PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm chicken lady

Chicken lady
2-6-15, 6:46am
and I'm a hoarder.

not that I would qualify for the show, I've come a long way. but I'm not there yet and every day is a struggle. You could probably clear all the beds and chairs and tables and corner piles in my living space in an hour - but you'd have nowhere to put the stuff away. And the basement - well, there are paths and you don't have to turn sideways and everything above my shoulders is on a shelf and very unlikely to fall unless we had an earthquake.

The process was complicated almost two years ago when my grandmother died, leaving behind a huge house packed full of really nice things and only 5 households inheriting - two already in their 70's with full homes. That's the side of the family the hoarding gene comes from and it took until this past christmas to finish clearing the house. the emotional trauma is still pretty raw and all tied up in the stuff.

I live in the country in a medium sized house - it sort of has four bedrooms, except one is a 7x12 enclosed and finished porch and one is a half story finished attic. I also have two really messy barns. And three grown children - two still in and out for college, who are storing all their stuff here, including former 4h projects that still have to be fed.

I work part time as an art teacher, so I always have a use for anything, and I love thrift stores. "chicken lady" is a nickname I got from a junk dealer at one of the thrift stores. because I was deliverinng eggs to some of the employees.

So I'm working on finding a new balance in my life as an empty nester, and trying to actually empty the nest. I've been reading for a couple of months and I'm hoping to find some support in the organizing section for those days when I need positive reinforcement for normal behavior like throwing out worn out shoes - the people in my real life are pretty sick of the whole process.

Float On
2-6-15, 7:14am
Hello chicken lady and welcome.
Try not to look at the whole project as something that has to be done today. Allow yourself to do this slowly since you are also processing some memories along with all the 'stuff'. Tackle one of the bedrooms and then move on to another. Also...try to make decisions as you go and act on that decision, don't just shuffle things from one room to another to decide later. You want to move these items once...not 6 times.
Good luck in this journey. As you uncover space you'll probably find less stress.

catherine
2-6-15, 7:41am
Hello, Chicken lady!

Yes, organizing and removing clutter is a huge theme here, so welcome! I hope you find what you need to reach your simple living organizing goals.

You see that we have some daily challenges with regard to getting rid of stuff, and the organizing thread also has several methods, tools and techniques.

cdttmm
2-6-15, 7:52am
Welcome, chicken lady!

SteveinMN
2-8-15, 4:26pm
Welcome!

I will add one of my favorite sayings when it comes to behavior modification: "I didn't get like this overnight; I'm not going to fix it that fast, either." :-)

Packy
2-21-15, 3:59am
Hi, Chicken Lady! Don't let anything I say here annoy you too much. Some people find me very annoying. That said, I was wondering: Do you have any Packard parts you'd like to find a home for?

Chicken lady
2-21-15, 8:17am
Hi Packy! I'm sorry, do not have any packard parts. I do have a badly rusted 1998 dodge Durango that is still running and destined to someday be put up on blocks, cannabilized for parts for the dodge pick-up, and used as goat shelter!

I am so excited that you replied to my thread!

artist
2-21-15, 4:21pm
Hi and welcome.

I too am adjusting to life as an empty nester. My son got married last year and is finishing up his undergrade this semester. We are storing much of his childhood toys (lincoln logs, legos etc...) and while I don't like storing his things, I know he has no place for it in his single wide trailer and since dh and I are somewhat minimalists, we have more than enough storage space for it. Thought to be honest it bothers me to store things we don't use. Dh and I try to live with only those things that we actually need/use on a regular basis. I am actually getting ready to go through the closets, cabinets etc.. to make sure that what we have we use, remove things we don't use and donate them and make a list of anything we do use that needs replacing due to being unrepairable.

CathyA
2-21-15, 4:35pm
Welcome Chicken lady!

Chicken lady
2-21-15, 7:40pm
Thank you for the welcomes!

Artist, I don't mind storing things for my kids. I really appreciated a lot of the stuff my parents saved for me. But I want them to take it when they have space/kids. Right now my oldest lives in a broom closet - it holds her single bed, a desk, a chair, and a Rubbermaid drawer stack of clothes. My son lives with six guys straight out of a frat comedy, and the baby is in a dorm room.

I am working my way through my stuff though. There is too much of that.

Songbird
2-22-15, 2:22am
cow-hiHello Chicken lady!! Welcome!!