message, Rosemary, and I think that we should start doing this. I take it that this will be a volunteer sort of deal, where the profits would go to SLForums? Those that contribute could have their names (real ones not forum names!) as contributing editors which would help anyone who wants to get their names out there for a job or other reasons.

And I think that starting to work on it in the Fall is a really good idea. I don't think I could even start this project until at least July, as June is one very busy month for me, probably THE most busiest month of Grand Canyon NP. Kids get out of school and the road trips start then.

Sissy
5-27-12, 11:13pm
I can contribute in the craft and home decor section. I will keep my eye on this thread to find out how to do so. Fun!

Maxamillion
5-28-12, 2:20am
I need to go back and read through the recent replies, but I love this idea. Could get it published through lulu.com, it's a print-on-demand place, for those that wanted a hard copy. I did a book of my poetry through them.

happystuff
5-28-12, 7:31am
Have been following this off and on. I would also volunteer to proof-read/edit/organize/whatever on the back-end. I live pretty frugally, but will confess that most of the ideas and things I do are not my own - LOL.

Maxamillion
5-28-12, 9:57am
I do some drawing, so I could help with artwork.

Ideas that have been mentioned so far (I hope I haven't missed any; please let me know if I have)
-------------------------------------
How to live frugally in an RV
Price book/price sheet
finances
crafts
home decor
simple ways to make your home more attractive and comfortable
raising children
what you REALLY need to have/buy for your new baby
frugal cooking
frugal entertainment
simple, frugal funerals
budget stretching ideas for teachers
how to look like you spent a bundle on your outfit but shopped consignment
gardening
ways you can use your library to simplify your life

And to add some ideas I had:
holiday--decorating for, food, gifts, crafts, games, entertaining, etc.
music, would fall under entertainment category
taking care of kitchen items (pots, pans, etc, such as how to take care of cast iron, clean tarnished silver, and generally making stuff last)

So categories so far might be:
Finances (price book, paying off debts, retirement, saving...)
Arts and Crafts (sewing, knitting, woodwork, ...)
Home decor (decorating, making living spaces more comfortable, decluttering, ...)
Family life (raising kids, stuff for a new baby, funerals, weddings...)
Entertainment (library, music, movies, travel, ...)
Cooking and the Kitchen (recipes, menu ideas, taking care of kitchen items, ...)
Education (ideas for teachers, homeschooling, college, ...)
Clothing
Gardening
Transportation (car maintenance, ...)
Pets
Holidays (birthdays, Halloween, Christmas, ...)
Shelter (RV living, home maintenance, ...)
Health and Beauty

Mrs-M
5-28-12, 12:59pm
Wow! Love all the support this is getting!

Rosemary
5-28-12, 1:05pm
I have located the google doc that I began a year (or more!) ago. It's just a skeleton to give us a place to share ideas. To gain access, send me your email.

Mrs-M
5-28-12, 2:02pm
Done deal, Rosemary! Thank you.

Mrs-M
5-28-12, 2:38pm
To add, was just thinking, one specialty area I'd like to cover, the cleaning of old wooden clothespins!

Stella
5-28-12, 2:43pm
I would love to help out with this in any way I could. What fun!

Mrs-M
6-4-12, 3:06pm
Another specialty area I'd like to cover, folding fitted-sheets!

Merski
6-4-12, 4:56pm
Just let us know when and what kinds of tips you want us to give! I'm excited! I remember when I first saw something about Amy D. and it was love at first sight! She's my hero and I learned so much from her and then my trained brain came up with more frugal lifestyle tips.

kitten
6-5-12, 1:06pm
Miss Minimalist (who posts here too I think) just had a baby, and I think her focus is going to become increasingly family-oriented. It'll be interesting to see how she folds in being a new mom, co-parent and homeowner with the tenets of minimalism she's embraced so far. I see the relevance of her work expanding to a larger audience, as she takes on these new life challenges that so many people have :)

Rosemary
6-6-12, 7:44am
I think I've added everyone who's requested access. You all have permission to update the file. So I suggest that you add to the doc, the articles that you would like to write or contribute to... and then create your drafts and submit to the group for editing/additions.

What is the best way for this group of people to communicate? A private blog? A Yahoo group?

crunchycon
6-6-12, 9:36am
I'm a member of several Yahoo groups, and it certainly is a quick and easy way to communicate (as long as you're a member). Membership can be managed pretty easily and moderated also.

Tiam
6-6-12, 9:46am
I thought about this a few years ago myself and I wrote to Amy Dacyczyn to see what she thought. She wrote me back, a real letter mind you, and told me that she felt that with the Internet people weren't really interested in a book like this anymore. She went on to say that she thinks she was so successful because there was a need than to get the ideas into people's hands and the Internet wasn't around to do that. She makes a good point but I know I love those books and keep them for reference.

I'd certainly be in. I always wanted to write a book like that, how cool it would be to do it.

When she wrote this, I bet Kindles, and Nooks weren't around...That could be a game changer. Books are still popular. The delivery system has changed.

Mrs-M
6-6-12, 10:30am
That's great, Rosemary.

