PDA

View Full Version : Ready for the cold?

Tradd
1-4-15, 8:31pm
We're finally getting winter here in northern IL. -5F tonight, high of about 8F tomorrow. Low Wednesday will be -14F (that's the air temp, wind chills will be about -25F). We're supposed to get some more snow tomorrow, got maybe an inch or two today.

Are you ready? I topped off my gas tank today and added more bug juice (aka wiper fluid). Pulled out my summer bedspread and added it to my bed, on top of down comforter in flannel duvet. Found the heavier socks and my long john top. Wearing 4 layers on top (long john top, ss t-shirt, ls t-shirt, long fleece turtleneck top) and two on bottom (long john bottoms, yoga pants). Lots of hot tea.

I'm very glad I bought one of those 3 in 1 jackets this fall (fleece liner that zips into an outer shell). Nice and toasty. Coat I've had for maybe 8 years is a wool coat, nice, but not wind/water-resistant.

bae
1-4-15, 8:51pm
I have an upcoming wilderness medicine course next month, taught in the field for a week, so I've been rebuilding my array of super-cold-nasty-wet-weather gear over the past month.

The big win was the Carhartt's thermal underwear, and some really nice Smartwool socks I got for Christmas. Next up was the on-sale wool shirt-jacket from LL Beans, and the Filson wool pants from their discount outlet. I also put a slightly different haft on an axe so that I could pack along a pretty stout axe without too much trouble.

chrissieq
1-4-15, 9:06pm
Yesterday I barely needed a hat and gloves but today, in the house in Mpls, I am wearing leggings, jeans, long sleeved shirt, full length sweater, smart wool socks and slippers. I think this is the new normal for the next few days - love the layering!!

It will be 12 below tomorrow when we head out in the AM. At least I no longer work where I stood outside greeting kids for the first 45 minutes of my day!! I used to wear those chemical hand and foot warmers. Now since I only have to walk my dog, I am going to make myself a pair of hand warmers to tuck into my mittens.

Azure
1-4-15, 10:59pm
NOOOO! lol Luckily my car is in the garage. The road in front of my house is a sheet of ice right now but the highways were not great, but ok when we took our youngest an hour north to school this evening.

ETA: Looks like our low tonight is 5 and high tomorrow 12 degrees. Don't even WANT to know about windchill!

Tiam
1-5-15, 12:59am
Yay! It's warming up here! highs are in the 40's! I'm actually at two layers. I am always tempted to turn on the footsie heater. it feels so good! Must. be. strong.

Glo
1-5-15, 11:29am
We've had nothing but rain here in NE OH this winter. I hate rain in winter. We are way past time for snow. It's much colder today with a few flurries.

rodeosweetheart
1-5-15, 1:09pm
It was 1 degree when I got up, so maybe a little colder last night. Tradd, you've got colder weather there in Chicago than Northern Michigan! Stay warm!

awakenedsoul
1-5-15, 1:18pm
I've been driving up to the mountains with my boyfriend on the weekends. It's still pretty warm in LA during the day, but where we hike it's cold (for us Californians,) and there's snow. I wear layers. I have a thin cashmere sweater that I bought on sale at T.J. Maxx several years ago. I wear another wool sweater on top of that, and thick wool socks that I knit. (I have a pair for each day of the week.) The yarn is hand dyed in the Czech Republic, and I love those socks! I plan to buy new hiking boots, because the tennis shoes I'm wearing aren't doing the trick. I made a pair of alpaca/merino wool gloves that I've been wearing every day. I used a ball of sock yarn that I bought on clearance. I'm wearing a cabled hat that I made out of cashmere yarn I found for a steal on EBay. I have pashmina leggings I ordered on line that are very warm and they've lasted for three years already. I knit a scarf and an oval shawl, and those have come in really handy, too.

On the bed I have flannel sheets, a feather bed mattress, and a duvet cover over my down comforter. I knit an alpaca blanket that I lay on top of everything if the temps are really low. I also use a heating pad on my back and hip before I go to sleep.

