PDA

View Full Version : January Declutter Challenge

Float On
1-2-11, 10:38am
I love the Declutter challenges and would like to see us have a monthly list again, I'm not sure if it should be in the challenge or the organizing forums though, so if someone can start one a Mod could delete this question.

Tweety
1-2-11, 7:43pm
I'm in! That's one of my 2011 resolutions. I did a massive declutter about 2 years ago, it took months. Last week I felt the stirrings of another declutter wave and filled the trash can. My method was to make sure that the can was full for every weekly pickup, that was just a bag or 2 a week; very do-able, and little by little the basement was looking better and better.
My inspiration was, and is, to imagine my children going through my stuff after my demise and saying, "Why on EARTH was she keeping THAT?!"
Anything with any value was offered to said children, or donated to Goodwill, but most of it went right out. It feels SO good!

danna
1-2-11, 9:17pm
I am always trying to declutter and trying not to bring more in...that is my other challenge to myself this month not to buy anything that is not needed...
The 5 items a day always seem to help me...
so far ; 1 jacket to Charity
15 collector doll magazines to charity (not sure what I thought I would do with them) like I said the main challenge is to not add more or I will be decluttering for the rest of my life.
1 book to charity
2 very old christmas things to garbage
1 ornament Dgrandson liked given to him
8 ornaments to charity
Total to date Jan 02= 28

Float On
1-2-11, 10:25pm
Jan 1:
1. 2 wreaths from the dormers - to landfill - too brittle to be worth giving away. Won't replace.
2. 2 sets of wooden trees to thrift shop bag in the back of my truck
3. 2 shirts to thrift
Jan 2: A bag of 4 kitchen items that were duplicates to the thrift shop bag
Will try to run those thrift shop items to the thrift shop in the early a.m. to leave in the donate box before they open and I'm tempted to go in and buy something.

kib
1-2-11, 10:38pm
I do believe you just started it, Float On! Would you like me to change the title?

Mrs-M
1-2-11, 10:44pm
This is a great thread! I'm going to be slow to start but have a good feeling I'll gain momentum as the month progresses. To start.

Cleanse bathroom cabinet of all empty hand lotion containers/bottles.

CreekyAttic
1-3-11, 12:19am
Jumping aboard this one.
Jan. 2
Gone:
- 3 tin ornaments to DD
- a good sock and a gluey mouse trap (don't ask)
- ripped bedsheet
- clip on reading light
- repurposed some scrap cardstock into great craft sale tags

Thanks for starting this.

earthshepherd
1-3-11, 7:01am
Jan 1-2
I cleaned off my laundry room shelves, plugged in the grow lights and I am ready to start geranium seeds for the spring.
I cleaned out several bookshelves and rearranged my learning-to-read books for kids.
I gve away three bags of this-n-thats to the Good Will.

Float On
1-3-11, 6:56pm
Jan 3: Another trip thru my closet.
1. 1 pair of shoes,
2. 1 purse, and
3. 4 shirts.
4. 7 ink cartridges ready to recycle at Staples and put on the Church Rewards Card. You can only turn in 3 at a time now so I'll have to carry some in the car and make several stops there this week when I pass by that way.

I'm re-reading Throw Out 50 Things.

Gina
1-3-11, 7:32pm
I am neatness challenged, so many of the things I list will be housework-oriented. >8)

Today I did laundry, the dishes (by hand), and cleared and cleaned the kitchen counters and stovetop.

Also tossed some things that had been lurking near the door of the living room.

Last night I went through some shelving in the bathroom and got rid of a number of old free samples.

Also put a few more things in the growing goodwill pile. :+1:

Mrs-M
1-3-11, 7:33pm
Holy Float On, you're really going to town! Great stuff! I'm right behind you just moving at a bit of a slower pace. :)

beckyliz
1-4-11, 3:12pm
DH went through his closet and pulled out a large black lawn bag full of clothes that are in the back of the car now, ready to be dropped off at local clothing bank.

danna
1-4-11, 10:33pm
Jan 04
--3 pair of good barely worn high heel shoes--too high for my old back --to charity
--1 Christmas tin--to charity
--2 gloves missing mates--garbage
--10 good padded hangers but I have bought a new set--to charity--this is the kind of thing I need to stop buying the always newer, better thing..
--will count this as 1 thing I made my Christmas cards into tags ready for next year and recycled the excess paper
--2 old 2010 calendars in the recycling-previously I would have kept to someday (yeah sure) put in frame or do crafts (yeah sure)
Total to date 47 items

Lots of little bits of things, paper etc but not counting those....