Re: communicating... why not message notifications, right through here? It is a SLF venture. :)

Rosemary
6-6-12, 11:21am
re: message notifications - I find this a rather clunky means of communication and the storage space per person is rather limited. I am inclined to set up a yahoo group if everyone agrees to that. You can use your regular email or set up a separate email for it, your preference.

Float On
6-6-12, 12:47pm
Is your google document thing like DropBox? I love using DropBox at church - all those neatly organized little file folders that whoever is a member of the group can drop documents into.

Mrs-M
6-6-12, 6:48pm
I, myself, am good with whatever everyone decides, too.

Re: my communication suggestion... I was just hoping to try and avoid complicating the venture by having to visit multiple sites to take part in.

All is well!

Stella
6-8-12, 12:36pm
Rosemary, can you add me to the yahoo group? This sounds like fun!

Mrs-M
8-5-12, 12:05pm
http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/forum/smileyvault-bump.gif

Anyone actively taking part in this at the moment?

Updates to share?

Merski
8-5-12, 12:11pm
May I also be included in the yahoo group? Thanks

artist
8-5-12, 7:56pm
I think a yahoo group would be a great way to go. Please add me to the list.

re: message notifications - I find this a rather clunky means of communication and the storage space per person is rather limited. I am inclined to set up a yahoo group if everyone agrees to that. You can use your regular email or set up a separate email for it, your preference.

Tussiemussies
8-5-12, 10:55pm
I would love to help out with this too. Just recently had done a search on the Internet for Amy D. and was hoping something new would pop up but there wasn't anything. Think this a great idea!

Maxamillion
8-5-12, 11:40pm
Do we have a Yahoo group yet?

ToomuchStuff
8-6-12, 11:49am
I would love to help out with this too. Just recently had done a search on the Internet for Amy D. and was hoping something new would pop up but there wasn't anything. Think this a great idea!

I saw a now old interview with her on YouTube. It was due in part to people asking what and where is she. However her husband wasn't mentioned, so I don't know if she is divorced, widowed, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUFyD-FTf-E

decemberlov
8-6-12, 12:19pm
I would love a book like this...being a young 30 yr old mom with 2 children.
The internet is great, but especially for this sort of book/handbook I love having it in print to highlight important stuff, dog ear pages and have on hand for easy access to my info.
I'm a printer so books and type are near & dear to me heart :)

Mrs-M
10-13-12, 1:27am
Decemberlov. Search, Amazon. I'll bet my bottom-dollar you'll find yourself a copy.

Tussiemussies
10-13-12, 1:41am
Love this Ida too and would be willing to help out with it...

Mrs-M
1-5-13, 11:52am
Bump

I visit this thread often. Was really hoping it would get off the ground.

Who else (besides me) is interested (honestly truly interested) in getting this going? We're going to need a healthy number of members to get involved if we're going to make it work.

In addition to, I think not getting in a big rush to complete, would be a big plus. Would make for a more enjoyable time and IMO, result in a more polished finale.

fidgiegirl
1-5-13, 12:03pm
I have done further research on eBooks. From my understanding it is quite easy to publish them. Also it means if we assembled something passable - well, not passable, exactly, but wouldn't have to be perfect or absolutely complete right off the bat. We could then update it later on and provide the revisions to the previous purchasers.

Mrs-M
1-5-13, 12:04pm
Cool, Fidgiegirl!

artist
1-5-13, 5:38pm
I am very interested.

Bump

I visit this thread often. Was really hoping it would get off the ground.

Who else (besides me) is interested (honestly truly interested) in getting this going? We're going to need a healthy number of members to get involved if we're going to make it work.

In addition to, I think not getting in a big rush to complete, would be a big plus. Would make for a more enjoyable time and IMO, result in a more polished finale.

Dhiana
1-5-13, 7:17pm
How did I miss this thread before? This sounds like a great idea! Is there a yahoo group/google docs set up? How far along are you?

I could help with some moving ideas having moved 26 times so far...also how to find and maintain a frugal lifestyle while living in a foreign country.

It looks like we have a lot of volunteers with a lot of experience in most of the areas we need to cover.

Catwoman
1-6-13, 5:44am
Love that this thread is getting some interest. Wish I could be of help, right now, my sister and I take turns being co-care-givers for our ailing, elderly parents - so my free time is pretty limited. As I have Grandbaby #2 coming in May, I am watching my kids do so well with their resources!!! I know my son and DDIL would love a book like this.

ToomuchStuff
1-7-13, 1:06am
My brain has been thinking on this, as I did look a couple of years ago (when the ereaders first started coming out), to see if it was available in a digital form (less clutter). I did find, online, multiple people saying what is in the books, you can get from frugal forums and other books (not to forget the library). But my main thought, has been on what to call it, since it is a copyrighted name, that we would have no rights to use. The one that came to mind, that might be good to use, and would give the tribute to, seemed to me to be Tightwad Dacyczn's (Decisions under it)

Mrs-M
1-7-13, 10:29am
Artist and Dhiana, that's awesome!

Catwoman. No explanations needed, I know all about limited time and how it can be. :)

ToomuchStuff. Love your idea. I had in mind something along the lines of, "The Simple/Frugal Living Bible", or, "The Simple/Frugal Living Manual".