PDA

View Full Version : Favorite processed food?

Greg44
3-26-11, 6:48pm
My dw "requested" (note I blame this on my dw!)I buy her some of those smuckers
frozen Peanut butter/jelly white bread round sandwiches with no crusts! I could NOT
believe I was buying them...but you know what, they are really quite good! :devil:

Some out of the box, frozen prepared stuff is really just better tasting than what I could make. Fat, salt and sugar are the normal ingredients that unfortuantely make them taste so good!

While I'm not sure they are my most favorite "processed/pre-packaged/boxed" food, they are good. Any other guilty unheathly pleasures out there? ;)

JaneV2.0
3-26-11, 7:34pm
Stagg canned chili. Much faster and easier than making it from scratch, though I usually throw everything short of the kitchen sink into it--chopped garlic, jalapenos, cayenne, green onions, ground beef... I also like Athenos hummus.

screamingflea
3-26-11, 8:06pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUP5rwVNJko

loosechickens
3-26-11, 8:32pm
every year at Xmas, my MIL and SIL get me several packages of Stove Top Stuffing Mix. I would DIE before I would buy it in the store, yet I really like the stuff, at least once in awhile, so they put it in a gift package for me at Xmas and everybody is happy, I have no guilt, yet I get my "Stove Top" fix, complete with MSG a few times a year..........

They really get a kick out of doing it, because both of them are big with packaged food and I'm the in-law in the family who is considered too "holier than thou" for it, so it gives them a chance to laugh at me and me a chance to laugh at myself.....

Which reminds me, there's still one package of the stuff left in the cupboard.......hehehehe.......

Kathy WI
3-26-11, 10:26pm
I love Stove Top stuffing, too. I also like Chef Boy-ar-dee ravioli; it's like a childhood comfort food. When I'm craving nasty food, I get Derby tamales in a can. You have to peel the paper wrappers off the greezy things.

Sometimes I wonder why they don't make precooked ground beef in a can. I bet lots of people would use it to make their own sloppy joes, chili, and casseroles.

Tradd
3-26-11, 11:07pm
Stove Top stuffing (sage flavor), Chef-Boy-ar-dee Ravioli, too! (plenty of this in my emergency stash!). Jeno's frozen pizza. The cheapo ones with all the fat and the square pepperoni, wonderfully greasy - all for about $1.25! And can't forget instant mashed potatoes.

Greg44
3-27-11, 12:13am
Stove Top Stuffing! Being vegetarian I really miss that stuff - I keep checking the box to see if they have removed
the Chicken Broth - no such luck!

Gina
3-27-11, 12:17am
Favorite processed food? Using the term 'food' loosely, for me it's Hostess Twinkies. I admit it, I love 'em - every soft, gooey, sweet bite. I also haven't eaten one for over a decade. :laff:

http://cdn.healthhabits.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/twinkies.jpg

Mrs-M
3-27-11, 9:06am
I've learned something here in reading everyone's posts, yeah, I need to start spoiling myself occasionally! Good thing I have no plans on shopping today otherwise I could see myself splurging on something or another thanks to all you guys! Shame on you for trying to taint me! :laff:

Sad Eyed Lady
3-27-11, 9:42am
Little Debbie snack cakes. Especially since they make a smaller version now of some like their honey bun, with about 1/2 the calories. So, a quick one before work sometimes, or take one with me to work with a cup of coffee. Coffee - organic, fair trade, it may be, but tucked in my carry to work bag - Little Debbie!

Kat
3-27-11, 10:13am
DH loves Pizza Rolls and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. I'm a fan of Nutty Bars.

Gina
3-27-11, 11:44am
Coffee - organic, fair trade, it may be, but tucked in my carry to work bag - Little Debbie!

:laff:

domestic goddess
3-27-11, 12:58pm
Here is my confession: I love Stouffer's mac and cheese and their creamed chipped beef. There is enough sodium in each (but especially the creamed chipped beef) to choke a horse, but I do love them both.

herbgeek
3-27-11, 1:20pm
Annie's Mac and Cheese. I used to have a can of Spagettios's hidden in the back of the pantry for when I was sick.

mira
3-27-11, 1:22pm
Chef-Boy-ar-dee Ravioli, too!
Ditto. And Spaghetti-Os with meatballs. You can't get them here (well, you can get something similar but it doesn't taste half as good!) and every so often I get a craving...

JaneV2.0
3-27-11, 2:00pm
I spent nearly a week once with no heat or electricity in sub-freezing weather, and I can't tell you how glad I was to find a can of Chef Boy-ar-dee ravioli in the back of a cupboard. It tasted--cold--like manna from heaven. Fortunately, power was restored before I ran out of edible food altogether.

