PDA

View Full Version : What I now know about myself

TxZen
1-27-15, 2:54pm
1. I have a desire to live smaller but no desire to live in anything less than 900 square feet. Layout is key with me.
2. I rather just have one job, be smart about my paycheck than trying to run a side business to make up for whatever $$$ I feel I need to earn. Better choices!!
3. I like travelling and being able to fit everything I need into a carry on. It's taken me years to learn my lesson on packing/travelling.
4. I am an introvert at home. I like spending time either by myself or with my hubby and son and my pets.
5. I am an extrovert when I am out but have to set limits. I now know when I am getting worn out and need a break from the crowds or even being with people. Setting limits- lesson learned this year.
6. I am not the things I thought I wanted to be or even proclaimed I wanted to be. I can be satisfied with just being in the now-present.

Clarity is nice.

What things are you certain of?

catherine
1-27-15, 4:07pm
What things are you certain of?

Not much.

I'm glad I'm not young anymore--I'm certain of that.

Lainey
1-27-15, 8:04pm
1. I'm certain that, despite my hippie leanings, I'm an indoor person and do not fit into the mold of a Sierra Club hiker as much as I might otherwise admire their environmentalism.

2. I'm also not a natural exerciser, although I have tried over the years, I can't ever stick with it. Just too many other things I'd rather do, and so I've accepted that my more sedentary lifestle has probably shaved off a few years of natural life - oh well.

3. It's not necessary for me to like everyone or everyone to like me in a professional setting, but we all have to work alongside each other so we may just have to make the best of it and carry on. This was something I finally realized while working in an almost all-male department, and is still something I think men can do better than women.

4. I'm sure that some spiritual exploration can beneficial over a lifetime, but also sure that no one religion is the only way to happiness just as non-religious people can reach happiness in their own way.

JaneV2.0
1-27-15, 8:28pm
I might have written all four of your points, Lainey. You saved me the trouble!:)

ApatheticNoMore
1-27-15, 8:37pm
1) I have a fairly strong need for economic security, more than I would like, but safety needs are oh so basic, and I'm wired with a bit high strung nervous system anyway (the things that could change this, I don't know, a second income perhaps for obvious reasons. But I've always just relied on myself as an unmarried person. Maybe years of meditation :) ).

2) I don't really like to think about money, as it mostly makes me unhappy, so yea I'm probably better off NOT doing so, and that means automating some savings etc. (which I have mostly done right now - a lot is automated).

TxZen
1-28-15, 9:09am
I will add:
1. I can be kind without giving away all my energy.
2. It's ok to start over- even after the 8th, 12th or 100th time.
3. People talk a lot of talk but they don't walk the walk when it's time- it's nothing personal against me.
4. I like order- chaos sends me into overdrive. This can be at home, in my office, even in my car. I like it clean, neat and organized and if it's not, it greatly affects my energy and mood.

CP1970
4-7-15, 7:51pm
1. I will always be single. I've made it this far without anybody, I guess I can go on like this. It means not only missing love, but also a possible second paycheck coming in, and 1 less person to plan a retirement for.
2. I live in one of the most expensive and overtaxed states in the country. But I can not leave. Family is here, and it is so enticingly close to NYC, which I love. My many trips to the city are refreshing jaunts out of the conformity of the stale, bland and cookie cutter NJ suburbs.
3. I love the weird and bohemian, my home will never be in Architectural Digest.
4. I am not career minded. I want to do my job and go home. I don't want more responsibilities.I don't care for office politics.
5. My love affair with the car is over. It is to get me from point A to point B. It does not have to impress anyone.
I am sure I will add to this, but this is what popped into my head right now! :)

iris lilies
4-7-15, 7:59pm
1. I really like cities and the built environment. Show me slides of the Grand Canyon and Yosemite and Alaska etc., that's good enough, I don't need to visit there.
2. I am a cat person who has temporarily stepped into dog-land.
3. I learn more about people and their situations from a well written novel than from non-fiction.
4. I am blessedly unaware of what people think of me. That serves me well 'most all of the time.

sweetana3
4-7-15, 8:44pm
Iris Lilies, Love yours and would fit me too.

I dont want to live in a city with less than 1 million people. Dont mind close living but want access to things I need to be close.
I am a cat person who would like to try dog-land. Hubby vehemently against it though.
I dont care what people think of me any longer. I like my grey hair and sneakers.
I love love love retirement and its freedom.

pinkytoe
4-7-15, 9:32pm
I am quiet by nature and love silence - up to a point. Community is important to me.
I need balance and order in my life. Messes unsettles me except in the natural world.
I prefer information and nonfiction over fiction. I blame that on the internet.
I am no longer a dog person and prefer cats and birds.
I don't get ostentatious, excessive or wasteful houses, cars, lifestyles.
I have to have some exposure to the natural world every day.
DH says I am much too silly so I must be. Looking at life as absurd is a natural state for me.

Songbird
4-7-15, 10:04pm
The older I get the more I'm certain there is nothing I'm certain of....

goldensmom
4-8-15, 6:30am
Not much.

I'm glad I'm not young anymore--I'm certain of that.

