PDA

View Full Version : How much to you spend per year on haircuts?

Reyes
2-13-15, 12:01am
Curious how much others spend per year on haircuts. I spend about $300 (roughly a cut every eight weeks at $45 inclusive of tip). What is your number?

lessisbest
2-13-15, 5:38am
I cut my own short "bob" and budget $20 for it each month for a total of $240. I've done this for about 12-years now because I couldn't find a place of business that wasn't toxic with nail and hair chemicals which causes me breathing problems. I probably should increase it to $25. This money goes into the Christmas/Emergency Fund Account at the bank along with the $1 bills I save each month.

Hubby pays his barber $15, and when his barber retires, I'll cut his hair, too. $180

herbgeek
2-13-15, 7:18am
$25 every 5-6 weeks, so $250 tops. Color at home $7 every 4-5 weeks, adding another $90.

Float On
2-13-15, 8:12am
I maybe spend $50 a year on me. I cut my own. But about once every 2 years I get a cut in the salon just for some pampering. It's long and wavy/curly so not to hard to do. I also cut the boys. DH gets his cut in the salon about every 3 months. Probably $100 a year. Our salon friend has her own punch card sort of deal and it works out that there is a free cut every 2 years, sometimes I'll use that one.

Float On
2-13-15, 8:13am
This money goes into the Christmas/Emergency Fund Account at the bank along with the $1 bills I save each month.

I love that you pay yourself - great plan.

catherine
2-13-15, 8:22am
I spent $283 on grooming in 214 and of that, $110 was for 3 haircuts. The rest was for box dye (someday I'll let it go, but it's a business expense right now, and I don't have the right coloring for grey--I look mousy, and dull) and drug store cosmetics, shampoo, deodorant, stuff like that.

razz
2-13-15, 8:42am
With fine really straight hair, I indulge in a good cut about 6-8 weeks after which I look shaggy so spend $35 per cut and consider that my one big personal indulgence.

cdttmm
2-13-15, 9:09am
$38.50 (haircut + tip) every 5-6 weeks for approximately $346.50 for the year

pinkytoe
2-13-15, 9:51am
Haircuts are the one line item in my expense tally from last year of which I am most aghast - $478. I once read that my city has the highest average price for haircuts of any US city. It is hard to find a stylist (unless one goes to Supercuts) that charges less than $40 for a simple cut. The average is $55. My hair grows extremely fast so that doesn't help. It is a ridiculous amount given I don't do anything else but get simple haircuts every 5-6 weeks. I would love to know how to cut my own like lessisbest but so far, any attempts have not been successful.

ToomuchStuff
2-13-15, 10:26am
I don't always go once a month, sometimes it can be six weeks between. $20 a time so at most $240, and I can have her come to us, or go to her. (she started cutting several of our hairs in a friends house when she started school, and she lives down the street one way, her parents the other)

lessisbest
2-13-15, 10:30am
Everyone is to be congratulated for being frugal. According to an article on Huff Po awhile back, "women can spend anywhere from $900-$10,000 a year on their hair." SHOCKING! :0!

domestic goddess
2-13-15, 11:40am
Nothing. I didn't cut my hair for about 5 years. Got a great cut from our neighbor, who is a hairstylist. She trims and colors dd's hair as needed, at our house. She also has trimmed and colored my granddaughters' hair. Doesn't charge us.

Glo
2-13-15, 12:03pm
DH and I go to the same person every 6-8 weeks. Total for both of us: $34 plus $10 tip. Totally worth it for us as I'm vain and like to be well groomed.

SiouzQ.
2-13-15, 12:06pm
I am almost a year into having dreadlocks and just looked back and saw I spent $452 last year getting this hairstyle started! I imagined it would be much cheaper to have my hair this way, but I guess it was not possible the first year when they are getting established. Last March I went in for the initial appointment, which was several hours long getting all the locks created. I had to go back a month later to get them tightened and preened, then again in the middle of the summer after my trip to the desert. The last time I went in was six months later (December). I needed them neatened up for a family wedding I was going to. So, yes, expensive the first year but I have saved a lot of time and hassle with daily haircare and saved a lot of money on hair products.

