PDA

View Full Version : St. Patrick's Day

lessisbest
3-2-15, 11:21am
This is my favorite holiday, and I delight in it even more when it lands on Friday or Saturday and we can have a proper hooley (party). The reason I love it is because the traditional Irish food I prepare is great, the music is wonderful, and you don't have to buy anyone gifts, or get bogged down with holiday preparations and social commitments. Hubby is mostly Irish and have a wee bit in my family tree, but it's a great day everyone can enjoy just for the food and music.

We'll celebrate this year with a lovely traditional Irish meal and watch the first season of "Killinaskully" (again). A story about a fictitious Irish town. What a HOOT!

Do any of you do anything special? Have any recipes you'd like to share? Any favorite songs?

IshbelRobertson
3-2-15, 1:03pm
I've been in Ireland on 17 March a few times, over the years.

It was/is primarily a religious festival and a family occasion. In recent years I noticed the Americanisation, even in remote areas, with food that was barely known in Ireland!

I still get shamrock sent by a relative and wear it on the day.

ETA I regularly make Irish Stew, using Darina Allen's recipe. I took a couple of courses at Ballymaloe, her cookery school. I believe her daughter in law Rachel Allen now runs it.

I make soda bread, too, although I tend to use a family recipe, not an Irish one!

Packy
3-12-15, 2:24pm
I am not trying to be funny, and I never was an Honor Roll student(if you get my drift), so I hope you kids will try not to be offended if I tell you with all seriousness that I will be attending and participating in a so-named annual St Patrick's Day Event. I won't say what the activity is, because I don't think you'd be interested. It does not involve Food(or drink), Comfort, Security, Prestige, or Graaaaandkids n' Handicrafts. It is outside the realm of that, so I don't blame you kids for not being interested. The event DOES convene at a Church, but not inside the church. It convenes outside. Hopefully, this answers the OP's question in an entirely appropriate manner. Thank Mee.

Lainey
3-13-15, 3:05pm
In the last few years I've had a tradition with 2 friends that we meet for drinks at an Irish bar the night before St. Pat's.
The bar is all decorated, everyone is already in a festive mood, but we avoid the craziness of the actual day and still enjoy ourselves.

zeaxmays
3-17-15, 9:08pm
we prayed the regular rosary tonight and then prayed the st. patricks chaplet as well.