PDA

View Full Version : Should we trust cloud data storage companies?

TSL
1-20-15, 8:08am
Hi all,

Some minimalists opt to trust their valuable memories to a service providers and upload photos, paperwork etc to cloud data storage companies and then destroy the originals.

If you were to go the same route, would you be concerned about your cloud account being hacked and possibly your identity being stolen? Would you trust the cloud data storage provider not to go out of business? Would you trust the cloud data storage providers not to loose your data?

What do you think? Please share your views.

SteveinMN
1-20-15, 3:39pm
I think the cloud is just one more thing where the benefits outweigh the negatives. Every cloud provider can be hacked. But I'm no more concerned about a hacker hitting my cloud provider than I am any other Web site that keeps personal information about me.

I just try to pick providers that are not evil to start with (exit Google which is mining all the data I store with them) and which have better resources with which to protect themselves (for instance, Apple probably has a few more folks on their iCloud security team than Bill & Ted's Most Excellent Cloud Service or the farmed-out cloud services that come with many apps).

ToomuchStuff
1-20-15, 8:13pm
If your going to use the cloud, then several recommendations.
The cloud should not be your only access in the event of power failure, etc. for important documents.
You should use encryption, where you know the passphrase to unlock it, so it is encrypted before uploading it. (and you should always test it after uploading/downloading)

I know of a few horror stories, and I know for the paranoid, you can't stop man in the middle attacks (NSA, Cybercriminals, etc), or harware failure.