So now that the locks are quite firmly in place, I probably only need to go back once a year to get tightened and "reorganized." I really love this hairstyle; I think it really suits me! And my locks are getting so long! I have to tie them back for work; my bundle of braids is so thick I can barely get a large elastic hairband around them! And I have yet to find a winter hat that fits, so when I have to be out shoveling snow or something, I've just been wrapping a large scarf around my head. However, I do need to find some sort of straw cowboy hat-type thing for when I am in the desert next June.

kib
2-13-15, 12:22pm
About $15 on henna. $0 on cuts.

My hair doesn't thrill me, but I don't like it any better when I have it professionally serviced, I always come away feeling ugly and angry. This way I feel sort of unattractive and irritated, but at least I still have $20 (or $220, the cost of the last professional disaster) in my pocket. >8)

Packratona!
2-13-15, 2:28pm
We spend $20 every two years on hair. I cut my husband's hair, have him or a friend cut mine or I cut my own, then once every two years I have my hair permed and cut for $20 at a local public school occupational training center.

profnot
2-13-15, 6:26pm
$25 every 5-6 weeks, so $250 tops. Color at home $7 every 4-5 weeks, adding another $90.

Same here. I have wavy hair and it took a long time to find someone good enough in the lower cost salons. Wavy is hard to cut. I was paying $45 and up before i found Judy.

I also leave with wet hair to avoid the dry and style fee.

rosarugosa
2-13-15, 9:06pm
OK, I'll admit to falling within the national average: $80 cut & color every 4 weeks.

Blackdog Lin
2-13-15, 10:24pm
Per my Quicken: in 2014 I spent $54.00 on haircuts. DH cuts (shaves) his own hair/head.

Quicken also says I spent $292.00 on what I call toiletries. Call 1/5 of that hair care. $60.00/year. So less than $120.00/yr. on hair care. I can live with that.

:)

pony mom
2-13-15, 11:01pm
Right now I spend $0 because my coworkers at the salon cut it for me : ) Before that, I was spending $30 plus tip every eight weeks or so. My salon is pretty pricey with cuts going for $50. I'll buy my own color for about $6 and it lasts for two applications and someone will apply it for me (it's demipermanent color---when I need permanent I'll use organic, which is more expensive). My hair is really short so it needs to be totally cut at least every 6-8 weeks.

Packratona!
2-14-15, 11:28am
Pretty shocking. I am amazed that persons saving little or nothing for retirement spend as much as they do on hair each month. Just think if they socked part or all of that same amount faithfully each month into a good savings vehicle starting from their late teens to early twenties. Just $200 a month saved, starting at age 18, you will be a millionaire by the time you are 55 and earlier if you invest it to get better than 8% average growth.

SteveinMN
2-14-15, 12:46pm
$18 every 4-6 weeks for a haircut, so about $200 for the year. And a package of combs to make up for the ones I inevitably lose. The dog gets far more expensive cuts than I do. One only hopes she won't need them every 4-6 weeks....

Tradd
2-14-15, 1:55pm
$40 (that includes a brow wax, too) every 6-8 weeks. 6 weeks is better, so about $350. I color it myself about every 2 months. I have a short cut and my hair grows incredibly fast.

lessisbest
2-15-15, 6:52am
Pretty shocking. I am amazed that persons saving little or nothing for retirement spend as much as they do on hair each month. Just think if they socked part or all of that same amount faithfully each month into a good savings vehicle starting from their late teens to early twenties. Just $200 a month saved, starting at age 18, you will be a millionaire by the time you are 55 and earlier if you invest it to get better than 8% average growth.

I can give you an even worse case scenario.... I have a friend who spends over $500/month on her many lavish and exotic pets, hundreds more each month on make-up, hair and nails, as well as clothing, collectables, and general "crap" she doesn't need, but can't keep up her car payment and got a visit from the repo man.