Float On
1-5-11, 11:28am
Jan 4:
1. Coupons organized and expired tossed/ what was left purged into what I'll use this week which lead to...
2. Sunday newspaper canc'd because I only get it for the coupons which I rarely use anymore, and I have paper for the garden for this year. Had the remainder of my balance transfered to the newspaper carrier as a tip.
3. Picked three books I bought in the last year that I can relist to sell.

Jan 5:
1. watched monday's episode of Hoarders on the A&E website while I drank my coffee and cleared my office desk area so I can work on bookkeeping and 4th quarter deposit report later today.
2. Listed more things on our Etsy page
3. Cleaned out the fruit/veggie drawers in the fridge (too much had to go to the compost pile) and then made my shopping list

danna - I like that you are keeping a running list of the number of donated/tossed items! I cut the christmas cards into tags for gifts too. I still had quite a few in my christmas box so I only saved the bits I liked best. They do make great tags! Gift wrapping has been so easy the last few years - I use only silver paper for everything year round and collect fun and pretty ribbons in any color. Simple for birthdays, weddings, christmas, etc.. For gift tags other than Christmas I usually print out a photo of that person or somthing they'd like, double side tape it onto a piece of thin cardboard or heavy paper, hole punch it and tie it on with a thin gold or silver cord or ribbon and write a quick note on the back of the photo.

Gina
1-5-11, 11:39am
Earlier today I went through a stack of misc 'clothing'. Put some in goodwill pile, cut up some for rags, and put some into the laundry basket.

Gift wrapping has been so easy the last few years - I use only silver paper for everything year round and collect fun and pretty ribbons in any color.
I bought a large roll of gold paper at a yard sale a few years ago and often do the same thing. So many ribbons just 'go' with gold and silver for every occasion. Makes life simple. I still do have some Christmas wrap however, and should probably give most of it away, ...esp since I no longer regularly give holiday gifts.

DarkStar
1-5-11, 12:49pm
Yesterday I went through a box of old photos and tossed about half of them. I have two more boxes to go - I'll probably get to them later today or this evening, since it's supposed to be a rainy day here.

Float On
1-6-11, 2:18pm
Jan 6:
1. Large Leather padfolio - haven't used it in 4 years.
2. 3 Books
3. 4 of the boys outgrown or unloved sweaters.

needed to add:
Decluttered a sofa and vintage chair/ottoman - and made a little money - but broke a piece of wood trim on the floor in the process (will have to replace).

sweetana3
1-6-11, 3:07pm
1. Sorted all the odd cards that have collected and organized by theme. Should not need to buy any for a couple of years.

2. Delivered four boxes of "stuff" to the thrift store we like.

3. DH sorted out 10 shirts to donate and I included them with #2 above. Now I have 10 hangers so dont need to buy any.

4. I have found 4 boxes of picture frames and will take them to craft group next week and see if anyone wants them for free.

Feels good.

Mrs-M
1-6-11, 10:54pm
Gathered up all of old loose disposable pads (my oldest daughter no longer uses) today while cleaning and organizing the underside of the bathroom counter space, and bagged them up in a large Ziploc bag. Toilet paper packages now have their own spot, lots more room now for soap and other personal care products, and everything is organized (in plain view).

DarkStar
1-7-11, 8:49am
Yesterday I took a bag with some clothes, a book or two, and a picture frame to Goodwill.

Anna Hart
1-7-11, 1:11pm
I love this January is purge month in my house. So right now the house is a disaster. Husband always finds it interesting that my house becomes a mess when I am cleaning. So I have so far done just the bedroom. I have given away; 1 dresser, 2 sweaters, 1 guitar case, 1 coat rack, and tossed a bunch of stuff in the garbage. Yeah for purging.