My boyfriend asked me to knit him a hat to wear in the snow. I'm going to get started on that today. I have some grey Italian tweed yarn in my stash. It's an easy knit, and I won't spend any money, since I already paid for the yarn. (I got it on clearance a year and a half ago.)

Azure
1-5-15, 8:57pm
When I went into the credit union this afternoon the sign said 7. When I came out 5 minutes later it had dropped to 6.

Blackdog Lin
1-5-15, 10:23pm
I hate it. Hate it hate it hate it.

I am grateful for central heat. And an enclosed garage. And an especially wonderful bed piled high with blankets (and my dog.) And for a stocked pantry that enables warming soups and stews and casseroles without having to go out to the store.

But I still hate it. I am fairly certain that in previous lives I lived in and was adapted to semi-tropical weather. :)

awakenedsoul
1-6-15, 12:44pm
We are so lucky here. The days are mild and our version of "cold" nights is nothing like yours. Today I'm going to remind myself to be grateful for the sunshine and get outside and trim a fallen tree.

SteveinMN
1-6-15, 12:47pm
Around here, we call days like this Tuesday. :D

Seriously, if one is dressed for it, the wind isn't blowing, and you're working/moving, it isn't too bad. I spent an hour this morning clearing snow from our walk/sidewalk and my rental property. Even chatted with a neighbor for a few minutes. Not bad, though I can see I should have had another layer beneath my jeans.

But, yeah, I sure wouldn't mind a bit of January thaw.

goldensmom
1-6-15, 12:59pm
Around here, we call days like this Tuesday. :D

Layer up, get out and move. At 6 I was thinking of curling up on the sofa for the day until I saw my 'older-than-I' neighbors walking so I layered up, got out and got moving. When it was done I felt invigorated and like I'd accomplished something. I can't complain or boast as my husband works outside in any weather, sometimes 10 minutes out and 10 minutes in all day but that's his job. Don't talk to him about being cold.

Tenngal
1-6-15, 2:59pm
we are expecting a low of around 10 degrees for the next couple of nights. That is cold for us. Actually anything less than 30 degrees is cold. Outside faucets are wrapped, cars have anti freeze. The real downside of such cold weather is the cost of home heating. We have a natural gas central unit and try to keep it at 68 during the day and 64 at night. Hubby simply will not allow me to put it any lower at night and thinks he is mistreated at 68 during the day. We will survive.

Azure
1-6-15, 4:32pm
I lived in Texas for almost 5 years and missed the changing seasons so much. I was so happy to come back to mid-Michigan that I very rarely complain about it. If it stays too cold for too long I will. But I am so happy to have a true winter and am disappointed when there is no snow.

dmc
1-6-15, 6:52pm
Still short and flip flop weather here, low 80's today. But cold front is suppose to hit Thursday, only going to be on the mid 60's. We may have to turn on the heater. Thankfully suppose to be back in the 70's Friday.

pony mom
1-6-15, 9:30pm
It's finally getting pretty cold here this week. I'm looking forward to wearing all my gorgeous thrift store sweaters and turtlenecks, warm Smartwool socks, Columbia winter coat, mittens, warm cords...all of it. Going braless under my layers is a benefit as well.

Glo
1-7-15, 12:06am
Finally got snow here in NE OH! We've had lots of rain and warm weather this winter. I hate rain in winter. I'm happy to see snow even though it's colder than I like.

Azure
1-7-15, 1:04am
I agree Glo. I just hate it when it rains in winter. All that mud. Not nearly as pretty as snow :)

jp1
1-7-15, 10:47am
My favorite thing about winter when I lived in NYC was when we would get a big snow and then at the end of the storm it would warm up and turn to rain, resulting in giant slush puddles at every intersection since all the storm drains were blocked by the snow. It made crossing streets a really interesting task.

oldhat
1-7-15, 11:18am
Winter, blecchh.

At least the days are getting noticeably longer. I'm not crazy about the cold, but I can take it as long as there's light.

Blackdog Lin
1-7-15, 10:32pm
Excellent point oldhat. I've been really noticing the longer days (daylight). It's wonderful.

(And did anyone else have that moon last night? Unusually for me, I was out after dark and coming home on a road high enough to see a beautiful yellow-orange moon as big as all outdoors - I mean it looked like one of those photos where they zoom the moon to overly-large and unrealistic proportions. Only this was real.)