She's been a lifelong friend, and one day she asked me about making homemade laundry detergent with Borax, Washing Soda and soap bars so she could save a little money. After I quit laughing, I took her hands in mine, looked her strait in the eyes and told her the cost of laundry detergent wasn't her problem and helped her with a REAL budget. At the time, we were both 60-years old (now 62). She had been a career woman and had the total amount of $0 set aside for retirement. I, on the other hand, had been a stay-at-home mom. When they opened up IRA's for non-workers, I started an account and funded it to the maximum each year with my home-based business. She still can't stick to a budget, I'm sorry to say.

kib
2-16-15, 1:24pm
She still can't stick to a budget, I'm sorry to say. I'm veering off topic, but I think this really does sum it up. Education is a big part of saving, investing, retirement and generally living within one's means, but it's not rocket science; I think for most people of reasonable means who still can't seem to manage their money, underneath it's a matter of conscious or unconscious unwillingness. The feeling that living without limits is a punishment, or a sense of entitlement that tells them they shouldn't have to be bothered with these things or with making choices, or perhaps a fear of material scarcity that overwhelms common sense. I have tried to help people in the past and come to the same lesson: there are those who really want to change and learn, and there are those who want a magical no limits, no work wand to wave.

ApatheticNoMore
2-16-15, 2:22pm
None, because I tend to neglect my appearance to some degree, especially hair cuts, of all the things to waste precious weekend time on, getting a haircut! I'm not actually unattractive though. But maybe I should resolve to get a haircut. I can do it! :laff: I could even resolve to do it at least once a year! Uh someday ...

crunchycon
2-16-15, 4:41pm
$25, tip included about every 8-9 weeks. So that's about $150-ish. I don't color my hair and haven't had a perm since the late eighties, which helps keep the cost down.

jp1
2-16-15, 4:46pm
$0. SO needed a new beard trimmer about 4 years ago but mistakenly bought a regular barber's hair trimmer. (not sure how he managed that one...) Since I've long had a basic buzz cut I asked him to start doing my haircuts and he has been ever since. Saves me $19 every 3 weeks. Savings of almost $1,300 so far, minus whatever SO paid for the trimmer.

And frankly it's much more convenient to do at home and spend 5 minutes vacuuming than it was to go to the place I used to go.

Tussiemussies
2-17-15, 1:03am
Now that we have septic here where we live, I cannot dye my hair at home. I will pay a good amount of money for a great haircut because I feel I have the type of fsce that doesn't adapt well to any style. I now go to a great place where the stylists and colorists are rated on a scale and they tell you what their rating is when you initially book with as omeone. They have excellent customer service and are open all week long. This is one place where I splurge....

Seven
2-17-15, 5:29am
I cut my own hair every few months, and only go to the hairdresser once a year if I really want a new style. Getting a haircut is about 25€ here, plus tip (which isn't required, but I know how low their salary is).

Gardenarian
2-17-15, 3:59pm
Most years, nothing. I rarely get my haircut, do my own trimming and coloring.
Maybe $40 every 3-5 years? Not an expense I worry about.

ToomuchStuff
2-17-15, 6:28pm
I just had a thought. Years ago, I remember a relative discussing buying a Flowbe, and then I saw someone using a Petbe. Always wondered how well they worked, LOL.

cscox
2-18-15, 9:56pm
12 x $14 = $168

Alan
2-18-15, 10:40pm
$0 - I invested maybe $30 in a pair of clippers about 15 years ago, haven't set foot in a barber shop since.

Packratona!
2-19-15, 10:40am
I can give you an even worse case scenario.... I have a friend who spends over $500/month on her many lavish and exotic pets, hundreds more each month on make-up, hair and nails, as well as clothing, collectables, and general "crap" she doesn't need, but can't keep up her car payment and got a visit from the repo man.

She's been a lifelong friend, and one day she asked me about making homemade laundry detergent with Borax, Washing Soda and soap bars so she could save a little money. After I quit laughing, I took her hands in mine, looked her strait in the eyes and told her the cost of laundry detergent wasn't her problem and helped her with a REAL budget. At the time, we were both 60-years old (now 62). She had been a career woman and had the total amount of $0 set aside for retirement. I, on the other hand, had been a stay-at-home mom. When they opened up IRA's for non-workers, I started an account and funded it to the maximum each year with my home-based business. She still can't stick to a budget, I'm sorry to say.

