PDA

View Full Version : Multi generational friendships.

ToomuchStuff
2-12-15, 8:10pm
I went to a funeral today, for someone (who reminds me so much of Stevie Nicks and her mom), whose father died. Our families have been friends for at least three (maybe four) generations. A few years ago, I went to her grandfathers funeral and had to decline as her sister looks like a younger version of Stevie Nicks (but more of her father) as well and it was a Coupling funeral (TV show) moment.
I find it so strange that our families are not as close but I expect that happens when one tends to have boys and another tends to have girls and such (either the kids get together or grow apart).

This is both a kind of rant (getting things out there) as well as wondering how rare or common are these type of friendships? I can't really say I have seen any that went more then two generations, and feel sad that ours is closing, while at the same time find myself attracted to this gal that I rarely see anymore.

lessisbest
2-13-15, 4:54am
I live in the same rural area where both mine and my husbands families have lived since the 1850'-60's. I've been to a LOT of funerals out of respect for the families and their link to our family in the past, not necessarily because I was close to them. I suspect I will be the last generation to do so. Many of these families also attended church with us, and that was a close bond, as well as attending a small school with their children.

Lainey
2-13-15, 4:54pm
My extended family has not experienced those multi-generational friendships, but I have to say I'm glad that you attend these funerals out of respect for those neighbors and families. I'm afraid it's something that many people feel they can skip and just send a card or flowers, but simply taking a few hours out of your day to be with someone at these sad events is an enormous human kindness.

SteveinMN
2-14-15, 11:08am
I'm guessing multi-generational friendships will become less and less common. It's just harder to attend funerals/weddings/christenings/etc. (formal occasions that mark friendship) when people live many hours away. More so as people choose to overbook their daily 24 hours.

Minnesota is a bit of an anachronism in that so many people who were born here stay here -- and that the climate and such tend to keep people from moving in (as they do to warmer or busier areas). Yesterday we were passing around first-day baby pictures of the daughter of some friends of ours. It seems likely to me that there will be some multi-generational friendships out of this set of people because we're all geographically located, there isn't a lot of wanderlust, and most of these folks -- especially the kids -- have been together their lives already. But I see such friendships happening far less frequently. I count myself lucky I fell into it myself.