early morning
1-7-11, 8:22pm
Ok, I'll joining in. Decluttering is challenge for me, because I LIKE my old stuff, and because I truly hate waste and throwing out things that are still useful. Still, I do try. So far this month we've cleaned and organized the craft drawer, removed a bunch of stuff and reorganized both the bottom of a smallish open top cupboard and the dining room side of the pass-through cupboard, dropped of the plastic grocery bags of clothing and misc at GW, and started a box of items to sell at a yard sale or our flea markets. I also took three large plastic coffee cans of household batteries into the recycle center. We don't use that many batteries, but I hate to think of them in the landfill, so I'm the designated battery recycle-er of our extended family. Everyone saves them and I dispose of them. I also declutter my other recycles weekly, does that count??

redfox
1-7-11, 10:06pm
This year, it's all 'out' and no 'in'. I have taken a vow of abstinence from thrift stores, which is huge for me. I often go to Goodwill to decompress from work - it's so handily on my route home - and it's my version of stopping at the corner bar. In other words, bad, bad, bad! If we need anything, I can rely on my DH to find it, or not. He needs some clothes, and is quite self-sufficient getting his own. We have enough of everything else, OMG.

In addition, I'm tackling the kids bathroom & their leftover what-evers, as it's now a guest bathroom. Out goes the hot pink hair dye! Then, rearranging the downstairs laundry room closet to make room for our small upright freezer, so we will use it. It's languishing in the garage, aka my DH's studio. GIven our new frugality, I need to get in the swing of things and cook in large quantities and freeze.

This is helping me deal with the grief of our financial situation. As is this forum. Thanks all for the great sharing.

fidgiegirl
1-8-11, 11:55am
I love this January is purge month in my house. So right now the house is a disaster. Husband always finds it interesting that my house becomes a mess when I am cleaning. So I have so far done just the bedroom. I have given away; 1 dresser, 2 sweaters, 1 guitar case, 1 coat rack, and tossed a bunch of stuff in the garbage. Yeah for purging.

Getting rid of these big items really makes a difference visually. Congrats! I bet it feels good.

fidgiegirl
1-8-11, 11:59am
I am feeling much more willing to let things go into the garbage lately, rather than feeling I have to use it or give it away. Sometimes things are just garbage, and once they are bought, they will either go in the garbage sooner or later. Not that I throw THAT much, just more willing than I was previously.

Luckily DH is on another eBay bent. He is getting rid of more sports cards from his youth (praise the Lord!) and other misc. junk. He is also makin' some $$ at it, which is never a bad thing. He enjoys it, it's a thrill for him to see how much he can get, and now that he is experienced he has a system and doesn't lose money anymore on miscalculating postage or smaller mistakes like he used to make when he was just trying his hand at it.

Float On
1-8-11, 4:22pm
This year, it's all 'out' and no 'in'.
This is helping me deal with the grief of our financial situation. As is this forum. Thanks all for the great sharing.

redfox, I could of written the same thing. We're preparing for a change, could be good/could be bad, but it's got to be better than our current downward spiral. Decluttering like I'm preparing for a move whether we do or not is helping me deal with our financial turmoil.

Got the husband onboard. He cleaned off an 8'wide built in bookshelf in our attic room (office/music area) and he's going thru books and art that were getting a bit dusty on there. So far a laundry basket full of books are ready to go.

Float On
1-10-11, 7:20am
Kids don't have school today - sounds like a good day to have them declutter their bedrooms - and dust - and vac - etc....

sylvia
1-10-11, 11:01am
As far as neatness is concerned, the less stuff kept out , the neater it will look. I am really working hard towards minimalism. It looks peaceful and orderly. I learned in 2010(5 years after joining the old forum)that the unfinished projects and useless things I bought thinking I'd resell or use. I didn't need because it took up mu time in cleaning and sorting and finding a place for it. In the end these beautiful things because damged from being crushed in drawers , closets. etc.Before the new year I donated many useless Christmas trees . I had 4 of them ?For what? So I also donated books I read etc. The books were a breakthrough since I have had them for 20 years. But I figure that I needed to make room for new things. As far as chores, I am getting ny boys on board and dh with vacuuming. Then that will discourage messes since they will have to clean em up.
Dishes are the worst for me.I have a goodwill corner of my dining room with a bag that every garbage day I also donate . it's a wonderful system for me and helps me stay on task.

danna
1-14-11, 10:24pm
Jan 14
Glad to hear you are all doing so good at the decluttering...
I am here to brag a little...I started the month counting items but there would now be too many to count.
Sent 4 of my rubbermaid bins full to a charity. Clothes, books, fabric and Christmas stuff and I don't even miss it.
The actual bins are being sent because they are bigger ones with high lids and they are too heavy to lift when full.
I agree when one starts to let go it gets easier and easier.
Another box is already started. I feel lighter everyday......