Wow amazing story. It is a challenge to help people reach a point at which they realize they have been completely wrong and then get them to change course. Modeling by your own lifestyle and then explaining how you do it (a little bit at a time, you don't want them to go into shock) SOMETIMES is all it it takes to show people the way; but really patterns of lifelong habit are like addictions. Hard to break. And usually people need a lot of hands-on training to make this kind of transition.

Packratona!
2-19-15, 10:42am
$0. SO needed a new beard trimmer about 4 years ago but mistakenly bought a regular barber's hair trimmer. (not sure how he managed that one...) Since I've long had a basic buzz cut I asked him to start doing my haircuts and he has been ever since. Saves me $19 every 3 weeks. Savings of almost $1,300 so far, minus whatever SO paid for the trimmer.

And frankly it's much more convenient to do at home and spend 5 minutes vacuuming than it was to go to the place I used to go.

Yup, exactly. Truly amazing how much time you can save as well as money by learning some basic frugality skills and habits. $1,300 wow. Way to go!

Packratona!
2-19-15, 10:43am
$0 - I invested maybe $30 in a pair of clippers about 15 years ago, haven't set foot in a barber shop since.

You are amazing. So tell us what you are able to splurge on with all the money you saved. Apple stock?

Packratona!
2-19-15, 10:46am
I'm veering off topic, but I think this really does sum it up. Education is a big part of saving, investing, retirement and generally living within one's means, but it's not rocket science; I think for most people of reasonable means who still can't seem to manage their money, underneath it's a matter of conscious or unconscious unwillingness. The feeling that living without limits is a punishment, or a sense of entitlement that tells them they shouldn't have to be bothered with these things or with making choices, or perhaps a fear of material scarcity that overwhelms common sense. I have tried to help people in the past and come to the same lesson: there are those who really want to change and learn, and there are those who want a magical no limits, no work wand to wave.

I have concluded that basically people are being educated by the entertainment industry how to live their lives, including their finances and their love lives. How well is that working for them?

Packratona!
2-19-15, 10:51am
None, because I tend to neglect my appearance to some degree, especially hair cuts, of all the things to waste precious weekend time on, getting a haircut! I'm not actually unattractive though. But maybe I should resolve to get a haircut. I can do it! :laff: I could even resolve to do it at least once a year! Uh someday ...

The solution is to multi-task. Find someone to give your hair a trim while you are___________. Suggestions: nab a random teenager girl who would like to try it for the fun of it, you can barter with her with some freebie you got.

Alan
2-19-15, 10:53am
You are amazing. So tell us what you are able to splurge on with all the money you saved. Apple stock?
LOL, No. More like cigars and Mountain Dew.
For me, the payoff is in better use of life energy.

Tenngal
2-19-15, 10:58am
Curious how much others spend per year on haircuts. I spend about $300 (roughly a cut every eight weeks at $45 inclusive of tip). What is your number?

less than $100 because my daughter does hair. When she is busy I have to go else where for a trim. I have about 20% gray and don't do color.

When she was in school at the local community college, I could go there and get trims for about $10. They also did manicures and pedicures for a great discount price.

Spartana
2-19-15, 2:03pm
Zero - cut my own long straight hair and bangs. Try to grow it long enough to donate to Locks of Love before cutting it though. I've only had one professional haircut in my adult life and I think it looks better when I do it myself.

ToomuchStuff
2-19-15, 2:50pm

Similar to why I pay to have it done. When she started, she was in school, needing subjects. Since, she has been saving as she is getting married soon. If it wasn't someone I considered a friend, who is starting out, I could have it done cheaper, or learn to do it myself.

