PDA

View Full Version : Hipster-ism?

LDAHL
1-7-15, 3:57pm
Can anybody provide me with a working definition of “hipster”? We don’t see many here in the unfashionable Midwest. It seems to have something to do with the earnest striking of ironical poses, but I’m not entirely sure.

herbgeek
1-7-15, 4:07pm
My understanding of this term is that its used for folks who are on the leading edge of trends, and satirically for folks with goatees who hang out in upscale coffee shops sporting the latest Apple toy and take themselves way too seriously (like in the Portlandia show).

LDAHL
1-7-15, 4:17pm
My understanding of this term is that its used for folks who are on the leading edge of trends, and satirically for folks with goatees who hang out in upscale coffee shops sporting the latest Apple toy and take themselves way too seriously (like in the Portlandia show).

So it's meant in a pejorative sense, like "yuppie"?

herbgeek
1-7-15, 4:33pm
Yes, that's how I see it used.

oldhat
1-7-15, 4:41pm
Here's a link to the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_%28contemporary_subculture%29#Julia_Plevin ), which will tell you all you need to know and probably more than you want to know.

The irony of being "hip," like being "cool" is, of course, that if you have to work at it, you aren't. Which means the vast majority of self-described hipsters aren't, they just think they are.

Yossarian
1-7-15, 5:26pm
Here's how you can track them:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericaswallow/2013/03/25/hipsters-pbr-beer/

KayLR
1-7-15, 6:02pm
Portland OR is replete with them. My boss is one. :doh:

ctg492
1-7-15, 6:37pm
My 27 year old son.

Zoe Girl
1-7-15, 10:12pm
my son says hipsters are not cool, of course he is a white boy with dreads and saggy jeans, i did about that bad or worse at the same age, funny thing is that my kids and me have always thought we were cool but not that anyone else ever thought i was cool, my son' s teacher once told me he was a cool kid because he didn't really care what anyone thought

pcooley
1-7-15, 10:30pm
Just watch "Portlandia" on Netflix.

Packy
1-8-15, 4:59pm
What I believe is, it is a reaction to societal change, and the new American Service economy. . The main factor being the disappearance of good(but not great)paying productive jobs in urban areas. Those kids figure it isn't worth it to try too hard, anyway. They can't all be Superman. The heck with going into debt to try and obtain a Masters Degree,(or Doctorate), so you can then try to get a job you hate, anyway. Or, alternatively, without a professional degree, slave away at one low-paying full-time job and one or two part-time jobs, just so you can be "normal" and have a new house, a new car, a new baby, and go to church on Sunday. Be All-American Middle Class, right? Then, because of other undesirable aspects of "social change" end up losing it in a divorce or Layoff. They figure it's a crapshoot. In any event, they are underemployed. I guess that in some ways they are the contemporary equivalent of the "beatnick" or "hippie"-rejecting middle-class materialism and "success". So, as an alternative, they become fashionably poor. The major difference between them and SL-ers is that Hipsters aren't much concerned about long-term security. The one thing that I notice most about hipsters, is their stereotypical hipster bike. I can understand why they ride them, and why they build them the way they do--simple & cheap. What they are typically is a garage-sale 70's or 80's upscale-quality touring bike(10-12 or 18 speed), that has been stripped of its' derailleurs, sometimes the the brakes; and the drop-bars replaced with straight handlebars. Sometimes, if they are ambitious, they change the rear hub to one that does not freewheel. That way, they can brake through the crankset. Then, top it off with an aerosol-can paint job, rims and all, in their favorite combination of Fluorescent colors. This makes it distinctive, and easier to identify if it is stolen. Still, itt really pains me when they do this to a Vintage Trek Road Bike. Ouch. Sob. Hipsters live in old, old houses that have been converted to cheap apartments, within biking distance of older, gentrified, artsy-fartsy business districts and nightclubs. Also, in close proximity to Thrift Shops. That way, they can work evening hours as a janitor or a dishwasher at a trendy bistro, or tend bar, maybe even be in a band at a club, to earn rent money and buy weed and other essentials. That's pretty much my perception of them. Hope that helps you some. Thankk Mee.

ctg492
1-8-15, 5:46pm
Drink Micro Brew Beer. Fancy overly priced coffee.
Oh and the bike thing. I too don't get it. I listened to son babble about the perfect hipster bike. I was like what wrong with you dependable Trek? It was more about the style, the avocado green, bought off Craigslist for way to much money.
I don't like labels and assumed most younger folks were getting away from labels, yet here we go again with a label.

Blackdog Lin
1-8-15, 8:52pm
yeah, ctg492: labels. labels and beards. hipsters, to my mind, = labels and beards.

Sillies.

mtnlaurel
1-9-15, 9:21am
I just love this commercial that is poking fun of Hipsters

http://www.marketmenot.com/smirnoff-vodka-deconstructed-martini-commercial/

Packy
1-9-15, 12:25pm
The pretentious Hipster Bartender that is serving the Yuppie Couple said he went to school for 7 years in Stockholm. Prolly meant Grades 1-7, waaaay up dere in Stockholm, WisKonsin. How do you like that?

Spartana
1-14-15, 10:15am
I just love this commercial that is poking fun of Hipsters

http://www.marketmenot.com/smirnoff-vodka-deconstructed-martini-commercial/Ha Ha - too funny!

I have no idea what an actual hipster is but that commercial comes pretty close to my vision of one. All he needs are the big glasses and maybe a knitted beanie cap. Oh and the single gear bicycle - which I'm sure he has behind the bar. I do like hipster foodie trends though - if only to make fun of.