Miss Cellane
1-8-15, 8:25am
It's -9 degrees F here this morning. This is a bit colder than we usually get, and the wind was howling all night--they issued a wind chill warning for last night into this morning. The city opened up a warming shelter earlier this week. Normally, this time of year, we're at about 12-20 degrees, so this isn't *that* much colder, but the wind is making things chilly.

The only people not wearing warm jackets, hats, and gloves that I've seen are the university students with which my town abounds (the state university is one town over, and lots of the kids rent apartments in my town). They either don't feel the cold or are just too hip to deal with hats.

We did keep the heat up a bit last night, because this house does not keep the heat well when there's a lot of wind. So 60 degrees instead of the usual 55. And the living room, which is the coldest room in the house, was at 49 when I got up this morning. But the pipes didn't freeze!

Miss Cellane
1-8-15, 8:56am
Excellent point oldhat. I've been really noticing the longer days (daylight). It's wonderful.

(And did anyone else have that moon last night? Unusually for me, I was out after dark and coming home on a road high enough to see a beautiful yellow-orange moon as big as all outdoors - I mean it looked like one of those photos where they zoom the moon to overly-large and unrealistic proportions. Only this was real.)

Ordinarily, my bedroom at night is dark, dark enough that I can't even see my bedside lamp. Last night, with the moon shining down on the snow, my room was only dim, or like dusk. I woke up in the middle of the night and thought I'd overslept, the room was so bright! Looked out the window, and the moon was shining down.

cdttmm
1-8-15, 9:39am
Like Miss Cellane, we've got below zero temps this morning here in lovely western Massachusetts. Personally, I love it! Having grown up in Minnesota, I'm quite familiar with truly cold weather and I'll alsways consider the winters we have here to be balmy by comparison. I did turn the heat up in different heating zones around the house to insure that the pipes wouldn't freeze and, as a result, my winter coveralls were toasty warm from being hung next to the radiator in the laundry room overnight. It was so much fun to put them on and bundle up when I went outside to load the wood boiler this morning. I filled the platform bird feeder and I'm enjoying a huge mug of hot tea while watching the birds feast this morning. Hooray for winter!!!

ctg492
1-8-15, 7:05pm
Cold weather is different to each area I have now learned. Living in Michigan winter is winter, snow blowing, freezing temps, salt on roads, plows out, you have enough to get by if the plow does not come by for a few days, dress warm and carry on.
Here in TN the freeze warning are up. School delayed. Signs up on the corners about dripping faucets guess it is a public service notice, Letter from HOA to let water faucets drip, tips on living through a couple nights of freezing weather and such, electric conservation, leave cupboard doors open.We had a pipe on the new built crack in Nov!
I grasp with all this as it is just winter. But I am understanding how different cold is in each part of country. Ok my home in MI I left the heat on 50 as every winter when I am gone. The homes are insulated. Here in TN the H2O heater is in the garage. That is a really big difference.
Yesterday as school was delayed due to the freezing weather.Cars lined up with the kids in them for the bus. I went for a three mile run.

Miss Cellane
1-9-15, 8:12am
Cold weather is different to each area I have now learned. Living in Michigan winter is winter, snow blowing, freezing temps, salt on roads, plows out, you have enough to get by if the plow does not come by for a few days, dress warm and carry on.
Here in TN the freeze warning are up. School delayed. Signs up on the corners about dripping faucets guess it is a public service notice, Letter from HOA to let water faucets drip, tips on living through a couple nights of freezing weather and such, electric conservation, leave cupboard doors open.We had a pipe on the new built crack in Nov!
I grasp with all this as it is just winter. But I am understanding how different cold is in each part of country. Ok my home in MI I left the heat on 50 as every winter when I am gone. The homes are insulated. Here in TN the H2O heater is in the garage. That is a really big difference.
Yesterday as school was delayed due to the freezing weather.Cars lined up with the kids in them for the bus. I went for a three mile run.