Packy
2-19-15, 3:53pm
I just don't think it is anybody's business how much I spend on haircuts or whether I spend anything on haircuts or if even get a haircut--it is entirely a personal matter! You kids remind me of those stereotypical 1960's Phys Ed Teachers! Stop invading my privacy! Stop being so inquisitive! What do you care about my hair care habits? I don't ask you kids how much you weigh, do I? I really couldn't less about your haircuts--Re: frequency/expense/style/now or in the future! Leave me alone! Go away! Stop the bullying! Stop The harassment! MYOB! Hope that helps you kids some. Thankk Mee.

frugal-one
2-19-15, 6:19pm
, don't think it is anybody's business how much I spend on haircuts or whether I spend anything on haircuts or even get a haircut--it is entirely a personal matter! You kids remind me of those stereotypical 1960's Phys Ed Teachers! Stop invading my privacy! Stop being so inquisitive! What do you care about my hair care habits? I don't ask you kids how much you weigh, do I? I don't c e less about your haircuts--frequency/expense/style/now or in the future! Leave me alone! Go away! Stop the bullying! MYOB! Hope that helps you kids some. Thankk Mee.

Stop coming here and you can quit your grousing!

Packy
2-19-15, 8:32pm
Stop coming here and you can quit your grousing!Stop telling me what to DO! Hope that helps you some. Thankk Mee.

Packratona!
2-20-15, 2:48pm
I just don't think it is anybody's business how much I spend on haircuts or whether I spend anything on haircuts or if even get a haircut--it is entirely a personal matter! You kids remind me of those stereotypical 1960's Phys Ed Teachers! Stop invading my privacy! Stop being so inquisitive! What do you care about my hair care habits? I don't ask you kids how much you weigh, do I? I really couldn't less about your haircuts--Re: frequency/expense/style/now or in the future! Leave me alone! Go away! Stop the bullying! Stop The harassment! MYOB! Hope that helps you kids some. Thankk Mee.

This is pretty funny!

libby
2-20-15, 3:02pm
This is pretty funny!

Not really....

Packy
2-20-15, 3:06pm
Well, okay--if you kids really must know about my hair habits, here it is. I've been using the same barber for over 25 years. The guy has been renting the same shop for 30+ years. He is definitely a Simple Living type, but he doesn't need a forum board to figure it out. I go in there about every 8-10 weeks, and he charges me $8-10. It does vary. He's been driving a 1994 Geo Metro for 10-12 years(maybe 15 years, idk), that has over 300,000 miles on it. I was at the wreckin' yard last spring, where they had a wrecked geo with really good, like-new tires on it @4/$100--they use 12" rims and are extremely hard to find, new or used. So, I called and told him about the tires and he bought 'em. His gratitude for that, has helped keep my haircuts affordable, lately. Also, I use this "stuff" I get from walgreens, that helps detail out my hair, to keep from looking like an old geezer. But, not so much that I am carded for Senior Discounts. That stuff runs prolly $10-15 a year.

Packy
2-20-15, 3:07pm
Not really.... Well, I hope it helped you some, anyway. Thankk Mee.

Packratona!
2-21-15, 2:59pm
Well, okay--if you kids really must know about my hair habits, here it is. I've been using the same barber for over 25 years. The guy has been renting the same shop for 30+ years. He is definitely a Simple Living type, but he doesn't need a forum board to figure it out. I go in there about every 8-10 weeks, and he charges me $8-10. It does vary. He's been driving a 1994 Geo Metro for 10-12 years(maybe 15 years, idk), that has over 300,000 miles on it. I was at the wreckin' yard last spring, where they had a wrecked geo with really good, like-new tires on it @4/$100--they use 12" rims and are extremely hard to find, new or used. So, I called and told him about the tires and he bought 'em. His gratitude for that, has helped keep my haircuts affordable, lately. Also, I use this "stuff" I get from walgreens, that helps detail out my hair, to keep from looking like an old geezer. But, not so much that I am carded for Senior Discounts. That stuff runs prolly $10-15 a year.

This was even funnier!

Packratona!
2-21-15, 3:02pm
Mountain Dew TSK TSK! You must have hillbilly teeth! Cigars TSK TSK! I caught my husband smoking one of those things once. He never did it again.