Float On
1-15-11, 2:00pm
I didn't do much decluttering this last week but I still have a pillowcase full of things for the thrift shop the next trip to town, mostly magazines that I've looked thru enough and am ready to pass along as well as a few clothing items of the boys.
DH is still 'in process' on the upstairs. He tends to start and get wrapped up in the memories and going thru each and everything and telling me stories. The laundry basket of books still has a pile next to it and the bucket of cleaning supplies is next to it as well. Bugs me to death, but at least it's in the upstairs music/library/office area and not on the main floor so it's 'out of site/out of mind' to me mostly. I'll let him proces that at his own rate. He did get the dresser in the kitchen sorted/cleaned out/decluttered so that was a help.

I would say that mostly the house has never really been 'cluttered', everything has always 'had it's place' but I'm a big believer in 'If I'm not using it or enjoying it - it should go.'

Midwife
1-19-11, 8:59pm
I totally need to do this.... I have reached paralyzed status with my house :( There is so much that needs to be done, and I feel overwhelmed, as soon as I get what I think of as done with an area, and have moved on, the area I just cleaned up becomes trashed again by my delightful offspring... A friend of mine just hired a declutterer to help her reorganize, and get rid of stuff, in part because her hubby is a hoarder, and she was not, and they had reached an impasse until he agreed to do whatever the declutterer recommended!

Gina
1-20-11, 2:26pm
I just took the first load of 2011 to the thriftstore drop off. :cool:

Hopefully all those items will find homes to continue their intended lives. I have hoarding tendencies and really have to be careful. I always find it difficult getting rid of things I like whether I use them or not. I really want to keep it all....Sigh.

babr
1-20-11, 5:43pm
with just a gentle touch dh started parting with his large wardrobe so far he has donated 7 items which is a big deal; he hates to part with things; its a start and i won't hound him; he isn't after me to clean out my underwear drawer; i also donated two items from clothing; just need time to do more

razz
1-20-11, 6:53pm
Love this challenge! I had a new kitchen countertop installed today and in preparation, moved everything out of the shelves below the counter and off the counter. I have boxed up a 4 piece 'toadstool' cannister set that DH bought me in 1970. (Imagine it being 41 years old and still in use.) I also boxed up some extra pyrex mixing bowls that I have not used in years. I was pretty throrough in 2008 in a decluttering so not too much more to do in the kitchen.

bicyclist
1-22-11, 12:14pm
My latest decluttering feat was to donate 14 pairs of socks to a drive sponsored by the local Whole Foods Market for homeless people. I also figured out that the people waiting for a train at our station will take old copies of the New Yorker magazine and other reading matter. The six copies I left at the station were gone in two hours! The thrift store where I am taking old clothes and household items has great music c.d.'s for sale which I am enjoying. The recycling lifestyle suits me well.

Bicyclist

redfox
1-22-11, 3:31pm
I sent all our past Smithsonian mag home with the cool guy who replaced our hot water tank. I am being ruthless in getting rid of old mags. My parents give us the Smithsonian subscription, and I love it... but then it's done. I bring home mags every so often that tempt me, and they are pricey - $5 a pop!

Stella
1-22-11, 4:10pm
I'm on a decluttering kick right now. Zach took several loads of stuff, mostly linens, to the thrift store today. He also took an old monitor he didn't need anymore to Best Buy for recycling.

One of the things I'm working on this year is replacing things I've inherited and don't love with things I do love. In that spirit I'm donating some serving dishes I really don't want or need and I'm going to buy myself a couple of bowls I really do like. I am also donating my electric tea kettle. I don't mind heating water on the stove and while the electric one works a little faster it also takes up space.