Me too. The older I get, the more I realize how much I thought I knew when I was young but really didn't know. Few things are really important and there is nothing that I need to waste my time worrying about.

ctg492
4-8-15, 8:31am
I learned more about myself in the last few months then the last 54 years.

Dog Person
I am good alone and not lonely
HOME is where I want to be, Dorothy said it best
Outdoors is where I want to be for all my daytimes
My own bed to return to every night
Knowing my Loved family is safe and happy means a great deal to me, without me taking care of them
Money in the bank means freedom and security I never want to worry about money
Making my own food
Wearing what I want
Gardening,Biking,Walking, Running

I too feel no need to see the world, I can read and do about many places, they are all too far from my home. I no longer worry, it solved nothing. I hope to stay put in the home I am in now after 29 or 30 moves, I can make this place what I want and need nothing more now.

SteveinMN
4-8-15, 9:28am
I'd rather have a little of the best than a lot of the ordinary.
I do not deal well with "high maintenance" -- people, possessions, or systems.
It is better to be alone than wish I were.
Silence does not have to be fearsome.
Form does not follow function; nor does it lead. They go hand in hand.
Computers are easier to figure out than people -- and certainly more consistent.
My prime directive is to ask myself "What would love do now?"

iris lilies
4-8-15, 12:14pm
Iris Lilies, Love yours and would fit me too.

I dont want to live in a city with less than 1 million people. Dont mind close living but want access to things I need to be close.
I am a cat person who would like to try dog-land. Hubby vehemently against it though.
I dont care what people think of me any longer. I like my grey hair and sneakers.
I love love love retirement and its freedom.

Our coordinator of Bulldog Rescue says that bulldogs are similar to cats in nature.I'm not entirely sure why she said that, but maybe that's why I like bulldogs so much. I find them to be so much smarter than cats, and yet, so much dumber than cats. It's a conundrum.

creaker
4-8-15, 5:31pm
As I've gotten older I've become more accepting that I don't need to know or be certain of some things - that there are things that can remain unanswered and unknown and that I can let go of - and that's just fine.

It's kind of like mental uncluttering.

LDAHL
4-14-15, 5:31pm
I have learned:

To never try to prove I'm the smartest guy in the room. It never ends well.

There may be people who can time the market, but I'm not one of them.

I prefer single malt scotch, but I'm not a fanatic about it.

Up to a certain point money can in fact buy happiness.

Blaming anyone but myself for my problems/failures is unproductive (if not necessarily unjustified).

If someone is reckless enough to love you, let them.

Don't attribute to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity.

Never draw on an inside straight.

Despair is a form of cowardice.

kib
4-14-15, 6:56pm
Laughing at myself. I've been sitting here for ten minutes and I can't think of a damn thing I know for sure.

Gardenarian
4-14-15, 7:14pm
I am only certain that I am on a journey, and that I am growing and becoming stronger.

sylvia
11-28-15, 5:43pm
I look conservative and boring on the outside but have a crazy adventurous imagination and personality on the inside.
Just observed that so who knows what messages Im sending to people on the outside. Im shy but outgoing at the same time and I love to travel but want to sleep in my own bed everyday.I am a westerner dreaming of living in the east. One day I want to have nothing , owe no one. I think I am pretty paradoxical I think I am artistic but dont know how to express wanting to be bohemian. Im honest to a fault and crave genuine conversation. Im lonely but crave being alone. Im a big family person but dont really know my roots. I have a lot to learn still, Im always learning.

TxZen
11-28-15, 6:21pm
I look conservative and boring on the outside but have a crazy adventurous imagination and personality on the inside.
Just observed that so who knows what messages Im sending to people on the outside. Im shy but outgoing at the same time and I love to travel but want to sleep in my own bed everyday.I am a westerner dreaming of living in the east. One day I want to have nothing , owe no one. I think I am pretty paradoxical I think I am artistic but dont know how to express wanting to be bohemian. Im honest to a fault and crave genuine conversation. Im lonely but crave being alone. Im a big family person but dont really know my roots. I have a lot to learn still, Im always learning.

Holy cow..we are so alike!! :)

Trimatty471
12-10-15, 7:09pm
1. I will always be single. I've made it this far without anybody, I guess I can go on like this. It means not only missing love, but also a possible second paycheck coming in, and 1 less person to plan a retirement for.
2. I live in one of the most expensive and overtaxed states in the country. But I can not leave. Family is here, and it is so enticingly close to NYC, which I love. My many trips to the city are refreshing jaunts out of the conformity of the stale, bland and cookie cutter NJ suburbs.
3. I love the weird and bohemian, my home will never be in Architectural Digest.
4. I am not career minded. I want to do my job and go home. I don't want more responsibilities.I don't care for office politics.
5. My love affair with the car is over. It is to get me from point A to point B. It does not have to impress anyone.
I am sure I will add to this, but this is what popped into my head right now! :)

I could have written #4 and #5 myself. I have nothing to add.

sylvia
12-11-15, 12:13pm
LOL TxZen that's too funny!!!I went to Catholic School and was the "good ,polite young Lady" but I have a feeling the older I get like in my 60's I'm gonna be living somewhere like Key West walking barefoot through town collecting shells on the beach and loving it!

pony mom
12-11-15, 9:05pm

1,2 (I'm in NJ too!) and 4 sound like me.