Alan
2-21-15, 3:15pm
Mountain Dew TSK TSK! You must have hillbilly teeth! Cigars TSK TSK! I caught my husband smoking one of those things once. He never did it again.Yeah, someone should probably do something about me.

bae
2-21-15, 3:24pm
$25 every 6-8 weeks or so.

iris lilies
2-21-15, 3:26pm
I cut my own and have done so for 30+ years. Can't say it looks good, but it is done.

DH pays for a haircut. He won't let me touch his since an incident many years ago where I gave him a rather uneven "do."

gimmethesimplelife
2-21-15, 3:53pm
Other than for my high school reunion last year, and for a couple of haircut mystery shops, I have been shaving my hair down to 1/4 inch for a few years now. I do this as it's such an easy way to go with my hair, doing so saves time and money, and the trimmer/shaver was $14.99 which I have long since made back in savings. There's not a lot that can wrong with shaving my hair down to 1/4 inch and I like that, too. Something else I have discovered about myself - maybe it's from all the years of waiting tables - I don't really like customer service situations like this even as a customer - if it's not that hard and it's in the range of what I can realistically do, I would just as soon do something myself. Haircuts definitely fall under this category for me as like I said, there's not much that can go wrong with shaving your hair down to 1/4 inch. But I'm not completely immune to being vain - for my high school reunion I wanted it perfect - a level of perfection I can't get 100% at home (probably). Rob

Reyes
2-21-15, 5:49pm
I'm in awe of those brave enough to cut their own hair Iris, is your hair long? Short?

iris lilies
2-21-15, 5:59pm
I'm in awe of those brave enough to cut their own hair Iris, is your hair long? Short?

It's always about shoulder length. It is thick, or at least it used to be thick, and could hide unevenness. For years I wore it half-up and half down, then I became old and I just put it up in a clip.

I don't see how I could maintain a short haircut, though, that requires someone to go around the back of my head and cut.

But, I am toying with the idea of cutting my hair short (er) on my day of liberation from work in a few weeks. I think that I will hate short hair in the long run, but after 30 years of the same hair, I have SUCH an urge to cut it! haha.

frugal-one
2-21-15, 7:16pm
This was even funnier!

You are the only one who thinks so.

Reyes
2-21-15, 8:26pm
IL, how did I miss this?? You are retiring??

Packratona!
2-21-15, 10:04pm
You are the only one who thinks so.

I am easily amused...

Songbird
2-21-15, 11:31pm
None. I've been cutting my hair and hubby's too for years. It's saved us a lot of money.... My sister is a hairstylist and she taught me how to cut my kids' hair back in the day, then eventually I got brave enough to do my own. I get compliments on it so it must look ok. ;)

iris lilies
2-22-15, 12:08am
IL, how did I miss this?? You are retiring??

Yep, I'm out in a few weeks.

I'll put up a thread here after it happens.

gimmethesimplelife
2-22-15, 12:19am
Yep, I'm out in a few weeks.

I'll put up a thread here after it happens.IL, Congrats! Rob

Simplemind
2-22-15, 1:55am
$35 every three months.

mimialmoderlife
2-24-15, 1:36pm
$0 I cut my own. I spend 3-4 years slowly growing it out while trimming it every few months to keep it clean. Then I go to the salon to have it all cut off to donate to a local version of "locks of love". Many salons will provide a free or discounted cut because of the donation as well.

Teacher Terry
2-26-15, 7:02pm
Wow-I am going to be one of the few that spend $ on my hair. When I was young I did not-had my Mom cut it for years. In the last 20 years I pay for a good cut & color every 8 weeks at $100 including tip. I used to be able to go 16 weeks but the grayer I get the more this has changed. However, it is something that is very important to me.

frugal-one
2-26-15, 9:48pm
Just had my hair cut today. The rates have gone up to $21 (not including tip). I get my hair cut every 6-8 weeks and color my own hair. I buy the color on sale and use half since my hair is short. I have found that in using JR Liggetts shampoo bar the color is not stripped as in other shampoos so I don't need to color as often.