My sister moved from New Hampshire to Wisconsin. She was startled the first time school was delayed because of the cold. Snow delays, those she was familiar with. But the very cold wind chills in Milwaukee that make it dangerous for little kids to be out waiting for the school bus? That was a new one.

But as CTG492 points out, we tend to build our houses for the typical weather in our area. My house is over 100 years old. It stands cold weather very well, windy and cold weather a bit less well, and the stinking hot humidity of a NH summer Not Very Well At All. Clearly, it was designed to help people survive a cold winter as a priority. It does, however, have a lovely porch that catches whatever breeze might be available in the summer, so that wasn't completely neglected.

Just like my parka, which was rated for 10-50 degrees F when I bought it. It's great, most of the time I need nothing else. The past few days, I've been layering fleece jackets or wool sweaters underneath it, because of the below zero temps and the wind--which combine to make me feel like the parka isn't there.

ctg492
1-9-15, 7:15pm
So to end one of my gripes about where I am at for now, I researched insulating in differents parts of the country. Miss Cellane was correct on built for typical weather. I understand now about humidity being and issue here, heat, termites could get in insulation, so many reasons. So I will let my faucets drip.

ApatheticNoMore
1-9-15, 8:20pm
Oh I'm getting tired of living in an older apartment. It gets colder in winter and hotter in summer. Unlike most houses it isn't insulated (most houses are at least minimally insulated but rentals - forget about it). And unlike the newer buildings, it's not as well sealed against the outside air. Of course that can be a plus or a minus but it's doesn't make dealing with weather any easier.

Rachel
1-10-15, 10:21am
I spent some time in a knitting store a few weeks ago and was struck by the quality of wools that one can buy---I don't know the specific type of yarn you're talking about, awakenedsoul, but I bet it is way above what would come in a ready-made cap. Don't be surprised if it becomes an heirloom!

Speaking of heirlooms, we have a wool blanket that was originally owned and passed down from my father's grandfather, who lived in the Yukon. It is super warm and sturdy.

Rachel
1-10-15, 10:26am
My favorite thing about winter when I lived in NYC was when we would get a big snow and then at the end of the storm it would warm up and turn to rain, resulting in giant slush puddles at every intersection since all the storm drains were blocked by the snow. It made crossing streets a really interesting task.

Oh yes. The urban lakes. Ugh, ugh, ugh. But for about one or two glorious days there is nothing quite like the city under a fresh shining blanket of snow.

Rachel
1-10-15, 10:26am
Ordinarily, my bedroom at night is dark, dark enough that I can't even see my bedside lamp. Last night, with the moon shining down on the snow, my room was only dim, or like dusk. I woke up in the middle of the night and thought I'd overslept, the room was so bright! Looked out the window, and the moon was shining down.

This gives me goosebumps, it sounds magical.

Rachel
1-10-15, 10:29am
Oh I'm getting tired of living in an older apartment. It gets colder in winter and hotter in summer. Unlike most houses it isn't insulated (most houses are at least minimally insulated but rentals - forget about it). And unlike the newer buildings, it's not as well sealed against the outside air. Of course that can be a plus or a minus but it's doesn't make dealing with weather any easier.

It might be a small comfort to know that some schools of thought see our super-insulated homes as less healthy than spaces that have more air coming in from outside. I can sure appreciate how tiresome it must be though in the extremes of temps!

awakenedsoul
1-10-15, 1:43pm
I spent some time in a knitting store a few weeks ago and was struck by the quality of wools that one can buy---I don't know the specific type of yarn you're talking about, awakenedsoul, but I bet it is way above what would come in a ready-made cap. Don't be surprised if it becomes an heirloom!

Speaking of heirlooms, we have a wool blanket that was originally owned and passed down from my father's grandfather, who lived in the Yukon. It is super warm and sturdy.

That's wonderful. My parents are in their seventies and eighties, and they are really enjoying the Misti Alpaca wool blankets I knit them. It's expensive yarn, but I buy it on clearance.

For the hat for my boyfriend, I'll use Cascade Rustic yarn. It's linen and wool...made in Italy. It's tweed. He shaves his head, so it will come in handy in the snow! He really appreciates hand made stuff. His mom crochets.