PDA

View Full Version : Let me Gross you out...

Catwoman
3-26-11, 8:21pm
I have toenail fungus, bleechh!! Too many pedis in places where cleanliness was not ultimate priority I guess. Anyway, I am using over the counter lamisil stuff and tea tree oil alternately... any tips would love, because my toes will not be pretty for summer sandals!!!

loosechickens
3-26-11, 8:35pm
I've heard that medication taken internally is most effective, but only available by prescription. I've always wanted to get a pedicure, as I've never, ever had even one, but have known SO many people to end up with that toenail fungus from pedicures that I've just never dared.

Maybe best to just check with your doctor, and get at the problem, from the inside, where the fungus has established itself. I know a couple people who had bad cases of the stuff, very unsightly, and the prescription stuff taken internally did the job.

Good luck........

Mrs. Hermit
3-26-11, 8:45pm
Exposing the nail fungus to air (aka going barefoot or in sandals) can help too.

janharker
3-26-11, 9:46pm
The prescription medication that is taken internally is notorious for causing liver damage. Soak your toes 3+ times a week in 2 parts white vinegar, 1 part warm water for 20 minutes. Be patient.

redfox
3-26-11, 11:12pm
Patience is key. I have had a mild fungus under two toenails for many years, and have never had a pedicure. I did tea tree oil for a year - nada. I'll try the vinegar. One woman I know had a bad infection - all her toenails - so she had them (sit down) pulled out, and they re-grew healthy. THAT was wild - but I'd do it before I'd take liver damaging drugs.

RosieTR
3-27-11, 12:28am
Supposedly Vick's VapoRub helps too, rubbed on the offending areas. The vinegar soak can't hurt unless fungus likes acidic conditions. Fungus usually thrives in moist, dark conditions so barefoot and sandals also probably won't hurt.

Sad Eyed Lady
3-27-11, 9:51am
I've just recently been reading this about the Vick's Vapor Rub. The key to it seems to be patience and consistency. Twice a day, everyday. I think this would be better than the prescription stuff that has some serious side effects. Do a search on it and read from others who have had success (and failures) with Vick's.

Catwoman
3-27-11, 10:27am
I am a big fan of Vick's - will give that a try. Thanks!

HappyHiker
4-26-11, 8:44am
I've used the herb Pau d'Arco with good effect to clear up toe nail fungus. It's a proven anti-fungal, gentle, with no reported ill effects. I've made tea from it and had two cups a day for a couple of weeks and zap, fungus gone.

Also, I've read that soaking affected foot in a foot bath made from two Pau d'Arco tea bags once or twice a day for a week clears it up...but I've not tried the foot soak myself, only drinking the tea.

You can buy Pau d'Arco in tea bags, or as a tincture that you mix with water...Google for more info and where to find the products, some health food stores/drugstores will carry the tea bags or tincture...

iris lily
4-26-11, 9:52am
I'll raise you one in grossness. 7 dogs. feces. urine. ugh.

But we are getting a routine down with this pack of dogs and some "get it" about going outside to the bathroom and some will never get it.

Glo
4-26-11, 9:53am
I've heard that soaking in Listerine works. DH had toenail fungus and would not use the Listerine method. He took a prescription drug; the drug did not work the first two times but did on the third round. Too much IMO.

reader99
4-26-11, 10:26am
Since we are sharing TMI, a few years ago after I had my arm in a sling for a few weeks, I developed a fungal infection in my armpit. The prescription cream kept it from getting worse but it didn't get any better for weeks. I tried a splash of vinegar each morning and night and it was gone in three days. I didn't dilute the vinegar; I don't know how diluted it could be and still work.