Selah
2-26-15, 10:06pm
I cut my own hair for years and did all right with it. Once every nine months or so I might go into a "real" salon to get things tidied up properly, and then I start the cycle over again. When I do go into a salon, I go somewhere like Great Clips or Super Cuts, and pay about $22 including tip, because I like to get my hair washed before they cut it...I find it comes out better that way.

creaker
2-28-15, 2:29pm
Just did this week - $19, about every 4-5 weeks.

My son, adult with autism, doesn't handle sitting in the barber chair well (and doesn't handle waiting for the barber chair at all), so about every 6 weeks I sit him in a chair in front of the TV and do it myself.

TVRodriguez
3-3-15, 10:23am
$42 (including tip) about 3 or 4 times per year with a hairstylist who was another mom at my kids' montessori (she has her own business). I'd like to go more often, as she does a great job and I feel great when she cuts it, but I find it difficult to schedule the time to go. So DH cuts if for me once in a while. He does a pretty good job, but she does a better job. I really should make an appointment now. She is also an amazing colorist, and she's fixed bad hair color on my before. I've stopped coloring it, but if I ever start again, I'll go to her.

DH cuts his own hair and the kids' hair. I used to pay $10-20/cut for the kids, but DH got better at it, so he does it now.

heatmiser
8-21-18, 2:06am
Retired 6 years ago. Stopped cutting my hair 2 years before that, I had my pension
locked in so they couldn't fire me for not looking Corporate enough.

Pay zero dollars a year, and tie my hair in ponytails when I'm at home,
wife doesn't like man-fur on her rugs.

It gets brittle and breaks off when it gets a little past my shoulders so it never gets
crazy long. "Don't ever have to cut it, 'cause it stopped by itself" :-)

Yppej
8-21-18, 5:49am
$80 per month including tip for a cut and color, so $960.00. I have thought at times of breaking my routine, but haven't gone to two process color as it would cost more. If there were not age discrimination in the workplace I would probably go gray.

Ultralight
8-21-18, 8:23am
I like to shave my head at home as it is free. But I am trying to grow my hair out into a pony tail. haha

So not get haircuts is pretty cheap too.

happystuff
8-21-18, 8:41am
$22 including tip. I usually get my hair cut once a year... really short! Then spend the rest of the year letting it grow out and my dd giving me trims. If it gets past that "in-between" stage, I let it keep growing; if I get tired of that in-between length, I get it cut short again and start all over. Right now I'm *almost* at the let-it-keep-growing stage. LOL

catherine
8-21-18, 9:20am
I get about 3 haircuts a year. It's a long-layered bob that ranges from chin-length to shoulder-length. I go to a chain and pay $25 per cut. I stopped coloring my hair 3 years ago so I don't have to pay for that anymore. I have to say that my DIL gave me a gift card to an expensive salon last Christmas, and I got the best haircut I've had in ages, but with a bob you truly don't have to pay much--almost any hairdresser can do a decent job.

I would never cut it myself, especially while I'm still working.

razz
8-21-18, 11:00am
You folks are really thrifty! I have found a hairdresser who finally is giving me the cut that my very fine straight, straight hair needs - the Classic Pixie. I pay $30 wash, cut and set every 6 weeks which includes the tip.

SteveinMN
8-21-18, 11:06am
$23 pretty much every month; maybe a week or two's slip once in a while. So let's say 11 haircuts a year at 23 (tip included); $253. I could get cheaper haircuts but this barber knows how to cut only the gray hairs... ;)

Teacher Terry
8-21-18, 12:24pm
Once every 8 weeks I get a haircut which costs 40 with tip and once every 3 months I get it colored. I go to 2 different people. So 580 total for the year.

JaneV2.0
8-21-18, 4:13pm
Zip. Nada. When I feel my hair getting too long, I whack it off.
Years ago, I got it cut once a year or so for about twenty bucks.
If I were going to go fancy with cut or color, I've seen a lot of fake hair to aspire to. You don't have to worry about it growing out that way.