Rosemary
1-22-11, 4:39pm
I dropped a box at Goodwill last week. Sold 6 books this month. Took 1 bag of books to the used book store, and have another bag ready to go. A bag of old towels is waiting in the car to drop at the Humane Society, and when I was cleaning out our pantry last week I found 6 cans of cat food that our senior cat, departed from us a year ago, was eating in her last day - so they'll go to the Humane Society as well.

kib
1-22-11, 8:26pm
I sent all our past Smithsonian mag home with the cool guy who replaced our hot water tank. I am being ruthless in getting rid of old mags. My parents give us the Smithsonian subscription, and I love it... but then it's done. I bring home mags every so often that tempt me, and they are pricey - $5 a pop!
Oh I am SO bad about this. I only get two subscriptions and I feel both are really worth it, but while one has projects I might actually do at a later time, the other is purely cerebral - I read it and either remember or forget. So what's it doing on my shelf 2 years later???

kib
1-22-11, 8:38pm
I'm on a decluttering kick right now. Funny how it goes, isn't it? I know you've been quasi-bed-ridden, I have no decent excuse. For two months I simply worked around the existing clutter, and suddenly a couple of days ago it's like something loosened up again and I'm just thrilled with the prospect of going a layer deeper. Goodbye magazines, goodbye rag rug project I'm Never going to do, goodbye piles of wax, hello 2 new candles. The train is moving once again. :cool:

Stella
1-23-11, 11:12am
That's exactly how I am kib. I think that decluttering is both freeing and a little draining, so sometimes I just get to the point where I need to leave things until the next kick.

Float On
1-23-11, 4:18pm
Decluttered around 70 concrete blocks from my garden and made $50 and got a little exercise to boot!

Anna Hart
1-23-11, 5:30pm
I finished decluttering my bedroom, livingroom, and t.v. room about 3 weeks ago. It was great to get rid of stuff but I found it exhausting. I took a bit of a break but this week I am tackling my kitchen. I didn't go through my clothes because it breaks my heart to get rid of clothes - I have an issue. I need to build up to that.

danna
1-23-11, 8:35pm
Jan23
sold a cabinet we did not need for $40.00 on Kijiji....big item gone spare bedroom looks much more spacious...

Anne Lee
1-24-11, 9:16am
I cleared off the shelf in my closet. Some old clothes went to the dump, others are going to the thrift store.

A week or two ago I got rid of a lot of plastic shopping bags. I donated them to the food pantry so their shoppers could have a way to carry stuff home. That cleared out enough space so the baking sheets have a home.

iris lily
1-24-11, 10:07am
We are painting kitchen cabinets which requires everything comes out. We have a lot of cabinets. This should, under normal circumstances, cause lots of extra unused junk to leave. But so far little of it is being tossed.How many cookie cutters in the shape of Santa and a tree do we need? 1. How many heart shaped ones do we need? well, at least 2 because I make heart shaped cookies for Valentine's day now and then. See, it's hard to get rid of these. I have a springform pan and an Angel food pan that I NEVER use.

Float On
1-25-11, 11:21am
Decluttered the husband.

Well....just for a few weeks. He left yesterday morning for FL for an art show. I know the kitchen table will stay free of his clutter piles while he's gone.

babr
1-27-11, 4:44pm
well i cleaned a chair off in the bedroom; decluttered desk which then the next day recluttered itself; damnedable thing!

Float On
1-29-11, 2:47pm
Decluttered the fish pond of leaves and stuff.
Sold a book on half.com so need to get that packed and ready for the post office. I always wrap in bubblewrap and cut a paper grocery bag to wrap around that.

Midwife
1-29-11, 8:08pm
Decluttered the husband.

Well....just for a few weeks. He left yesterday morning for FL for an art show. I know the kitchen table will stay free of his clutter piles while he's gone.

This is one of those great posts, where I wish there was a 'Like" button!! Cracked me up :D

Float On
1-30-11, 7:28pm
Midwife - I've looked for the 'like' button a few times myself. There has to be a 'like' smilie face out there somewhere.

EarthSky
1-30-11, 9:12pm
This is a very motivating thread. Hope there is a February Challenge so the newbies can join in!

kib
1-30-11, 10:48pm
:+1:

it's sort of lame, if anyone has a better one I'd be glad to put it in. Does the facebook Like smiley actually have an emoticon or is it just labeled "like"?

I like this little one but he's not quite "like" I guess ...

http://serve.mysmiley.net/sign/sign0200.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/freesmiley.php?smiley=sign/sign0200.gif)

Float On
1-30-11, 11:27pm
Thanks kib! I like both. I know another forum I was on had the Woot! one. The Facebook is just a like button. You can click that you like someone's post or put in a comment. There aren't really emoticon on FB.

And yes EarthSky - I'll start a February one on Tuesday (I hope people feel like they can jump in anytime).