PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln,MA

ctg492
1-30-15, 7:02am
I am planning my trip to Walden Woods in Lincoln, MA. Thinking late Spring would be a nice time of year. My route will be from MI. If you are from that area or have been there is that a nice time weather wise?

herbgeek
1-30-15, 9:43am
June is beautiful. May's weather can be nice, but you also have black flies then, which can make walking in the woods pretty miserable.

rosarugosa
1-30-15, 7:53pm
Herbgeek: I'll defer to you if you are more familiar with Lincoln specifically, but we don't get black flies in my neck of the woods (a little north of Boston). I think Lincoln is somewhere between us?
I've taken a week off from work in May for most of my adult life, and those weeks have ranged from glorious to relentlessly rainy and cold, and sometimes we're running the furnace full tilt at the beginning of the week and we've lugged out the fans by the end of the week. In other words, a total crap shoot :)
Ctg492: I'll wish for glorious on your behalf.

Miss Cellane
1-30-15, 9:47pm
If you are going to be *in* the woods, bring waterproof boots. Could be mud season. And since we seem to be getting a bit of snow this year, it could take until May to melt.

ctg492
1-31-15, 2:24pm
Thanks I am rather excited about this solo trip!

miradoblackwarrior
1-31-15, 3:52pm
Hi--
I'd avoid Memorial Day if I were you. Too many tourists. And the last time I was there I was tuned off by the admission price. Go a little off season, if you can. You can rent canoes in Concord and paddle down the Charles, picnic on Lexington green, or eat fancy-schmancy in either Lexington or Concord. Mid-May might be best (my opinion), because you avoid a lot of crowds.
Susan

Float On
1-31-15, 8:19pm
but you also have black flies then, which can make walking in the woods pretty miserable.

Had to laugh at your black flies comment. My husband and his brother found the old family estate on the shore a few years ago they came back and reported that they figured out why the family had moved from the estate.....black flies.

ctg492
2-1-15, 5:21am
Thanks, I stay clear of all holidays when going places. I think we were the only ones to have a cabin in the north and miss every Memorial Day, Labor Day and 4th.
Will I find it to be overly touristy? My other trip very soon is to Rock City. I am sure that will be touristy, but the views will still be beautiful.

Miss Cellane
2-1-15, 9:38am
Thanks, I stay clear of all holidays when going places. I think we were the only ones to have a cabin in the north and miss every Memorial Day, Labor Day and 4th.
Will I find it to be overly touristy? My other trip very soon is to Rock City. I am sure that will be touristy, but the views will still be beautiful.

The various organizations involved with Walden Woods and Walden Pond have done a pretty good job, IMO, in keeping things pretty non-touristy.

Now, Lexington and Concord are big tourist towns, with MinuteMan Park and all the authors' homes in the area, so especially in the summer and school vacations, there are a lot of tourists. So the general area outside the two parks will be touristy.

Walden Pond is a state park, but the number of visitors is strictly limited there. You can walk around the pond--there's a trail.

I haven't been to the greater Walden Woods in ages, so things may have changed, but I remember there were some trails and we spent the day hiking.

Gardenarian
2-3-15, 2:10am
June is beautiful, tho' could be too chilly for swimming. I lived very near Walden pond- lots of nice walking trails. And do spend some time in Concord- there is so much history there, and it's charming. A bit touristy, but the north bridge and minuteman park, orchard house..all worth it. There is a great place for canoe rentals in Concord- nice way to see the sights and avoid the crowds.