Gina
3-27-11, 2:16pm
Funny thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKKUTW65PK4

http://www.ez-smilies.com/smilies/innocent0002.gif

domestic goddess
3-27-11, 10:05pm
Oh, yeah. I can definitely be a "junk food junkie"! I occasionally hide a box of candy in my room, or it will disappear in minutes around here.

puglogic
3-28-11, 11:07am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUP5rwVNJko

I LOVE Southern Comfort on the Skids, and especially that song. Thanks for the smile, flea! :)
(where's my Captains Wafers????)

goldensmom
3-28-11, 11:46am
Most sinful, most satisfying: Zingers, little powdered sugar donuts, Banana Flips of the 60's.

Most useful: Stove Top Stuffing - sage

Gregg
3-28-11, 5:54pm
every year at Xmas, my MIL and SIL get me several packages of Stove Top Stuffing Mix. I would DIE before I would buy it in the store, yet I really like the stuff, at least once in awhile, so they put it in a gift package for me at Xmas and everybody is happy, I have no guilt, yet I get my "Stove Top" fix, complete with MSG a few times a year..........

I used to avoid it like the plague, opting instead to buy bread (to make the bread crumbs), all the spices, make chicken stock, and....oh, wait! That is what's in Stove Top. Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. Of course I jazz it up with celery, walnuts, crazins or whatever so no one will know for sure. Yea, right.

Wildflower
3-29-11, 4:00am
Another one that LOVES Stovetop Stuffing. >8)

dado potato
3-30-11, 4:29pm
Peanut butter is an incredible processed food.

treehugger
3-30-11, 5:43pm
This is a fun topic. I think most people grew up eating some type of processed food that is now a guilty pleasure. And these are usually things that someone from another culture, or anyone who didn't learn to love it while young, would make a face at if introduced to it as an adult.

There are a number of things I liked as a kid that I have lost my taste for (anything made with cream of whatever soup, canned beef stew, American cheese, among many other items), but there are still a few things that I buy occasionally for the comfort food aspect. Mother's Circus Animal cookies (the pink and white frosted ones), Cheez-its, and Dennison's canned chili are the three that top the list.

Kara

ApatheticNoMore
3-30-11, 6:02pm
Geez, I'm so pure I have none of that. What's in my cupboard? Amy's organic soups, tuna fish .... :~) Keep pasta and so on around too.

I do go to the vending machine sometimes. Usually for peanuts, but yea occasionally for a sneakers bar or chips, so I guess that's your packaged junk there. I guess I prefer it when I must have junk, because it doesn't even pretend to be food. :)

I've made stuffing (last made it for thanksgiving because hey stuffing isn't super healthy regardless), it's not terribly difficult, and it's vegetarian (not vegan, it has butter).

Kestrel
3-30-11, 11:59pm
Svenhards Bear Claws. I've loved them since forever. No other brand will do. And every year I have to have ONE marshmallow Easter Bunny, preferably yellow. And for me, white flour tortillas are like crack cocaine -- I absolutely do not buy them because I'll heat them in the microwave and eat them just like they are, with no filling or whatever (with fillings are good too). I don't know what it is -- they're totally tasteless -- but I love them love them. And Tim's Jalapeno potato chips. Absolutely the best. And Spam. I do like Spam too :|( . And yes, Stovetop Stuffing is good any time of year.

But I don't eat any of these things anymore if I can help it, what with eliminating gluten and all. But every so often ... I just can't help myself and have to have some.

Fawn
3-31-11, 1:44pm
Cheez-Its.

Chocolate covered almonds---though technically those are not a food, but a mood elevating drug.:~)

pinkytoe
3-31-11, 5:27pm
Big fan of Nature's Path cereals - when they are on sale. I just now ate an Oreo - first in many years - oh my!

treehugger
3-31-11, 5:49pm
OK, this thread is really making me want to buy a box of Cheez-its. :P They aren't something I normally buy, not really because they are expensive and non-nutritive, but mostly because I have zero control once they are in the house. I can hear them calling to me from their shiny red box and I eat and eat until they are all gone. Luckily I do have the willpower to leave them on the grocery store shelf...usually.

Gardenarian
3-31-11, 5:58pm
I love spanakopita - dh buys huge boxes of the frozen ones from Costco. Really yummy!
I also have a weakness for Cheetos (the crunchy kind) that I rarely indulge.

Rosemary
3-31-11, 6:39pm
Salad dressing. Specifically, Newman's Own light honey mustard.
I KNOW it's really easy to make salad dressing. But on a night like tonight, when I've been standing, chopping and cooking for 2 hours solid, it's nice to reach for bottled dressing. Also, DH, DD and I have different favorites.

Gina
4-1-11, 12:25am
Ooooo, crunchy Cheetos... I'd forgotten about that weakness. No other brand will do.

I'll indulge that one about once/year. And when I do, it's a smallish bag since regardless of the size, it's all gone the first day.

:devil:

beckyliz
4-4-11, 5:08pm
Velveeta :|(